Part 1: Chapter 2
142 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What can I do for you guys tonight?” Quang asked with pen and notebook. Everyone started to state what they wanted at the same time, creating one loud and incoherent conversation. Hudson dropped the full length of his sledgehammer onto the table, shaking it from the impact. The gang became silent as they looked at their leader.

“I’m going first.” He opened the menu and scanned the selection, his finger tapping his chin as he pondered the options. “I want the number three combo. Six eggrolls. Two root beers.”

“Pork, chicken or beef?”

“All of them.”

Quang clenched his pen, pressing down on the notepad as he scribbled the order. “Alright,” he said in a low tone as he held in his anger. “Will that be all?”

“For now.” Hudson chuckled. “We’ll go from my left since these clowns don’t know how to take turns.” He pointed to the man at his side. Even though he was smaller, his build was still fit and formidable. “Make it quick.”

“Just give me what Hudson is having,” the cohort said.

“What meat do you want?”

“All of them!”

Everyone at the table let out a laugh that roared throughout the restaurant. Quang put the pen and notebook down on the table, keeping one of his now free hands behind his back as his eyes panned across the table at each individual. His muscles tensed as he put his legs into a firm stance. The sitting men were distracted by each other, with the leader sitting perfectly vulnerable to his right as he let out loud, bellied laughs. Quang discreetly reached for the weapon stashed behind his back, staring at the leader until an abrupt shove pushed him to his side and broke his concentration.

“All of you are leaving now!” Mrs. Nghiem came rushing in, putting herself between her son and the men at the table.

“Out of the way, lady!” The man that had mimicked Hudson’s order pushed her away with one arm. “We’re trying to eat here.” The older woman lost her footing and went tumbling to the ground. Quang let go his weapon and went to his mother’s side.

“Ma!” Quang held onto his mother’s arm and placed his other hand behind her back. From behind her crooked glasses the tears were blatant; her face a bright crimson as she sobbed. Quang looked up at the table and saw everyone was laughing save for Hudson. His arms remained crossed as he looked down at the scene, shaking his head.

“You think you’re tough?” A feminine voice rang out, quieting the laughter of the other patrons. Quang saw that Selene had made her way to the table. She stood straight with her hands on her hip as she made a firm stance with her legs, facing the man that had attacked Mrs. Nghiem.

“You better mind your business, or else—" The attacker’s words were cut short when he saw Selene raise her right hand with a wide-open palm. In one swift motion the entirety of the surface of her hand had collided into the cheek attacker. There was a loud crack, making everyone at the table jump back. The man tumbled onto the floor with his helmet skidding across the restaurant floor. Silence took over the entire restaurant as all eyes focused on Selene.

A disgruntled Hudson got up from his seat, shaking his head. “Now look at what you’ve done. We can’t just let you get away with hitting poor Chester like that.” Everyone one in the room turned to the Union member who lay on his side with one hand clutching the red spot on his cheek. “Man was just trying to get some food after a hard day’s work.” As he crept forward, his height cast a shadow on the woman; she tilted her head upwards as the realization of the man’s size sank in. Her crossed arms were now at her side, her entire body trembling as she stepped back.

“Hey now,” Selene said with hesitation, “A bunch of hardworking men like yourselves wouldn’t want to risk your employment, right?”

Her words fell on deaf ears as Hudson stepped closer. Selene stopped retreating but her entire body still shook as the gang leader towered over her with a sinister smile.

“Just think of the benefits you’ll be missing,” Selene stammered. “Insurance, vacation. Is all that worth a little disagreement over some pho?” Selene feigned a chuckle accompanied with a shaky grin.

“Lady, we’re Union,” Hudson said.

“So… I’m guessing they can’t fire you since you pay dues?”

“No. You don’t get it. Everyone pays us dues.” Hudson pointed towards the Nghiem family; Quang was till holding onto his mother’s back as he tried to prop her up. “These people have been behind on payment for months now. And when you don’t pay your dues, you lose your benefits. Just like that seafood place down the block.” Quang took another look at his mother, noticing that she was able to stand on her own. With Mrs. Nghiem up, he rushed towards Selene’s side to confront Hudson.

“The dues keep getting steeper with no sign of these ‘benefits’ you’re always talking about,” Quang said with one finger pointing at Hudson.

“Well, those are the terms,” Hudson replied with a shrug. “You agreed to them when you moved here. We keep you safe. We get a small bit of your profits. That’s how insurance works.” He let out a hearty laugh that was accompanied by his crew. “I know the city has fallen on hard times. That’s why we’re kind enough to let your cooking count as payment.” His gaze shifted towards Selene. Hudson’s narrowed eyes made the woman quiver. “But seeing as how you don’t know how to control your guests, we will be requiring some kind of compensation for what happened here tonight.” Hudson noticed the blue stones dangling from Selene’s neck. “That has to be worth something.”

Selene caught wind of what he was looking at and promptly covered the jewelry with her hands. “What? This?”

“Yes. That.”

Her body turned away as she hid the necklace underneath her jacket. “No!”

“We’re leaving with that necklace. You’re just making it harder than it has to be.”

“Please. Maybe we can discuss this. I-I…”

Hudson groaned, his eyes rolling to the back of his head. “It’s getting late. Me and the Union have places to go.” He placed a hand on Selene’s shoulder, turning her to face him. She let out a shriek as his other hand encompassed the jagged stones. He began to pull; Selene could feel the necklace’s wire dig into the skin of her neck.

“Let go!” Selene placed both of her hands on his arm, pressing her fingers into the little surface area of his skin that she could. The necklace’s hook began to give. Selene watched Hudson stare at the jewelry like an animal, giddy at the thought of it becoming his.

Before the hook could break, Quang unsheathed his secret weapon from his back; a sleek pair of black nunchucks cut through the air. It struck Hudson in the arm with a piercing smack. The Union leader froze, blinking twice at the necklace and then looking down at his arm. A long red mark stretched across his forearm. There was a brief tingling sensation followed by a burning soreness that shot up the length of his limb. Hudson withdrew and clutched the injury with his other hand, taking Selene’s necklace in the process.

“Ack…” Hudson gritted his teeth. Quang stood towards his side, holding each half of the weapon in his two hands. He pulled them taught, making the metal of the chain clack.

“Give that back,” Quang demanded. His legs were put into a firm stance as he stared at the Union leader with indignation in his eyes.

Hudson stood upright with the necklace still in his fingers. His men watched on in silence, all seemingly terrified at how quiet their leader had become. He turned to his men while pointing one finger at Quang. “Get him.”

The men fumbled to their feet. Two stood in front of him with their hands out, ready to seize him in a grapple. Quang swung his weapon with finesse, weaving the edge of the nunchucks in and out of his attackers’ ranges, forcing them to keep their distance.

“Quang! Watch your back!” Selene exclaimed as she pointed behind him. After glancing at the attacker to his rear, Quang swung behind him and struck another Union member in the jaw. The man crashed to the floor, bellowing as he cradled his face.

Selene took notice of the two men closing in the distance towards Quang. She lowered herself into a crouching stance, spinning her right leg in a swift half circle towards one of the attackers. The back of her heel collided into his ankle, crushing his leg’s posture and toppling him to the ground.

4