The Second Day of Camp
1.2k 6 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After tossing and turning for hours, Leslie managed to fall asleep, but was awoken by the bustle of the three girls getting dressed and ready for breakfast. Leslie sat up and Annie excitedly pulled something towards his bed.

"Leslie! Great news, your bag showed up this morning!" Annie exclaimed.

"My bag?" Leslie asked, excited for a moment, before Annie plopped a suitcase on his bed, a large pink suitcase, one that was decidedly, not his own.

“Must be the other Leslie's.” he thought, involuntarily grimacing, before saying aloud: "Oh... this isn't mine."

"Of course it is!" Kendra said. "Look! It's got your name on it!"

Leslie looked at the luggage tag, and naturally, it did indeed say Leslie Daniels on it. Just not the right Leslie Daniels, but he knew there was no sense arguing with Kendra about it.

"I think she was just looking forward to borrowing one of your skirts." Nora snarkily remarked.

Leslie sighed and opened the bag, prepared for the worst, found the worst, at least by his estimation. It was the girliest set of clothes, cosmetics and accessories that he had ever seen. Blouses, skirts, shorts, a few dresses, bras and panties, sandals, hair products, makeup and jewelry. He wondered what use a girl would have for all this stuff at summer camp, but after getting a peek into the drawers of his cabin-mates, realized it wasn’t that strange after all.

"Must feel great to have your stuff back, huh?" Annie asked.

"Yeah... great." Leslie sighed.

"Anyway, we're heading to breakfast, better get dressed if you wanna catch up!" Kendra said as the girls left the cabin.

Leslie started to rummage through the bag, reasoning that he needs to get changed into something, given that his clothes are still dirty from the previous day, and found that the real Leslie must also be flat chested, since her bras had some padding in them, likely to make up for her lack of endowment. He groaned and put on a fresh bra and panties, the bra not strictly necessary, but his cabin-mates would expect it, and he knew they’d likely notice.

Leslie pulled his hair back with a hair tie he found in the front pocket, and dug through the suitcase for another pair of shorts, though this time they were pink, and used the same "Cabin 8" shirt, since he’d seen the girls all wearing theirs as they left for breakfast. He slid on his own socks and shoes, the last remaining bit of his original clothes, and looked in the mirror. Just like the night before, he looked the part of a girl camper.

"I hope wherever the other Leslie is, she's having as much fun as I'm not." Leslie sighed and walked out of the cabin and to the mess hall for breakfast.

He grabbed his food and sat down with Nora, Annie and Kendra, who were excitedly talking about the day's activities. They immediately tried to bring him into the conversation despite his clear disinterest.

"Looks like the first craft activity is bracelets." Annie said. "Wanna join me, Leslie?"

"Maybe some other time." Leslie idly said.

"Oh come on, I know you were probably dumped here by your parents and you'd rather be somewhere else, but you've gotta get into the spirit! You've spent the entire first day moping!" Kendra exclaimed. "You're doing an activity with us today and we’re not taking ‘No’ for an answer. It's up to you which one."

"I'm going bird-watching." Nora said. "Could always use a buddy!"

"Or you can come with me, they're putting together softball teams. If you don't wanna play, you can at least be one of the cheerleaders." Kendra said.

"Girls, listen I..." Leslie started.

"You’re not getting out of this, Leslie. Pick an activity!" Kendra snapped.

"Why do you care so much about what I'm doing?" Leslie asked.

"Rule #2 of the camp: It is the duty of cabin-mates to ensure that every member of the cabin is involved with activities and enjoys themselves. And Rule #4 No Loners Allowed." Nora replied.

“Are those even real rules?” Leslie asked.

“Not strictly, but they’re the unofficial code of conduct here.” Annie replied.

"I don't have a choice, do I?" Leslie asked.

Leslie really didn't want to do any of those dumb activities, but if Carla refuses to listen to his protests, and no one at home will answer the phone, he had no choice but to play along until he could find a way to escape. And to reinforce that feeling, the girls shook their heads negatively.

"Fine... Uh, I guess I'll do..." Leslie started.

Leslie didn't want to play softball and wanted even less to be a cheerleader. And bracelets sounded boring, so he figured at least bird-watching might be halfway interesting.

"I guess I'll do bird-watching." Leslie sighed resignedly.

"Awesome" Nora beamed. "It'll be so fun!"

Leslie finished off his breakfast and walked back to the cabin with his "new friends", and they all but forced him to be involved with their conversations.

"Say, I hope you don't mind me asking, but I found it a little weird. You have all that makeup and hair stuff in your bag, and you haven't used any of it yet... any particular reason why?" Annie asked.

“Come on, give her a break, I didn’t see you go all out prettying yourself up for breakfast either!” Nora chided.

"I just... haven't felt like doing it yet, that's all." he replied, nervous that she might be onto him.

"I think that was her way of asking to borrow something." Kendra giggled.

Nora and Annie joined in with the chuckling. Leslie wanted to hate them, but he couldn’t, I mean, it’s not like it’s their fault he got on the wrong bus, right? Leslie felt bad for being so mean to them, and came upon a solution that he thought might appease them.

"All of you can borrow whatever you want." Leslie said, giggling nervously. "It’s the least I can do for letting me borrow your stuff when I didn't have my bag."

"Thanks, Leslie!" Annie exclaimed, hugging him.

Once the group got back to the cabin, Nora quickly grabbed a hiking backpack and started to fill it with items, a few water bottles, a compass and a pair of nice binoculars. She noticed Leslie scrutinizing her packing.

"They give us binoculars, but they're never good enough for my liking, so I brought my own." Nora said. “I’m a Level 2 Birder back home.”

"I see," Leslie replied.

After Nora finished packing, the duo, Leslie and Nora, headed out to the center of camp, where Carla was pairing girls up for the hike. As they walked up, Carla asked for partners, and Nora quickly grabbed Leslie's arm and raised it up.

"Very good, Leslie. Nice to see you're getting involved. The summer will only be bad if you let it be." Carla said, handing him a bird identification booklet.

He just smiled and nodded, determined to not deal with her again as they started out on the hike.

Against his better judgment, Leslie actually started to have fun, checking birds off the list, using Nora's binoculars, if he wasn't constantly being reminded that he was being forced to masquerade as a girl and no one would believe him when he told them he was a boy, it'd actually be an enjoyable experience. Hiking at the boy’s camp usually amounted to getting bit up by bugs and thrown into bushes as part of a joke regarding the name of a President. Compared to that, the girls seemed much more civilized.

After a bird perched on a branch, Leslie decided to try to get a good vantage point to look at it, since it looked like the final one on the list, and the rarest, according to the booklet. Trying to stand on some nearby rocks, he ended up instead stumbling and falling into a patch of nearby leaves.

The other girls watched in horror as he tumbled, it wasn’t a particularly big drop, but it definitely hurt, since he landed squarely on his posterior.

“Ouch…” Leslie whined as Nora quickly helped him up.

Meanwhile, another girl identified what the leaves were, to Leslie's irritation. Poison ivy... His body started to itch, but Carla assured him it was psychosomatic... the rash usually doesn't start until a few hours to a day later. 

Naturally, Leslie was not quite as enthusiastic about the latter half of the hike, and mostly sulked until they finished up and got back to camp. Upon their return, Leslie ended up in the nurse's office, where he was given a quick check-up and a bottle of calamine lotion that smelled absolutely repulsive.

Following that, he returned to Cabin 8 and slumped down on his bed. Annie and Kendra were already inside and noticed Leslie putting the bottle down on the nightstand.

"Got some poison ivy on ya, huh?" Annie asked.

"Yeah." Leslie sighed.

"Does it itch yet?" Kendra asked.

"Not yet," he replied.

Kendra curiously picked up the bottle, opened it and smelled it, making a disgusted face before immediately shutting it and putting it back down.

"Well, if it does, you can use this instead of that junk." Annie reached into a drawer and pulled out a pink bottle.

"What is it?" he asked, taking the bottle from her.

"Last year I fell into some poison oak and my parents sent that up with me this year because the stuff they keep around here is nasty." Annie said. "This has like perfume and stuff in it, so it smells nice."

Leslie popped the lid and smelled it, confirming that it was much better smelling than the stuff he was given.

"Thanks," he smiled at Annie.

A few hours later, Leslie’s skin started to itch like crazy, but the sweet, flowery smelling lotion soothed it almost immediately. Leslie wasn't happy here, but he was glad that his bunk mates seemed to be nice girls.

But regardless of how nice they were, he had to make some headway into getting out of here. Leslie ruminated on what to do next.

I could try calling home again... or maybe if the nurse gave me a full physical and saw that I'm not a girl, she'd help send me home... “ Leslie thought to himself.

Ultimately, he decided to head to the phone, he had a sinking suspicion that the nurse wouldn't listen, and the phone was his best bet for instant gratification. Leslie went to the front office and asked to use the phone, which the woman allowed, despite her tone indicating that she hadn’t forgotten his earlier behavior.

"But no hogging it today, Miss Daniels." the woman said.

"I won't." Leslie said. One call was hopefully all he'd need.

Leslie dialed in his home number and waited as it rang, and rang, and rang, before it was finally picked up.

"Hello?" his mother answered.

"Thank god! I’m saved!" Leslie thought.

"Mom! It's me, Les!" he exclaimed.

"Les! Great to hear from you, how's camp?" she asked.

"Where do I even begin? I'm at the wrong camp! There was a mistake with the bus and I'm at the girl's camp! I need you to come and get me!" he replied, shouting into the receiver.

What he heard back was muffled and static-y. The phone call was breaking up.

”Is that even possible with landlines? Leslie wondered.

"Mom! Wait! I'm not at the boy's camp! I'm at the girl's camp and I need you to come get me! I'll send you a letter tomorrow!" Leslie shouted, hoping at least part of it was breaking through the static.

Before too long, the phone cut off and went back to a dial tone before screeching in his ear about how he should dial the number again or hang up.

"Another bust..." Leslie muttered.

As Leslie left the main office, he heard the loudspeaker start to crackle outside.

"Attention campers! It's dinner time, so get your butts to the dining hall!" Carla exclaimed over the speaker.

Leslie's stomach started to once again rumble. All of that activity today had left him with a healthy appetite. As he headed towards the mess hall, he pushed the feelings back as they came, but he was actually sort of happy that he had a group to sit with.

Dinner went by without incident, and Leslie was happy that the girls didn't seem to take any objection to his eating habits, so he was able to indulge himself without fear of anyone discovering his secret. At least camp food is universal. 

Most of the conversation revolved around the events of the day, and so he was reminded of the poison ivy incident a few times whenever a girl from the hike passed by to check on him, asking about the rash and itching. Thankfully, the lotion he got from Kendra was working wonders, and he didn't see any sign of a rash showing up as of yet.

Once dinner was over, he headed back to Cabin 8. With a few hours before lights out, the girls started their nightly rituals that Leslie had partially observed the previous night. Nora was reading a book, Annie was putting on a face mask and Kendra was inspecting her toenails. Leslie noticed her staring at him as he unpacked "his" suitcase, since he had nothing else to do to occupy his time, putting everything away in the drawers.

"Am I blocking you?" Leslie asked as he moved out of the way of the dresser.

"Oh no, I was just wondering if I could borrow that nail polish." Kendra pointed at a bottle of bright pink polish that he had left sitting on the dresser as he went through all the clothes. "It's such a pretty shade."

"Yeah, of course. I told you it was all up for grabs." Leslie said as he handed her the bottle.

Kendra grabbed his hand before he could pull it away, and inspected it, clicking her tongue as she flipped his hand over.

"Been a while since your last manicure, huh?" Kendra asked.

"I've been busy." he weakly smiled, hoping that this wasn't the end of his charade.

"Sit down." Kendra pulled Leslie over to her bed.

"I should finish unpacking." he tried to pull away, but Kendra kept pulling.

“You can unpack later,” Kendra insisted.

Eventually, he gave up and sat down, cross-legged as Kendra was, on Kendra's bunk.

"Tsk, tsk." Kendra giggled. "Though I guess bird-watching will get your fingernails dirty."

Kendra reached into a makeup bag and pulled out a nail file, then she started to work on Leslie’s fingernails as she started to make small-talk, mostly inquiring about Leslie's life outside of camp.

Apart from a few embellishments, he tried his best not to lie, given that it would be hard to keep a story straight if he told different lies to everyone.

Once Kendra finished rounding his nails, she started to paint them with the pink polish, all the while asking about Leslie’s life. The worst part that Leslie had to face was admitting to Kendra that he'd never kissed anyone. Boy or girl, he hadn't yet been so fortunate, and blushed furiously when he admitted it to Kendra.

"Oh, don't be ashamed. There's nothing wrong with saving yourself for the right guy. Or girl." Kendra said. "Or if you don't want to do it at all, but based on that blush, I think you do."

"I guess." Leslie giggled.

He'd never admit it to anyone, but getting his nails painted was actually relaxing, and talking with Kendra took his mind off the entire predicament. So much so, that he didn't resist as harshly when she offered to do his toes as well.

Eventually, Annie and Nora joined in on the conversations, and they were giggling like schoolgirls, with Leslie giggling right along with them. This experience stunk, but that didn't mean that Leslie couldn't find enjoyment in the small things. 

By the time his nails were dry, it was time for lights out and unlike the previous night, Leslie slept soundly.

34