Part 2: Chapter 14
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Just look at him,” Hudson said with disdain in a low tone. Through the window he could see Rodney take Selene in an embrace, her eyes closed while she smiled as she gave him a pat on the back. “Puttin’ on a front like that. I can’t stand that guy.” Hudson kept his hammer rested over his shoulder as he stepped away from the window. His attire was the same as what he had worn at Pho 68; Dingy tank top. Tattered pants. Hard hat.

“And why is that, Hudson?” Fátima asked with arms crossed over her chest. Now that she was away from her dojo, she wore a designer leather jacket with spiked shoulders over her sports top but kept her gi tied around her waist. She carried a long and pouting look as she tried to get a look at the people inside the studio but the lights had been cut out, making it only possible to see silhouettes. Fátima watched a shadow that had the outline of Selene’s hair back away from the hug.

“He’s just so full of himself,” Hudson groaned. “Rodney thinks he’s the scariest man in the entire city. I’m telling ya, there’s nothing better than getting paid to bring him down a notch.” He twirled his weapon by the bottom of the handle, a small grin growing on his face.

“It really bothers you that much to see other people hug, huh?” Fátima said. “Sounds like you’re the one with the problem.”

“What? Trust me. Rodney is a Grade A jagoff. Isn’t that right fellas?” Both he and Fátima turned around to see the rest of the Union nod their heads and say “Yes” in a disorganized manner.

“See? Told you it wasn’t just me.”

Fátima rolled her eyes.

“You’re not thinking about bowing out, are ya? We came all the way over here to put Rodney in his place, remember?”

“Of course I remember!” Fátima snarled. “Belanger threatened my paycheck.”

“Yeah. Not like you’ll find any other place that’ll pay ya to sit around and read magazines all day.”

“Exactly. But that doesn’t mean I have to like what we’re about to do.”

“You know Rodney is the guy that taught Vic, right?” Hudson asked. Fátima remained silent, her stare looking more annoyed than before. “This can be your way of getting back at him for embarrassing you in front of Belanger’s class.”

“Don’t remind me of that.”

“Oh, my bad. Forgot that was a touchy subject,” Hudson chuckled. “But if you’re still feeling uneasy about the whole thing, I’ll tell you what. Me and my boys will focus on keeping Rodney busy. You and your gang can tear the place up. We’ll be in and out in less than half an hour.”

“We won’t be breaking anything. We won’t be hurting anyone.” Fátima looked up towards Hudson, her eyes cutting through him like steel. “Belanger told us to make sure Rodney stays out of the picture. He didn’t say anything about doing anything physical harm.”

“What?” Hudson looked at the kendoka like she was crazy. “You really think a bitter old fighter like Rodney is gonna bend to the same empty threats that you use on suckers that don’t renew their memberships?”

“Believe me. We can make it work. Without excessive violence.”

“Sorry, Fátima. You clearly don’t know Rodney. The man is itching to fight people a third of his age. And he’s more than capable of doing it,” Hudson snapped his fingers. Fátima turned around and saw the Union step up to their leader’s command. “Me and my crew aren’t going to wait out here any longer. If you want to keep your job, I’d suggest you follow. If not,” Hudson shrugged his shoulders, “Maybe we could find you a position in the Union.”

Both Hudson and all his men began laughing as they marched through the front entrance of Rodney’s studio. Fátima and her followers remained behind, with the kendoka shaking her head in frustration. She felt a hand touch her shoulder, making her turn around. Her eyes were red but not a single tear was shed.

“What!?” she shouted. Spencer staggered back from shock.

“I’m sorry if I startled you, s-sensei Fátima…” the man stammered. “But did you want us to follow the Union inside?” He, Jake and Kiki all looked at their leader with wide open eyes.

“Yeah. We’re heading inside.” Fátima held out her bokken, slowly pointing it at each of her subordinates while giving them an angry eye. “But don’t break anything. Don’t hit anyone unless I tell you too. Understood?”

“Yes ma’am,” the three Dragon’s Bite members said in unison.

“Good.”


“Alright, you two be safe out there.” Rodney gave his pair of visitors a farewell wave. Quang had one hand on the door while his other returned the sentiment.

“If we find out anything about Vic, we’ll be sure to-“ Quang’s statement was cut as the front door to the studio flung open, pushing him back against the wall. Hudson came waltzing in, hammer slung over his shoulder as he eyed the old man in the back.

“Evening,” he said with the wave of his hand. The man invited himself in, stepping further inside the studio as the rest of the Union walked inside, each one holding weapons ranging from crowbars to metal pipes. “We’re just stopping by for a visit.”

Rodney had a look of fury on his face. His fists were clenched. His lips curled. The man was too angry to find the proper words to respond. All the while, Hudson continued his own personal tour of the studio, eyeing all the equipment and memorabilia that was scattered about the area. Quang clutched onto the nunchucks he had concealed underneath his jacket. His heart raced as he watched in silence as the Union spread themselves throughout the studio. He then took a glance at Selene. She looked more worried than angry as she took a step back, her head darting around at all the intruders.

“What do you want, Hudson?” Rodney asked sharply. The construction worker looked towards the entrance, nodding once he saw Fátima and her crew step inside.

“There she is!” Hudson said. He then looked at Rodney, still carrying a cocky demeanor. “You know that dojo across town? Dragon’s Bite?”

“Get to the point Hudson!” Rodney snapped. He stomped his foot, startling Hudson and making him step back. “Don’t make me teach you another lesson.”

“You know you’re outnumbered, right?” Hudson waved his hand towards his men as well as Fátima and her crew. The kendoka had her typical apathetic look while her three subordinates all looked uneasy. “Even with your students over there, you don’t stand a chance. So, no need to get all uppity.” An ornate red and white Chinese pot perched on the ground caught his attention. With both hands, Hudson performed a sideways swing like his hammer was a golf club. The pot shattered into countless pieces as it made it a loud clatter. Selene gasped, placing a mouth over hand as she watched Hudson eye one of the hanging lantern lamps just above his head. The man lowered his hammer with both hands, getting ready for an upwards strike until Fátima put an arm on his shoulder.

“Let me handle this,” she said with irritation. “You’ve got the finesse of a drunk gorilla.”

“Fine,” Hudson replied with a shrug of his arm. He kept his weapon low and resting by his side. “Let’s see how you deal with that crazy coffin-dodger.”

Fátima approached Rodney who was still standing motionless, arms crossed and silently furious. She inched closer, her bokken resting along her shoulder as she closed her distance.

“You’re working with the Union now, Fátima?” Rodney said scornfully. “Thought you were better than that.”

“I’m not with the Union, old man,” Fátima said calmly. “I’d rather be anywhere else right now. But I’m here on business matters.”

Rodney remained silent.

“Belanger doesn’t like the way your people keep showing up to Dragon’s Bite and interrupting his classes.”

“I don’t tell them what to do. They’re adults.”

“Yeah. Well, Belanger doesn’t see it that way. He pays the Union very well to make sure that his business stays safe. And not even two weeks apart and we’ve already had that weirdo with the sanjiegun barging in during a lesson.” Without taking her eyes off Rodney, Fátima pointed her bokken at Quang and Selene by the entrance. “Then those two show up and start a scene.”

“You’re saying I sent them?” Rodney scoffed. “If I wanted to start trouble I’d just go there myself. Not like anybody in that circus you call a dojo would be able to stop me.”

Fátima paused for a moment, frustrated in the direction that the discussion was taking. “I’m not saying that. Belanger is.”

“But you’re the one that’s here,” Rodney said with one finger pointing to the ground. “You stepped into my studio. You came with the man that smashed my property. And now you’re making a threat to me!” Rodney’s voice raised with each sentence. “You can try to start something if you want to, but I’ll make sure to end it! Now if you and your gang don’t turn around and head out of my studio this moment I’ll-“

Fátima swung her bokken down, stopping inches away from Rodney’s face. He didn’t flinch. He remained motionless like a statue.

“Can’t you see I’m trying to help, you stubborn old man?” Fátima shouted. Her breathing intensified as she kept her weapon still. “I’m trying to make you an offer so that Hudson and his men don’t destroy everything in here! All you have to do is-“

Rodney took hold of the wooden sword, twisting it downwards with one hand while his other kept Fátima’s arm in place. With a swift twist, he made her release the weapon and took it for himself. He pointed the tip towards the startled woman. “I’m making you an offer,” he said in a low voice. “Get out. Or else.”

1