Part 4: Chapter 3
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"This is where you'll be working." Malthe stood inside the entry way, one arm extended as he presented the area ahead to Fátima. The door to the building shut, startling the kendoka. She turned around and saw two men lock the swing doors. "Having thoughts about quitting already?" the bodyguard mocked while her back was towards him.

"Of course not," Fátima said calmly. 

"Good. Because this isn't the kind of position that you can just walk out on." 

Fátima focused on the area inside. The room was large and well lit, consisting of rows upon rows of exercise equipment. Along the back wall were dojo mats that covered the floor. Members of the White Swan dressed in matching white tank-tops practiced jabs and lunges in a synchronized manner. Their punches as well as their shouts all fell in line with one another.  

"Looks like your men have got a good foundation," Fátima said. 

"The prior instructor taught them well."

"What happened to their old instructor?"

Malthe turned his head to the kendoka and gave her a piercing gaze. "If I told you, you'd end up like him."

"Got it."

The bodyguard stepped into the gym. "Let me introduce you to the class." Fátima followed, trailing close behind. As they traversed past the men exercising, the kendoka's gaze jumped from side to side. All the guards were too focused on their exercise and training routines to pay mind to her, but that didn't stop Fátima from becoming overrun with nervousness whenever a stray pair of eyes so much as glanced at her. The trek from the entrance to the mats at the other end of room felt to continue forever, dragging on Fátima's feeling of unease. 

"Pay attention Fátima," Malthe said with his head turned just over his shoulder. "This is how the White Swan gets into shape." The kendoka remained focused on the individuals on the mat as they continued their movement undisturbed despite the presence of Malthe. The crowd of men and women, close to a hundred in size, all performed a stationary high kick before turning to face Malthe. With their fists clenched, they let their arms rest by their sides. 

"Awaiting orders, sir!" they all shouted in unison without looking at the bodyguard. 

"This is Fátima," Malthe said both loudly and clearly. "She is going to be your new instructor. This woman has taken down some of the top members of your class with ease. Now she has full control over everyone in this room during training hours. Is that understood?"

"Yes sir!" All of the White Swan stomped one foot, straightened their posture and put their hand to their forehead in a salute and held the pose. Malthe then looked down at Fátima. 

"Don't let this power get to your head. Remember, you're here to teach these people to defend and enforce the White Swan's reach! If they fail, you fail."

"I understand," Fátima replied confidently. 

"Good. You're a swift learner." Malthe then turned to address the class. "Return to your routine! Fátima will be back later to give you your first lesson."

"Yes sir!"

The body guard tilted his head towards the door against the back wall. "Come with me. There are still some other people that you need to know. But before we head through, why don't you issue your first command?"

Fátima's eyes glossed over the class. "What should it be?"

"Doesn't matter. It's just important that you establish who is in charge."

"I get it." Fátima took a firm stance. She spread her stance wide and kept her hands behind her back. The kendoka stood in front of the members of the White Swan, looking straight ahead while they all remained like statues in their saluting-pose. 

"Everyone!" she shouted. "Return to your routine! Start from the beginning!"

All of the crowd moved their arms slowly in front of their face before doing a downwards thrust. Still synchronized, they continued with their routine, executing flawless high kicks in unison. As she watched her new class perform, a short smile came across her face. Malthe walked to her side and nodded his head in approval. 

"Remember what I said about letting the power get to you. Don't forget the reason why you're here."

"Yeah. I understand. Gotta say. It's nice to finally teach a class that knows what they're doing."

"The Ingwersen family only pays for the best." The bodyguard then walked through the sea of practicing guards. Without a word, the kendoka followed behind him until they made their way to the door that Malthe had pointed out earlier. "Of course, we don't expect you to teach all of these people by yourself."

"You're saying that I've got some fellow instructors?"

"Yes. They can't dedicate their full time to helping the White Swan train, but they have proven to be more than loyal to the Ingwersen family in a multitude of ways." Malthe put his hand on the handle on the door before giving Fátima another glare. "Do you work well with others?"

The kendoka chuckled. "I think I can learn."

"You better." With one hand, Malthe pushed the door open. Light rushed out through the open entrance. He held the door open with his arm and gesture with his free hand for Fátima to enter. She stepped inside and was greeted by three pairs of eyes. One belonged to Ulyssa who had lifted her head up from a cup of tea and biscuits placed in front of her at an ornate marble table.

"Your majesty," Malthe said. He bowed. Fátima gave him a brief look before following suit. 

"Good morning, Malthe," Ulyssa said before taking a quiet sip of her tea. "I see you've brought the new employee along. What's her name again? Felicia?"

"Fátima, your majesty."

"Oh, right." She let the cup back down on the small tray. "This is the new instructor that I was talking to you about," Ulyssa said to the other two sitting at the opposite end of the table from her. One was a man that looked slightly older than Fátima with a fair complexion. His hair was blonde and brushed back over the top of his head. He wore a white dress shirt with the top few buttons unfastened, showing his bare chest. A piece of metal plating that covered one his shoulders. He ran his fingers through his hair and stared at the kendoka with his emerald eyes. 

"Is this who will be in charge of us?" the man said with a distinctly European accent and a face verging on disgust. 

"Yes, Afonso," Ulyssa stated. "I've seen her take on Malthe. And survive. She even has won martial arts tournaments. This woman will replace that old instructor."

"I see." Starting from the bottom up, Afonso scanned the kendoka. "Faces like hers tend to not carry much experience."

"You know if things don't work out, we can always just hire someone else. It's not like instructors will be in short supply with how much I offer."

The third person at the table got up from her seat, revealing her entire body. Her hair was long and blonde, flowing down behind her back. She wore a brown military jacket, contrasting with the flowing silk blouse that she wore underneath. A pair of shorts covered her thighs, and beneath that was a pair of black stockings. The woman extended one of her ivory hands, showing off her fingerless gloves. 

"I for one am excited to meet another female martial artist," she said with a smile, showing off her immaculate teeth. Her blue eyes made contact with Fátima's. Her voice carried a deep French accent. Fátima looked behind her towards Malthe, asking with her eyes on how to approach the situation. The bodyguard remained motionless, leaving the kendoka to answer on her own.

"Likewise," she said after giving the woman's hand a shake. 

"I go by Giselle. Welcome to the team."

1