Part 1: Chapter 1
340 11 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pho 68.

The brilliant red glow of the neon sign was a beacon for anyone with an appetite at this hour. Selene found herself staring at the vertical logo that protruded from the side of the street. She had walked past this corner a few times before but never gave the restaurant a second thought. Now that she was hungry and her typical spots had long since been closed, anything that was open grabbed her attention.

She continued down the sidewalk, wiping away the last bit of pool water from her forehead. The late night combined with summer heat meant that the streets were less dense, letting Selene pass through the crosswalk in no time. Lights pierced through the windows, inviting her to peek inside. She could see one person; a man in a white tank top had his back turned towards the entrance as he wiped down a table. Selene pushed the front door and let the rush of the restaurant’s cool air chill her body.

A bell rang as she stepped further inside. The man looked at Selene, revealing his face as he did so. He was a young adult; short black hair and a goatee showed enough of his beige face to make it clear that he was annoyed. His build was muscular, but his size didn’t stop Selene from maintaining her position and demeanor.

“We’re closed.” He returned to his cleaning, tucking one hand into the pocket of his brown jeans. Selene looked at the sticker plastered on the door’s window, zipping up her purple and pink jacket, concealing the swimming top she had on underneath. With one hand she brushed back a few stray strands of dark brunette hair away from her face.

“It says you close at 12:00,” she replied as she squinted at the restaurant’s sign. Despite his attention being focused on cleaning the table, the worker found himself noticing the accent on her words, unable to properly pin where it sounded like she was from.

“Yeah, that’s right.” The man started to hoist the chairs on top of the table.

“But it’s only 11:48.” Selene stared at the clock just above the order window.

“Close enough.”

“Come on, can’t you cut me a break? I just got off from a long shift at the rec center. Your place is the only one that’s open for the past four blocks.” Selene walked over to the table that the employee was attending and took a seat in the only chair on the floor. She looked over the options before making eye contact with him. “What’s the quickest item on here?”

The man raised an eyebrow as he examined the woman in front of him; her darker complexion became more apparent once she was completely in the store’s lighting. His eyes glanced past the large turquoise stones that hung around her neck as he looked down the rest of her body. Despite the loose fitting of her purple swim jacket and matching loose skirt, he could tell that her physique was fit by the shape of her bare legs.

“Sorry, lady. I’ve already started closing. You can always come back tomorrow.” He tucked the rag into his back pocket and made a move towards the backroom. Selene remained leaning over the table, watching the employee walk away without turning around.

“Some customer service you got here!” She exclaimed.

The man opened the door to the kitchen, only making it a step inside before backing out with his hands in front of him. A shorter, older woman pushed him back with one hand. She turned towards the potential customer, gazing at her through her large round glasses.

“Why don’t you help her?” She said with a deep accent that the other man lacked. “Stop being so lazy!” The woman said as she prodded him in the chest with her pointer finger.

“But Ma, I got plans!”

“Your plans can wait. You don’t leave until she’s finished eating.”

He took his wadded cloth out of his pocket and tossed it onto a nearby table before going back in the kitchen. The older woman walked towards the Selene’s table and started to take off one of the chairs that had been placed on top.

“Oh, you don’t have to do that. Here, let me help you.” Selene got up and helped the woman remove the remaining seats and set them upright.

“Don’t worry about that. Sit down.” The older woman pulled the chair back and patted the cushion. Selene nodded and accepted the invitation. “Get whatever you want. Take your time.” A menu was opened and spread before her.

“Thank you. I’ll just take whatever’s the cheapest and quickest. I don’t want to hold your son up.” Selene gave the hostess a wide smile.

“Don’t worry about Quang. He’s got nothing important to do. Now you said you want something cheap?” The woman turned towards the direction of the kitchen. “Quang!” She exclaimed, the sudden noise startling her only patron. “Get her a bowl of pork pho and an eggroll!”

The rattling of pots and pans echoed from the kitchen. “Thank you, Miss…” Selene looked at the woman’s dark red sweater for a nametag but saw nothing.

“Nghiem. Just call me Mrs. Nghiem.”

The young woman nodded. “Thank you, Mrs. Nghiem. I’m sorry if I stopped you from closing.”

“No, no. Don’t apologize. We’re here to serve customers. Don’t feel bad for being hungry,” Mrs. Nghiem said, cupping her hands over her mouth to make sure her voice could be heard all the way in the kitchen. “Quang! Make sure you wash your hands!”

The sound of the faucet running could be heard followed by her son poking his head out through the kitchen window. “I know how to make food, Ma!” Quang exclaimed before shaking his head and sifting through the fridge.

“He should only be a few minutes.” Mrs. Nghiem left Selene alone at her seat as she returned to the door at the other end of the restaurant. Now alone at the table, Selene took a moment to relax and take in the scenery. Her eyes floated around the corners of the building. The décor felt authentic; the lanterns and plants didn’t have the cheap and shiny aesthetic to them as that the faux Asian restaurants in the area had.

Then a savory scent caught her attention. A strong aroma crept out of the kitchen and flooded the main dining area. A rumbling went through her stomach as she leaned from her seat to glance into the kitchen window to see how far along the cook was with her meal. Only his back was visible, but the clank of utensils and dishware reassured her that food was on its way.

Guess it was a good thing that this place was the only one open, Selene thought to herself. The aroma of the food became more intense, making her foot tap as her eyes became fixated on the swing doors attached to the kitchen. The next moment they flung open, revealing Quang with a tray in his hands. Selene smiled and scooted further into her table.

“That smells fantastic!” Selene said with open eyes as she watched the steaming hot red bowl of pho placed before her. Quang dried his hands off with a rag and tucked it back into his pocket, watching with a raised eyebrow as Selene unwrapped her spoon from its napkin and dipped it between the pork and noodles. She raised it towards her mouth and let out a small huff of air.

“You’re not going to wait for it to cool down a bit more?” He inquired, maintaining the same puzzled look.

Selene’s lower lip touched the searing metal of the spoon and bobbed her head back as she lowered the utensil back into the bowl. “Ahh.. I’m just hungry is all.”

“Need something to drink?” Quang asked.

“Is water free?” Selene continued to blow steam away from her spoon.

Quang gave her an irked look. “If you don’t mind it from the tap.”

“A glass of water is just fine then.”

“Alright. Since you’ve been so patient, I’ll throw in a few ice cubes too. On the house.”

“You’re a sweetheart.” Selene continued to blow on her food, hoping to bring the noodles down to an edible temperature.

“Anything for a customer. I’ll be right back.”

Selene nodded as she slurped a spoonful of noodles. The food was still uncomfortably hot but not at the temperature to burn. There was another rinse from the faucet followed by Quang returning with a glass of water. He placed it on the table next to Selene’s dish as she mixed the pork with her vegetables.

“Thank you,” she said as she picked up another scoop of her pho. After taking a whiff of the food she managed to have a complete bite, bringing a long smile to her face. Selene took a moment to chew her food, her taste buds savoring the spicy kick within the ingredients. All the while Quang watched with arms crossed as the customer put the spoon back into the dish for another helping.

“You enjoying it?”

Selene nodded with full cheeks.

“Good. You want it to go?”

The customer paused, her eyes widened as she gave Quang a confusing stare. “Hmm?”

“The meal will be on the house if you take it to go.”

“You’re that eager to get rid of me, huh?” Selene said after a gulp. “You must have some pretty big plans tonight. Got a date or something?”

“What’s it to you?” Quang said as he bobbed his head back in annoyance.

“I’m just trying to make some conversation.” Selene let the spoon clang with the edge of the bowl. “I don’t really care what you’re doing tonight. Your mother has been very kind so I thought I’d share the sentiment. But maybe that trait skipped a generation.” She turned away from her meal and put a hand on her hip while giving Quang a scowl. “Don’t worry I’ll be out of here soon.”

Quang remained silent, keeping his arms crossed and trying hard not to let his annoyance become obvious through his face. He walked back into the kitchen and the clashing of pots and pans rang out through the restaurant once more. Selene returned to her food, excited that it had cooled down enough for her to enjoy it at her own pace. She managed to get noodles, pork and vegetables all into one large spoonful. Steam still radiated from the soup; the warm aroma drifted directly to her face and sent a tantalizing sensation down her stomach.

The pho inched closer.

And then the front door burst open. Selene froze as her eyes darted towards the entrance, spoon still between her lips. A large, burly man appeared and stood inside the entryway. He wore a pair of tattered working boots that encompassed the cuffs of a pair of equally tattered jeans with a frayed belt that looked like it was the only thing keeping the ensemble from falling off his body.

A dingy tank top was tucked in, and just like his pants had been coated in an assortment of residue that had permanently altered the fabric’s color. Slung over his shoulder was a massive sledgehammer that he held onto with one hand while his other hand dangled at his side. He took a step inside, looking around as if he had never been there before while his orange safety vest glistened from the lighting.

“Last stop for the night,” he said with a burly voice, following his sentence with a cough into his arm. He gave his yellow hard hat a brief tug to adjust it upwards. The man’s dark brown eyes were revealed as they narrowed in on Selene.

“Don’t mind us. We’re here to take care a bit of business,” he said in a low voice.

Selene remained still, holding her spoon just inches above her pho. Two doors inside the restaurant flung open simultaneously; on one side Mrs. Nghiem came walking out, her sleeves rolled up halfway past her arms and one finger pointing at the man that had barged inside her restaurant. Quang came out through the door, staring with open eyes when he saw his mother walk dauntlessly towards the intruder.

“Ma!” He shouted but his mother continued pressing forward. She tilted her head up and made eye contact with the massive man, reaching upwards and pressing a finger into the firm muscles of his protruding chest.

“I told you that we’re not paying you anymore!” She continued her poking. The massive man chuckled and stepped to the side, revealing a group of five muscle-bound men dressed in construction worker attire huddled outside of the restaurant.

“These fellas gotta eat too, Mrs. Nghiem,” the leader said with a smirk as he pointed to his gang with his thumb. “You’re really going to let them go home hungry?”

“If they’re hungry then they can pay like everyone else! You’re not getting another cent from us.” Mrs. Nghiem tried to push away the unwanted guest only to have him remain completely still and laugh at her attempt to move him. Quang rushed in between the two and pulled his mother away.

“Ma!” Quang said as he turned his mother to face him. “Let me handle this, okay?”

“Don’t give them any more money!”

“Calm down Ma, alright?” Quang pulled her arms down to her sides and held back her advance. Their eyes locked as she took in a deep breath. “Trust me, okay?” After another sigh she took a step back.

“So, Hudson. What is it that you and your boys want?” Quang said after turning to face the large man, keeping one hand behind his back.

“Come on now. We’re here every week and you and your family have been short on payment the past two months.”

“You know how things have been for everybody in Isla Lucrecia these past few years. Business just isn’t what used to be.” Despite Quang’s heartrate skyrocketing, he kept his demeanor calm.

Hudson rolled his eyes. “You know how many times I’ve heard that spiel before? I like your restaurant. I really do. And I’d hate for something to happen to it. Free meals aren’t going to be enough to cover your insurance forever, Quang.” With a piercing whistle Hudson ordered his men to follow him. Each one took a seat at the large table in the center, shouting with excitement as they poured over the menus. “Get whatever you want fellas! This meal is on the house.”

Quang turned to his mother. He could see tears forming in her eyes. Her fists were clenched as she quivered with rage. “Ma, don’t.” Quang stood in front of his mother, blocking her from advancing towards the gang of uninvited patrons. “You know these guys don’t play around,” he whispered.

“They’re eating us out of business! They think this is a buffet!”

“I get it, I get it. But you saw what they did to the seafood place down the street. You want them to do the same thing here?”

“I’m tired of letting them take advantage of us! Maybe it’d be better to let them tear this place down. At least then we won’t have to give them any more free meals!”

“You’re upset right now. Just let me—" Quang’s words were interrupted by a synchronized slam. Everyone at the table began banging their hands onto its surface and marching in their seats with their eyes set on the cook.

“We’re hungry. You going to take our orders or not?” Hudson said with a smirk as the ruckus ensued. Quang backed away from his mother but not before giving her a sly nod to assure that he had the situation under control.

5