Part 4: Chapter 1
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Yeah... I don't think I'll be able to make it in today," Selene said on the phone. Her voice was soft and shaky, evidence that her nerves were getting to her. "What? Yes... I know I left early that one day. Huh? Why? Because I had an emergen—" Selene ended her sentence short. She held onto the Pho 68’s phone with trembling hands. A muffled voice came out of the phone, making Selene frown even further. She then hung her head low and gently put the phone back on its hook. 

"You okay, Selene?" Quang asked. He was seated at one of the tables in just a tank top and sweatpants. He hunched over a bowl of cereal, still groggy-eyed from his short sleep. 

"Not really." Selene dragged her feet to the desk and sat next to a sleeping Vic. He leaned back in the seat with his arms crossed and his feet up on the table while a newspaper covered his face. "This is the first time I've ever been... fired." Selene placed her across the surface of the table and plopped her head down on top. 

"Ah. So they fired you before you could quit, huh?"

"Uh-huh." 

"That's rough. But you were going to quit anyway, right? Not like it makes much of a difference if you were fired of if you quit. All that matters is that you're free now."

"I suppose that's one way to look at it." Selene lifted her head up and rested her cheek on the palm of her hand. "At least now I have plenty of time to look for work."

"There you go!" Quang said before scooping a spoonful of fruity cereal. "And don't forget, if you can't find another job to work at, you can—"

Selene gave him a sharp glare. "How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not working here?"

"Just consider it a Plan Y, okay?"

"I'm still on Plan A at the moment. Might take a while to get there." Selene turned to her side and watched Vic's body move up and down in rhythm of his snoring. She reached over and snatched the newspaper off his face. "Of course he's reading the comic strips," Selene muttered as she opened the paper further. She skimmed the contents before turning over to the next set of pages. "Let's check the classified ads."

"You hear that, Vic?" Despite Quang's call, Vic remained dormant. "Hey! Vic!" Quang said louder, only to have the snoring continue. He reached across the table and grabbed a wet rag and tossed it at his dormant friend. The rag landed with a splat.

"Huh? What?" Vic shot up, the rag slipping off his face. He turned his head from side to side rapidly. "The Union?"

"No, Vic," Selene said with narrow eyes. "Even worse."

"White Swan?"

"No. Job searching."

Vic leaned back his seat and closed his eyes. "You're right. That is worse."

"Don't get too comfortable here, Vic," Quang said as he swallowed another scoop of cereal. "I had to fight tooth and nail with both of my parents just to convince them to let you stay here for the morning! No way they're gonna let you hang out in my room for weeks on end like before. Especially if you're not working."

"I make money!" Vic shot back. 

"The couple of bucks you make playing guitar down by the boardwalk will not be enough."

"Whatever. I'll find something." He closed his eyes, making himself cozy in the chair. "Eventually."

"I'm sure places are just dying to hire someone with a resume like yours," Quang snapped back. "Sanjiegun practitioners are in short supply, after all."

"If only everyone thought like you," Vic replied with shut eyes.

"Let's see here," Selene said as her eyes scanned the ads on the back of the newspaper. "Cashier... pizza delivery... taxi driver... Gee, Isla Lucrecia isn't really known for its job opportunities, huh?"

"Definitely not in this part of town."

Selene's eyes grew as she came across a specific ad. "Waitress needed at The Family's Stone. Help needed ASAP. Full time positions available. You ever heard of that place, Quang?"

His spoon plunged into his milk. 

"That's not a good sign," Selene said as she looked at the silverware. 

"Oh yeah. I've heard of it. It's a club over in the King Mateo part of town," Quang replied. He lifted his spoon out of the bowl. "It's a ritzy music place. Lots of talent got a start in there."

"That was in the past, man," Vic interjected, sitting upright in his chair. "The location is a piece of rock and roll history! Some of the best live LPs were recorded there! But that was a long time ago. Now it's just a place where washed up pop stars go when their careers fizzle out. Nobody there plays instruments anymore. It's a glorified karaoke joint at this point."

"That sounds fun!" Selene said almost giddily. "So that probably means that competition for the spot is fierce."

"Trust me. It's not worth it. Been there a few times. They just use its history to draw in tourists. Then all they have is some local wannabe or a washed-up one hit wonder lip-sync to one of last year's pop hits. It's terrible Selene. Truly terrible."

"I think that sounds like a good time to me," Selene replied. She then turned to Quang. "But you dropped your spoon as soon as I mentioned The Family's Stone."

"King Mateo is a rough neighborhood."

"But it's in Isla Lucrecia. Can't be much worse than having to worry about construction workers coming in and wrecking your place on a daily basis."

"They don't like outsiders there, Selene. The gang that runs it very territorial."

"Are you talking about that one gang down there?" Vic asked loudly. "You're over exaggerating."

"Am I Vic?" Quang said with annoyance. 

"Yeah. You are. I go by there all the time too. And I'm just fine!"

"See?" Quang looked at Selene. "Told you. That's Vic-anese for 'I got into some fights and got out unscathed.'"

"Well, maybe Vic's right this time," Selene replied. "How would they even be able to tell if I live in King Mateo? Better yet, how can the neighborhood even grow if they're so territorial?"

"I don't know. I don't live there. It's just what the word on the streets is."

"Just a rumor, bro. That's all it is. Trust me, I've been there. Only got into like two... maybe three fights there. Tops."

"So you're saying it's a nice part of town then, huh? If you've gotten into a handful of brawls there, then it must have a friendly community."

"Not saying that. But it most definitely isn't some place where some gang is just waiting to beat down anyone who crosses them. Believe me Selene. If you don't mind sacrificing your eardrums, you'll be just fine working at The Family's Stone over in King Mateo."

"Come on, Selene!" Quang said in exasperation. "Earlier in the morning you were scolding Vic! Now you're thinking about taking his advice on your career choice? A person who has never had a job in his life?"

"I don't think it could hurt to at least just check it out," Selene replied. "I think after what we've been through, there's not much in this city that can shake me. If anyone tries to start something..." She put her fists up and started jabbing at the air. "I'll do 'em like I did Fatima!"

"That's what I'm talking about!" Vic said as he held his hand towards Selene, waiting for a high-five. 

"I need money, Quang. I just lost my job. I won't be wandering around King Mateo all night. I'll just go to work and then go home. Is that okay, Dad?"

Quang raised an eyebrow. "You're roasting me for being a concerned friend?"

"Yes! Well, somewhat. I appreciate the concern Quang. I honestly do. But you seem to forget that you came to me looking for help in your search for Vic. I think I can handle myself if I play my cards right."

"What else is there?" Quang asked as he turned his attention back to the bowl of cereal. "Maybe there's something closer by. Or something that pays better."

Selene skimmed the ads again. "Nothing else comes to close to that job. Not in hours. Not in pay. Not in... lack of requirements. I'm going to give them a call. See if I can get a shot at an interview before someone else takes it." Selene took the newspaper with her and headed back towards the phone, leaving the other two alone together at the table. Quang put his spoon back into the empty bowl while cutting his eyes at Vic. 

"What?" Vic asked with confusion. 

"Why did you have to open your big mouth?" Quang asked quietly.

"I was just giving my honest input."

"No one asked for it!"

"I don't get it. What's the big deal? Selene said she needs a new job. She seems to like the idea of working at a glorified karaoke bar despite what I've told her."

"Because it's dangerous, Vic! She could get hurt!"

"You're looking too deep into this dude. King Mateo isn't any worse than the rest of the city. Gang members don't bother people that don' t bother them. As long as she's not flaunting off any White Swan stuff, she'll be good."

Quang sighed. "You sure?"

Vic nodded. "Trust me bro."

There was a click as Selene hung up the phone. She smiled and laughed as she jaunted back to the table. "The manager said that they're hiring!"

"Great," Quang said with fake enthusiasm. 

"And he said I can come by for an interview later today!"

"Oh, that's phenomenal!" Quang mustered a smile. "What time are we leaving then?"

"I'm thinking around... wait." Selene leaned forward and gave Quang a condescending glare. "What do you mean by 'we?'"

"You... uh... need a ride, right? I can take you there."

Selene pointed at Vic with her thumb. "Is he coming along?"

"I guess so," Quang said with a shrug of his shoulders. "He's the one that knows King Mateo best. And it's not like he's got anything better to do."

Vic put his hand over his mouth as he yawned. "Yeah. Both parts of that statement are true." He closed his eyes and tilted his head against the back of his seat. "Just wake me when you finally decided to head out."

1