The Fifth Day of Camp
975 3 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, Leslie woke up, not because of the sun streaming into the cabin or his cabin-mates making noise as they got ready for the day, no, today he awoke because he had been pelted with an article of clothing. He opened his eyes and sat up, finding a pink bikini had been thrown onto his bed.

"What's going on?" Leslie asked.

"Today's swim day!" Annie chirped excitedly as she laid out her bathing suit onto her bed.

"Swim day?" he asked.

"Once a week, instead of the normal activities, we all go swimming in the lake, over by the docks. Swimming used to be an activity, but I think they had a lack of lifeguards, and figured it was easier to let us all do it at once." Nora explained. “After all, the lake is big enough.”

"That's great, but I'm not really a swimmer." Leslie said, both attempting to get out of wearing the bikini, but also a truth. Swimming was an activity that he loathed, especially when he'd go swimming at the boy's camp and the older boys would hold his head under as a joke.

Although the girls didn’t give up trying to convince him otherwise, Leslie dressed in the same sort of outfit he'd worn in previous days, retaining the capris from the previous day, and went with the girls to breakfast. All of them had their suits on underneath their outfits, intending to get right in after waiting a half hour after breakfast. But of course, they escorted Leslie back to the cabin and insisted that he change into his bathing suit before they did.

"Did I pack a different suit?" Leslie asked out loud as he dug through the suitcase, hoping to find shorts or one of those suits with the skirt or something of the like. Heck, he’d even accept a one-piece at this point.

"What's wrong with that suit? I think you'll look great in it!" Kendra beamed. “It’s super cute!”

"It's just that... I have that thing... you know? Down there..." he pointed down.

"That's not a problem, just tuck." Annie said, almost off-handedly.

"Tuck?" he asked.

"Yeah, I've seen it on TV, you just sorta, hide all that stuff down there." Annie said.

What kind of TV do these girls watch? Leslie had never heard of such a thing, but if he knew anything about these girls, it was that they were stubborn, and would wait in the cabin until he changed. Leslie went to the bathroom and did what Annie said to do, or at least his best approximation based on her description, and it seemed to work, not revealing any undue information.

After changing into the bikini, he slipped back into the sandals from the previous day, and followed the girls down to the docks where all the other campers were already having fun in the lake. Kendra, Nora, and Annie wasted no time jumping in while Leslie stood at the edge of the dock, kicking his sandals off and placing them to the side.

"Come on in! The water's fine!" Kendra shouted.

"I don't know..." he muttered, wrapping his arms around himself, still self-conscious in the bikini.

Being so focused on not jumping in, Leslie didn't realize that Nora had snuck out of the lake and climbed back onto the dock, until he felt someone behind him and turned, only to be immediately shoved off the docks and into the water.

"Woah!" he exclaimed as he plunged into the water.

Leslie immediately returned to the surface and spit a mouthful of water out. Memories flooded back of those dunkings at the boy’s camp, but Leslie realized that the situation was different here, and it was all in good fun. He wanted to be mad, but Kendra, Nora and Annie were laughing and splashing each other, and it was infectious. Leslie smiled and joined in with the activities.

It turns out swimming was actually fun when he wasn't being tormented and dunked against his will! There were some races that Leslie took part in, he didn't win, but it was fun to try, and then there was a giant lake-set game of Marco Polo with the entire camp which was abject chaos, but the fun kind of chaos. Leslie's self conscious feelings vanished as he actually enjoyed the day more than he had ever enjoyed swimming at camp in his life before.

But that wasn't the only activity for the day, as not only was it "Swim Day" but it was also "Bonfire Night" and after dinner, the entire camp gathered around a bonfire roasting marshmallows.

As she watched the girls sitting out in front of the bonfire, particularly Leslie and the Cabin 8 girls, Carla remarked to herself how proud she was that the girl who spent so long trying to get out of the camp had finally come out of her shell and was enjoying herself.

And as for Leslie, he was thinking that maybe this camp wasn't so bad. He looked to his left and saw Kendra grabbing another marshmallow out of a bag, offering one to him, which he accepted. Looking to his right, he saw Annie and Nora giggling to each other as they talked. It wasn’t a bad thing to be making the most of a bad situation, but he just had to bide his time until he could get out... right?

30