Part 3: Chapter 12
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Quang and Selene stayed close behind Vic. He led the group through the shadows, darting from cover to cover in the still of the night. The Union members were too focused on their tasks to notice the trio move throughout their work site. Vic brought the group to the side of an inactive dozer. With his back pressed against the large wheel, he stretched his neck out just far enough to see to survey the area in front of the of the memorial building. Hudson and Fátima remained talking, their words just barely audible for them to hear. 

"Don't you have work to get back to?" Fátima said annoyed. 

"Yeah, you're right. I would have thought you'd like a bit of company after what you went through," Hudson replied. "But I keep forgetting that you're one of those moody types. You prefer to simmer in your own anger. I'll go ahead and leave you alone now. I know that you start your first day at your new job tomorrow!"

"You're so considerate, Hudson," Fátima chided. 

"Yeah, yeah. I get that all the time. I'm going to tell the boys to go pick up the pace. Try not to get blood everywhere. You don't know how much of a hassle that can be to clean up."

"Like I said, considerate." 

Hudson left the scene, stretching his neck as he headed towards the rest of his team. Fátima remained seated, going through the box of bandages while one hand remained on her injury. Vic leaned his head back to face Quang and Selene. 

"Guess who's still there?" he asked the others. 

"Fátima?" Quang asked. 

"Yep. Looks something happened to her shoulder. I think she's wrapping up her cut right now."

"I wonder what happened," Selene inquired. 

"She's at a construction site. Could have been any number of things," Quang replied. "But what's important is that she might not be able to fight properly. Did the cut look bad, Vic?"

Vic took a quick look from behind the vehicle. He watched Fátima fasten another bandage to her shoulder before getting up from her spot. The kendoka moved her arm in a wide and circular motion. Her face winced but the motion itself was as fluid as it could be.

"Looks like she's baring through it," Vic whispered. "But I think she's finally leaving."

"Good. This might be your only chance to go in and take out that generator."

Vic's eyes opened wide as he pointed to himself. "Me?"

"Yes!" Quang said as loud as a whisper could possibly be. "You're the one that's itching for a fight! I assumed you would want to go in and take out their generator in case you have to silence someone that catches you."

Vic leaned back against the vehicle and scratched the side of his head with one end of his three-section-staff. "That does sound tempting, but you know how I am around electric stuff!"

"Just because you got shocked that one time by the outlet in Rodney's studio doesn't mean it'll happen here. There's got to be an off switch or something you can just unplug!"

"Can you do it?" Vic said. "I'll even come with you if you need someone to back you up!"

"But I need to be with Selene to do some damage to the memorial! The more people that are in there, the faster we can get out."

"Please Quang!" Vic pleaded, placing both of his hands together as he looked into Quang's eyes. "What if I can't figure out how to turn it off, huh? Then what? You two will be in the dark. Er, I mean the light."

There was the sound of a faint smack as Quang buried his face into the palms of his hands. He looked over towards Selene. "Are you alright with staying behind for a bit while Vic and I go and disable that generator?"

"Sure, sure," Selene said. "I know you two haven't seen each other in a while. This seems like the perfect way for the pair of you to bond."

"I knew I liked ya, Selene," Vic replied. "You can always trust a chick that knows how to handle a pair of tonfas!"

Quang gave Vic a shove in the shoulder, making him step forward and out of the cover that the dozer provided. "Just get going. We don't have all night to do this!" Selene remained behind as the other two dashed from their cover and towards the side of the memorial building. Quang kept his eyes focused on the center of the construction area, making sure that no one else was watching them. In a few seconds that were behind cover once again, this time underneath some scaffolding that lined the side of the memorial. 

"You saw where the generator was, right?" Quang whispered. "I'm thinking we'll go around from behind and keep low. That way we can minimize our chances of getting caught."

Vic gave a thumbs up. "Right-o. There's still a bit of distance between here and our target though. That's a lot of space to go unseen without hiding behind something."

"Right. I guess that just means speed is our only option."

"You go first then. Shondell isn't the lightest or quietest thing to carry around."

"Fine." Quang walked to behind the memorial, only to dart back to his original hiding place upon seeing a Union member munching away on a sandwich. His back was towards him. The man took his helmet off and dropped it on the ground behind him. Quang jumped back, quickly returning to the side of the memorial where Vic was.  

"What's the matt—" Quang put his hand over Vic's mouth, cutting his sentence off.

"Shush!" Quang put one hand next to Vic's ear. "There's a Union guy just around the corner," he said softer than a breeze.

Vic winked as he smiled. He held up his sanjiegun and nodded. In silence, Vic went around the corner. Quang followed, keeping close enough to the wall for him to peek out from the side. 

"Hey, how's it going?" Vic said as he tapped the shoulder of the Union man. He turned his head and swallowed the bit of food in his mouth. 

"Who are you?" the Union member exclaimed. 

Vic responded by a quick rising swing from one segment of his sanjiegun. The aluminum rod clanked with the underside of the man's chin. He toppled backwards with his eyes closed. The sandwich tumbled out of his limp hands, sending turkey and lettuce scattering across the ground. Vic looked down at the food and shook his head. 

"Aw man. What a waste!"

"A little bit of dirt is enough to stop you, huh?" Quang asked. He came out from his cover and stood beside Vic. 

"You bring up a good point."

"Come on. The generator is a straight shot from here." Quang took the Union man by the legs and slid closer to the wall of the building to avoid him being seen. Vic was already in a crouching sprint towards the source of the site's energy. Before Quang followed through, he gave the area one more scan. Hudson was on the other side, scolding his remaining men.  Realizing that all the attention was elsewhere, Quang made a break for the generator. 

A few steps in and he could feel his heart race. The lights that surrounded the generator nearly blinded him as he ran as straight as he could. Once close enough, he slid on the side of his leg and hid behind one of the massive lights. Vic was examining the machine, trying to figure out how to shut it down without getting too close. 

"Any ideas, chief?" Vic said to Quang. 

"I think that dial would be a good place to start." He reached forward and turned the bright red dial on the side panel of the bulky yellow device. The generator went silent and all the lights in the area immediately turned dark. In the distance, the men from the Union could be heard shout obscenities as they fumbled around in pitch black. 

"Nice!" Vic said. "Now let's head back to the building."

"One second." Quang took the butt of his nunchuck and slammed it against the top of the dial. The plastic snapped off, leaving part of the peg stuck inside. "That's should hold them off for a while." 

The sound of angry constructions became louder. Vic took the long way towards the back of the building and Quang took off right behind him. 

1