The Stranger at 3 AM
70 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                ‘That guy was a fricking weirdo!’ Alicia thought as she trudged back towards her futon. ‘Who the hell is he? What the hell is wrong with him? I don’t even know that guy! He just showed up out of nowhere early in the morning and wants me to marry him? He’s crazy! I should probably call the cops…’

                Her foot bumped into a hard object and she looked down. It was a large red chest with a gold trim. It was about three feet in length, two feet in width, and two feet in height. One would think that the sparkling stars around it were her imagination to emphasize its shiny and magical appearance, but they were actual physical stars that twinkled in her room.

                Alicia picked up the chest, noting that it had some weight to it. She walked over to her front door, opened it, and kick the treasure chest out. The chest collided with Chase’s chest and his back hit the opposite wall. “Oof!”

                Alicia once again slammed the door shut and retreated to her futon. ‘It’s too early to deal with this shit. I’m too tired to call the cops so I’ll just go back to sleep. It’s not like he’ll stay out there for a while. It’s cold out so he’ll have to go back to whatever hole he crawled out form.’

                Outside, Chase had a worried expression. “Uh-oh,” The young man said. “Did I upset my wife?” He looked down at the unopened chest. ‘Maybe she doesn’t like shiny jewelry?’ With a sad sigh, he set the chest down beside him. ‘I don’t want my wife to stay mad at me. What can I do to make her happy?’ He leaned his back against the wall and stared at the ceiling lights, waiting for an answer to come to his mind. ‘What about food? Humans love food! Yeah, I’ll cook her up a delicious meal!’

                Chase was about to knock on her door like before, but stopped himself. ‘I want to surprise her! She also seemed tired so I don’t want to disturb her rest. There has to be some way to enter her living quarters without bothering her…’ An idea popped into his head. ‘What if I enter through her balcony? I saw that she had one.’

                He was about to leave when he turned around to pick up his treasure chest. ‘Since my wife doesn’t want this, I’ll throw it away. Trash shouldn’t be left in the hallway.’ He then headed down the stairs and accidentally bumped into a small, elderly lady. “I apologize ma’am.”

                “Oh don’t worry about it young man.” The old lady responded. “We’re both equally at fault. If we were both paying attention then one of us would be able to shift to the side.”

                “Indeed.” Chase nodded in agreement, switching the position of the chest in his arms to get a better hold.

                “That’s quite a beautiful chest you have there.” The lady commented.

                “It was meant to be a gift for my new wife but she doesn’t want it.” Chase explained. “Would you like to have it? I was just on my way to throw it away.”

                “Tossing such a pretty thing would be a waste.” The lady said. “If your wife really doesn’t want it, I’ll be glad to take if off your hands.”

                ‘So this is what the human saying ‘another man’s trash is another man’s treasure’ means.’ Chase gladly handed the treasure chest to her. Not noticing the old lady’s frail arms trembling, he left the lobby.

                “Ma’am do you need help?” The front desk lady noticed the old lady’s struggle.

                Before she could reach her, the treasure chest clattered to the floor and the cover flew open. Dozens of colorful jewelry escaped from confinement and skittered in all directions. The two females stood there, gaping in shock like a human fish, and slowly turned to the direction where Chase had gone.

                Chase stood outside of the apartment building, scanning the balconies to determine which one belonged to his wife’s apartment. He pinpointed Suite 657’s balcony and jumped. While the average human’s jump height was one to two feet high, Chase Eheu Yong was by no means an average human. He soared through the air and landed on Alicia’s balcony with ease.

                Chase quietly pulled the sliding door open, accidentally using too much force and breaking the lock. He made his way to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. His expression turned into a frown once he realized it was empty. ‘My wife must be starving! I’ll go purchase some fresh groceries for her!’

                He exited Alicia’s apartment and jumped down onto the sidewalk below. It took a bit longer for him to locate the grocery store, but he somehow managed. He strolled through each aisle, tossing in a random assortment of fruits, vegetables, candies, snacks, canned goods, and spices. The other customers watched as he headed for the exit only to be stopped by a security guard.

                “Sir, you have to pay for those.” The guard reminded.

                Chase dug into his pocket and took out a solid gold bar. “Is this enough? I forgot to exchange it for smaller currencies. There are too many human currencies that it confuses me which one I should be using.” He placed it in the guard’s hand before continuing his way.

                The guard was flabbergasted and stared at the gold bar. By the time he snapped out of it, Chase was long gone.

                Chase returned to Alicia’s apartment, carrying the cart full of items with him onto the balcony. “Time to cook for my wife!”

Chase isn’t really familiar with human customs. I'm going to attempt to draw Chase and Alicia so that you guys have a better picture of how they look like.

3