[Chapter 8 – The first hunt – Part 1]
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After my little performance I went straight up to the surface. The ones that saw me and didn't faint on the spot, either stayed still, not daring to move or hurried themselves toward some random tunnels.

On the second floor there were only newbies, they were too naive to try something fun on me.

Once arrived on the first floor the [Inspector]s just didn't care about me.

They usually care about their own business, [coin]s and petty grudges were their favourites pastimes.

Then I got on the first tram directed at the central station. It was the terminus of most trams that travelled through the inner city.

In fact the line I was attempting to take was one created especially for the [Inspector]s working mines.

Every attentive user of the [System] would visit its base to get an upgrade, a special [tool] or take on missions.

There were only four bases in our entire planet. Each one situated on the capitals of the four most important countries.

As a matter of fact if you lived far from the bases you had to buy a [Spatial Warp] to get there. It was cheaper then a [teleportation scroll] since you could pass through it two times.

Just as I snapped out of my thoughts, the tram arrived. The few celidres present were clearly [inspector]s, probably the ticket controller knew them and nodded his head as they entered the tram after tossing him a [coin] for the fee.

As I saw the last of them entering I approached the controller, I then sensed that he could wield nano-energy within his body.

He must be a [peasant] that got degraded and had to work in an unofficial occupation.

I focused my nano-energy on my brain and started a telepathic conversation with him.

[Hello the name is Xeno, I'm going to the base to get my first occupation.] I said to him, that a few meters in front of me seemed to be a bit surprised.

Exploiting the connection I created between us he muttered [I-I understand, show me your proof].

As he said so, I focalized the part on my status that declared my occupation as empty and transmitted it through the connection.

After a bit he concluded,"You may go".

Not uttering a word I just got inside the tram.

After about half an hour I descended from the tram, after the [Inspector]s.

It was currently late evening and the white ivory streets were reflecting the orange painted sky.

Numerous administrative offices, and the residents of the riches towered over me.

This new stature of mine didn't make me feel uncomfortable around other humanoids.

But this tall black palaces clearly made me feel oppressed.

As I didn't expect this large quantity of nano-energy flowing through the walls, under the streets and inside the flying vehicles of various shape that could be seen.

This part of the city, brimming with energy seemed a totally different word in front of the slum district.

Even more I didn't expect all the colours of the holograms attached on the skyscrapers towards the very centre of the city.

Most of the people walking down the streets were celidres elegantly dressed up.

While sporadically you could spot some random aliens without a single piece of cloth to cover their skin.

I can't hide that I would like to spend some time looking around.

After all it was the first time I visited the inner city.

Since uncle's mansion was situated in the middle section of the capital. Where too I was thinking of be living in before attempting my first [Trial].

Maybe I'll even pass to greet him personally.

But right now I really needed this body to mature a bit more, and eating monster meat could speed the process.

Getting assigned my new occupation was my first objective right now.

Thinking so I hurried myself towards the huge golden dome situated in the very centre of Elkatra.

It certainly is the [System base] I was looking for.

The street leading straight under the dome was getting increasingly crowded, but thanks to my little size and enhanced senses I didn't bump into anyone.

On the other hand I couldn't take a better look at the city.

At the very least I managed to admire the fifty meters tall Grand Arc looming over the street. It was situated toward the end of the highway and before the stairs that leaded deep inside the dome.

All over it could be seen scenes of victorious wars, probably against the other three major forces on the planet.

Inside the dome were presents various little huts, with a metallic humanoid inside it. In a simile way to the one I've seen everyday on my way to the mines.

Just that the huts were made of the same bony white material of the dome's floor, it seemed to be highly conductive to nano-energies.

As you could see the blue lines pulsating with power over the material's surface.

Anyway from where do they get all this energy.

In front of every hut there was a log queue of users that need to consult the [System].

I lined myself behind one of the rows and waited.

Finally getting my turn of consultation, I sensed the blue glowing metallic eyes of the figure inside the hut.

I quickly activated a telepathic bridge with it, asking for a [Hunter] occupation.

I wouldn't get a good occupation for sure but I just needed to kill some monsters.

[New occupation assigned, Scrawny stalker]

It indeed gave me a sub-class of the [Hunter] since I'm low ranked.

But it's not bad to start, since it gave me a stealth bonus.

Done with my business here I went back to the station and waited for a shuttle to pick me up. At least for free this time .

It would be a little crowded, it moved slower than the tram and it couldn't cover long distances.

But don't have much of a choice, as I am currently penniless.

For my first hunt I decided to play it fairly safe, lurking around the evergreen plains.

A long expanse of grass and small trees. Here the beasts weren't too big and ferocious.

My fears were actually coming from my small size. Even if my body definitely sturdy, I was still an infant, not even a toddler of my current form.

The idea of getting eaten whole was not that enticing. Also I was not that experienced in combat and during a fight I could only rely on my instincts.

As I got down from the vehicle I quickly got in my quadrupedal position and started running at random maximizing my senses.

Just five minutes later I sensed something. It was a two meters long herbivore, an animal covered in white thick fur and had two long black horns sticking out of its forehead.

I individuated my first prey in the wild. Already licking my two rows of teeth with my tongue and dripping acid saliva on the ground.

I activated my stealth increasing perk and silently moving towards the beast.

About six to five meters behind it I stopped. Hoping to not being noticed, I unwrap my tendrils and start to concentrate nano-energy on my behind legs.

Hitting hard on the ground with my legs and tendrils, I mutter my strength before leaping onto the back of the herbivore.

Quickly I proceed to tore into its belly with my sharp tail and small claws, while I start muching on its back with my jaws.

"GNUUUUU!"

The beast screaming with pain starts to furiously jump and ran, totally enraged.

Nonetheless I enhance my tendrils with nano-energy and extend them around the beast. With a tight grip on it I resume and tore even more through its belly. Its blood and intestines started to profusely gush out of its abdomen section until the crazed beast still on the ran, finally collapses before my eyes.

[Beast killed, 100 MP gained]

Said a monotonous and metallic voice.

Not caring one bit I start to bit into the fresh meat of the monster, enjoying the first meal with this new body of mine.

Ten minutes later I got to voraciously eat the entire beast.

Soon after I started to feel my body aching and changing itself. The process didn't last long but painful nonetheless.

I could feel myself becoming taller, reaching slightly over one meter of height, my muscles increased in density, my tendrils and tail were clearly longer than before.

There weren't any other substantial changes beside my skin's colour that became light grey.

1