Part 4: Chapter 15
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Selene opened the door slowly, wincing as she prepared herself for the worst. "You two okay out there?" she called out. Even after a few seconds of waiting, there was no reply. She looked outside, poking her head out from the open door slowly and looking from side to side. Vic and Hualing were in the same poses as before with their arms crossed and their backs to each other. "Uh, you two can come in now."

"Oh, awesome!" Vic turned around first, brushing past Selene and heading in a straight line towards the table closest to the kitchen. Hualing turned her head around just enough to watch Vic disappear into the restaurant.

"He's got quite the manners," Hualing whispered to Selene. 

"Almost like he's lived on the streets his entire life.”

"That's no excuse," Hualing replied as she shook her head. She entered the dining area and pulled up a seat on the opposite end of the table from Vic. 

"What's on the menu today, Quang?" Vic said nonchalantly as he kicked his feet up on the table. Hualing stared at the mud and grime stuck to the bottom of his boots, seething with anger. She opened her mouth, only to take a deep breath and silence herself upon seeing Selene sit down to her left.

"Come on Vic. Sit like a normal person. You know how Quang's mom gets."

"But—"

"Vic!" Selene put no effort in hiding her annoyance. Without another word, Vic sat himself upright and rested his elbow on the table's surface and used his hand to prop up his head. 

"A bit of stern talking gets him to act right, huh?" Hualing said. 

"Yeah," Selene whispered. "Sometimes you have to be kind of mean."

"Like a mutt."

"You gonna let her talk about me like that?" Vic moaned. "I managed to keep my lips zipped the entire ride!"

Selene buried her eyes into the palm of right hand. With a hefty sigh and a wag of her head, she looked towards the kitchen. "Quang! I have a feeling I'm going to need a bit of backup here!"

"You're going to be on a solo mission today, Selene." The sound of rushing water was accompanied by the sizzle of ingredients on the stove. "This is a big order. Got a feeling I'm going to be here for a long time. I could fit in your orders though if you tell me what you want now."

"Just gimme a bowl with a bit of everything," Vic said as his fingers drummed along the surface of the table. 

"Kitchen sink?" Quang called out through the window.

"Yeah."

"Selene?"

"Oh, it doesn't matter. Uh, let's go with beef this time."

"Got it. And how about the first-time customer?"

 "Just give me... whatever. I'm not picky."

"All right. I'll give you the basic chicken pho. How does that sound?"

Hualing gave a thumbs up. "That's just fine with me." 

“Three bowls, coming right up!" Quang called out from the kitchen. The sound of metal and ceramic overcame the rushing water from the sink. 

"Quang's a quick cook. Shouldn't be too long before our food is sitting in front of us," Vic said as he rubbed his stomach. "Man, I can already taste it now."

"So, Hualing," Selene said as she turned towards the singer with a small smile. Hualing didn't return the sentiment, instead maintaining her look of disappointment. "How do you like the place?"

"It's uh..." Hualing tilted her head, looking at the decorum. "Got character. I can say that for sure."

"Yeah. The Nghiems have been maintaining this place for a while. It's been around for as long as I can remember. Looks almost the same as it did nearly twenty years ago."

Hualing reached behind her and with a single finger stroked the wall. She looked at the tip of her pointer finger, her face scrunching upon seeing the film of dust that coated it. "Looks like it hasn't been properly wiped down since then, either." Hualing then took a napkin off from the table and wiped her finger clean. 

"Actually, come to think of it, the only thing that is new is probably this table." Vic leaned to his side in his seat and shook one of the legs. "Don't remember a table looking like this here."

"It's a story for another day," Selene said with an awkward giggle. "But back to the previous topic. You ever had pho before, Hualing?"

The singer shook her head. "Nope. Can't say that I have. I'm not too into fast food."

"This isn't fast food!" Vic declared, rising from examining the table's crooked leg. "You're taste buds are about to experience some of the finest dining in this part of town!"

"I can see this being fine dining for someone that lives in alleyway. But trust me when I say that I know what fine dining is. I can guarantee you that there is nothing close to that in Isla Lucrecia save for the small block over in Royal’s Peak.”

"You've had food from one of those places?" Selene asked in awe.

"Of course!" A smile grew on Hualing's face. "I used to eat one of those restaurants at least four times a week."

"I'm super jealous. From what I've heard, the dress code to get in alone would cost me an entire week's paycheck. And then some!"

"It's not for everybody, I will admit that. But they have to keep it exclusive for a reason." She shot a quick glare towards Vic before making eye contact with Selene again. "They have to be that way to keep out the individuals that are... less than savory."  

"Wow." Selene followed up the sentiment with a long sigh. "It has always been a dream since I was a little girl to dine like a celebrity."

"It's not all that it's cracked up to be, Selene. Trust me. Everyone there is fake. They all put on an act to try and pretend to be something they're not. It's all about putting on a show and trying to 'outclass' the person next to you."

"Sounds familiar," Vic muttered under his breath. “Think we all know someone like that.” Hualing shot him another cold glare from the side before addressing Selene again. 

"The food is good, but the company gets to you after a while. Although I don't miss having someone offer to pay for my food every evening. Now that was luxury."

"A young popstar like you must have plenty of wealthy men willing to pay for you still! Any reason you can't go back?"

Hualing took in a deep breath and closed her eyes. "If only that were the case. You see, record labels and music producers weren't the only ones that blacklisted me. Seems like everyone in that part of Isla Lucrecia doesn't want anything to do with me. No matter who I talk to, they treat me like I'm..." She took another look at Vic. He appeared to be too focused on watching Quang prepare food from the kitchen window to notice her staring. "They treat me like... you know..."

"Must be that lovely personality of yours," Vic said without taking his eyes off the kitchen. 

"Right. Because all the socialites are just lining up to have breakfast with you."

"Quang and Selene are the only 'socialites,' I need," Vic said while gesturing towards himself with his thumb. "Don't need the attention of a bunch of yuppies to give me self-worth."

Hualing opened her mouth, ready to retaliate with a quip of her own only for Selene to insert herself before the insult could come out. "That's so terrible, Hualing," she began. "What in the world happened for your career to go down so quickly? If... you don't mind me asking that is." Selene then wagged a finger a foot in front of Vic's face. "And I don't want to hear a peep out of you! I already know what you were going to say!"

"Am I really that predictable?" Vic replied. 

"Yes!" both Selene and Hualing declared simultaneously.

"Anyway. Back to your question. As much as I hate to admit it, I know exactly why my career has crash landed." Hualing crossed her arms on the table's surface and plopped her head down on them. "I thought I did the right thing. Scratch that. I know I did the right thing. But unfortunately, it seems like I must have ticked off the wrong people."

"People with eardrums?" Vic called out. Hualing kept her attention on Selene, responding to Vic's comment by raising the palm of her hand. 

"Who... could you have possibly upset?" Selene said with hesitation. "Sounds like you've made some serious enemies if no one in Lucrecia wants to talk to you."

Hualing sighed again. "I don't know if I could tell you. Don't want you two... and by that I mean you and Quang, to go through what I am."

"You can tell us! Not like we're not used to being in danger."

Hualing scratched the back of her neck, pausing the conversation for a short moment. "Fine. But you didn't hear it from me, okay?" Hualing lifted her head off her arms and looked at Selene in her yes. "Promise?"

Selene placed over her heart and raised the other. "I promise."

Still uneased, the singer's eyes shifted around the room once more. "You ever heard of the name... Ingwersen?" 

0