Part 3: Chapter 11
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Quang led the group away from the vehicle and closer towards the memorial's building site. They marched single file, keeping a low profile as they traversed through the outskirts of the building zone. Using the various trailers and palettes of building materials as cover, the trio managed to get an up-close view of the location. All three bunkered themselves against a steel trailer. Quang stuck his head out just far enough to get a good look into the main building area. 

The faces of the working men were clear. Their movement was sluggish as they continued with their tasks. Each Union looked exhausted by the way their faces sagged and their tasks performed at a slack rate. Further into the site, Quang could see both Hudson and Fátima chatting with one another. The kendoka remained seated, staring at her shoulder while the other man shook his head from side to side. 

"What do you see Quang?" Vic whispered while keeping his entire body obscured by the metal trailer.

"I see me and Selene's best friends. They're mingling right now. And the rest of the Union doing construction. And..." Quang's last word lingered. He moved himself forward to get a better view as he squinted as much as his eyes would allow. A silhouette moved around in the distance. Dark wing-shaped shadows stuck out from the top as continued to move off in the distance. "What is that?" Quang said softly.

"What is what?" Vic clamored to Quang's side and looked into the construction site for himself. His eyes widened when he saw the mysterious figure that Quang had mentioned. "I... I think I recognize that dude!"

"Dude?" Quang asked as he looked up to his friend. "That's a person? I thought it was a piece of equipment."

Vic shook his head. "No way, man. No way. Remember that chick I was talking about earlier? And how she had someone chase me away?"

"Yeah."

"I think that's him. He had on a crazy metal mask. With like, wings sticking out." Vic took his hands and placed them against his forehead, poorly imitating the shape of the shadow. 

Quang stood up straight and pulled Vic to the side so that they were both completely behind the length of the trailer. "So you're telling me that girl you were bothering at the café has something to do with all of this?"

"It'd be a weird coincidence if it wasn't," Vic replied. "But maybe that mask is part of a costume, you know? Like a TV show or movie character."

"It's not October, Vic," Quang said as his eyes cut at his friend. "Why would someone wear a Halloween costume at two in the morning at a construction site?"

"I don't! I was just throwing out ideas!"

"Are you certain that looks like the same mask that you saw from the cafe?" Quang placed his hand on his friend's shoulders and stared him right in the eyes.

Vic nodded. "A hundred percent, man! A hundred percent!"

Quang released Vic and returned to his scouting position. "Then what do they have to do with the Ingwersen Memorial?" he said just loud enough that Vic and Selene could hear him. 

"Maybe he's got a connection with the Ingwersens?" Selene suggested. 

"Possibly. Either way, I don't think I'd want to go up against someone wearing a bird mask if I didn't have to."

"That's what I'm here for!" Vic slapped Quang on the back of his shoulder. "If that big mask dude is too scary for ya, I'll keep him distracted while you and Selene go and wreak some havoc."

"Let's just leave that as Plan C for now," Quang replied. "I'd prefer to keep the fighting at a minimum. If possible."

"He's already been suplexed once!" Selene added. Quang turned around and shot her an annoyed look. Vic's cheeks bloated as he held in laughter.

"Are you talking about Hudson?" Vic asked. "You let him suplex you?"

"Of all times to bring this up!" Quang quietly barked towards Selene.

"Sorry," she murmured as she pressed her back against the cover of the trailer. 

After shaking his head, Quang returned to surveying the site. His eyes drifted around before zeroing in on a sputtering power generator a short distance from the building being constructed. A long series of wires were entangled on the ground adjacent to it while bright lights kept the area more than well lit. He snapped his fingers. "Okay, I think I've found the first step of the plan!"

"Let's hear it!" Vic said. Quang motioned for the other two to come in closer and form a huddle. They placed their arms along one another's backs and formed a small circle. Selene and Vic looked towards Quang.

"There's a power generator right next to whatever they're building over there," Quang whispered. "Looks like it’s what keeps all of the lights running. If we take that out, then the Union will be in the dark."

"And that's when we strike!" Selene said as she punched the palm of her hand. 

"Exactly. While they're working on trying to get the power restored, I'm thinking we could get inside the memorial itself and do some damage there."

"And I'll keep watch!" Vic replied. "Anyone that gets too close while you two are tearing the place apart..." He lifted one end of his three-section staff so that Quang and Selene could see it. "Will get a special session with Shondell."

Quang looked away from Vic and at Selene. "How do you feel about the plan so far?"

She paused, her eyes drifting to the side. "I... think that can work," she replied along with a nod. "But will we be able to get back to your car?"

"If we're quick, we should be fine. We just need to be decisive in what we do. I'm thinking a bit of a vandalism might do the trick. Scratch the walls. Splatter some paint. Stuff like that. Anything that will make Hudson and his men feel the same way as their victims whenever they go around demanding money!"

"You're not getting cold feet, are ya Selene?" Vic said as he glared at her with inquisitive eyes.

Selene swallowed. She lifted her head above the huddle and looked towards the construction site. "Now that we are closer, this does seem more dangerous. Even more so now that there's a third party involved.”

"Come on," Vic said in a drawn-out fashion. "Back at Pho 68 you were bragging about your tonfa skills! I was really looking forward to seeing them in action! You can't back out now!"

"I'm not backing out!" Selene snapped her head back into the huddle. "I'm just... trying to think things over, you know? Quang and I haven't been up all day. Maybe our judgement has been impaired by a proper lack of rest. And no offense..." Selene eyed Vic from the bottom up. "But I'm not sure if your decision-making skills are something we should bank on."

"You think I don't know what I'm doing?" Vic replied with narrow eyes. "I've made it out of situations twice as dangerous as this! If you're too scared to go in, there's no shame in admitting it. Me and Quang are more than enough to take care of these clowns! Isn't that right, Quang?"

"Cool it, Vic," Quang said. "If Selene thinks this is a bad idea, then there's merit to what she's saying."

"But we're already here! If there's a time to go through with this, it's all or nothing!"

"What about coming by at a later time? When there's no one here?" Selene asked. 

"Didn't the Union dude that you guys caught tell you that they're going to be working on the memorial non-stop until they get it finished? If they're willing to work on it this late then who knows when they'll be gone! If ever at all! I'm telling ya. Now is the time to act. They're tired. They're desperate. And most importantly, we're here," Vic said as he pointed towards the ground. "If you want be safe, I don't blame you. But I'm going in and getting back at the Union for everything they've done tonight. Me and Shondell have been itching for a battle and there's no better way to scratch it with some Union skulls!"

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to do, Selene," Quang said. "If you want to stay in the car, I'll give you the keys right now."

"So you're going through with this?" Selene asked. Her eyes were agape and her mouth open just enough to let in a long and deep breath. 

Quang paused, his eyes meeting hers. "Yeah. I am."

Selene broke the huddle by stepping back. She brushed her hair back and tilted her hair up, taking in a deep breath of the warm summer air. "If you're going, then I am too. The more the merrier, right? I want to get back at them too. And I'm not sure if it's drowsiness kicking in, but Vic did bring up some good points."

"You don't—" Quang ended his sentence when he saw Selene shaking her head and placing one hand up with an open palm.

"We've had this discussion more than once Quang. I'm in it now. But if Vic really is this invincible fighting machine that he claims to be, I think this plan might actually work."

"At a girl!" Vic gave Selene a thumbs up. 

"So that settles it then. We're taking out that generator. Selene and I will do as much damage to the memorial as possible while Vic keeps watch. Am I getting that right?"

"Yep!" Vic replied excitedly. 

Quang took both of his hands and rubbed them in his eyes. "Alright. Let's go through with this. You better bring your A Game, Vic!"

"I always do!" Vic folded his sanjiegun so that the three segments were parallel to each other. He rested the weapon on his shoulder and took a step past the trailer they were using as cover. "Just follow my lead," Vic whispered to the other two. "Keep low and close. There's so much stuff here to navigate around, we should be able to make it to that generator without being seen. If we're careful."

1