9 – Counsel in the chapel
402 8 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was late afternoon by the time Eddie got home, and his mother called to him as he walked in the front door. "Eddie honey, is that you? I could use some help in the kitchen."

As he crossed the threshold into the kitchen, his mother looped an apron over his head and quickly tied it off behind him. "Here, slice up these carrots and cucumber and tomatoes for me. Watch your fingers!"

Hmm, she never put him to work in the kitchen with her. The vegetables were sitting on the chopping board with a knife. He started slicing them, while his mother juggled various other duties in the kitchen, humming a little ditty while doing so.

"I got you some of those cute barrettes you like when I was at the drug store today," she said.

"Barrettes?"

She turned and looked at him, squinted, then nodded. "Oh right. Well, it won't take long for your hair to grow back out dear, and they'll be here waiting for you when you need them."

At this point Eddie decided to just roll with it. No point in getting unsettled any more by these weirdnesses. Maybe if he just accepted them, the whole process would play out more quickly? Was his own discomfort causing some resistance?

"So what did you get up to this afternoon?" she asked him.

"I was playing jump rope in the park with Patsy and Valerie."

"Oh that's wonderful honey! I'm glad to hear it. They haven't been over in a little while. You three always look so cute together."

"When were they here Mom?"

"Well don't you remember? You had that slumber party on the last day of school!"

"Oh."

"The summer sure is flying by. It won't be long before it's the first day of school again. Are you looking forward to junior high?"

"I don't know Mom, I have a feeling junior high is going to be way different than grade school."

"Well that is true, sweetie. Your body will be changing, and you'll start having different interests, and feelings, and you'll start dressing differently. Things will change a lot. But inside, you'll still be my sweet little peach."

"Mom? I hope I'll always be your sweet little peach." To Eddie It was a new nickname, but at the same time he felt like she'd been calling him that forever, and his eyes started to mist up.

"Oh honey, are you crying? Come here..." She wrapped her arms around him, and he broke into tears.

"I'm sorry, Mom, I'm just so confused. Everything's changing, and I have all these strange feelings, and people are acting different..."

"Of course dear, it's natural that you're confused. Things ARE changing. You're growing and maturing, blossoming. You're turning into a beautiful young lady."

Eddie pulled away and stared at her, shocked. "You know?!"

She chuckled. "Well of course I know honey. I went through it myself! Every girl grows up and turns into a young lady. I know it feels very mysterious, but we've all been through it, and I'm here to help you every step of the way."

"Oh, you mean THAT. Well, I still think it's kinda different for me Mom. But I'm glad you're here for me. I... I hope I turn out just like you, Mom."

"Oh Eddie, I think that's the sweetest thing you've ever said to me." Now it was Marian's eyes that were welling up. "Give me another hug."

They embraced for a long time, and Eddie felt one more brick crumble, one more breach in the wall that had held back his emotions. He'd never really connected with his father, and though his mother was much more available emotionally, he had held back from connecting with her. Now he felt the possibilities, a true bond with her, and it filled him with warmth.

The sound of the front door opening brought their little moment to a close, it was Eddie's father arriving home from work. "Welcome home, dear," Marian called to him, and then hurried to fix a cocktail for him.

"Here, take Daddy his drink, honey," she said to Eddie and handed him the whiskey sour she'd just prepared. Eddie carried it out and handed it to his father, who had just settled in to his easy chair.

"Thank you Eddie," he said as he accepted it. Then he noticed the apron. "Oh for Pete's sake, what kind of frilly getup has she got you in now?" he scowled.

"Its just a apron, Dad," he said sheepishly. "I was helping Mom with supper."

"Sit down here son," he patted the chair next to him. "And please take that silly thing off first."

Eddie slowly removed the apron and sat down. He had a feeling the way people were seeing him hadn't changed universally. Apparently his father was in the part of the world that was still clinging to the old ways.

"Now I'm going over to see Coach Krauss tomorrow, and we're signing you up for football this fall. I've been seeing some troubling behavior lately, and we need to nip this in the bud. Football will be just the thing."

"But Dad, you know I don't want to! Please don't make me do that, not now!" He felt a sudden panic, like his father could somehow unwind the magic through force of will.

"This is my decision, Eddie, and that's final! I'm not letting your mother turn you into some kind of sissy!"

"No, please, Daddy, don't make me do it!!"

"What on earth is all this commotion?" his mother exclaimed as she came into the living room.

"I was just telling our son that he's going out for football and that we'll have no more arguing about it!" Leo was on his feet now.

"Our son?! For heaven's sakes Leo, what has gotten into you lately? You know they won't let Eddie on the football team!"

"Why not?"

"Well come on! It's only boys on the team, everyone knows that! Where are you getting these strange ideas?"

"What does that have to do with anything? Why can't my boy be on the team?! Are you saying there's something wrong with him?"

Marian tried for a softer approach. "Leo, honey, look, I know you always wanted boys, I know that's been hard on you, but it's what the good Lord gave us, and we're wonderfully blessed to have these two sweet lovely children..."

"I feel like this whole family has gone cuckoo! My son is playing football and that is that!"

"Leo will you listen to me?!" Marian had abandoned the soft touch. "They are not going to let our daughter play football! Let it go!!"

Leo shuddered slightly, and the look of rage in his eyes morphed into something closer to bewilderment. He slumped back down into his chair and looked over at Eddie, who was on the verge of tears.

"I... I'm so confused." Leo rubbed at his temples. "I thought you... did you get your haircut? It's so short, maybe that's why I..."

Eddie had no idea what the right thing to say was, so he kept his mouth shut.

"I - I'm sorry honey," his father said to him softly. "I must be going crazy..." He put his head in his hands.

Eddie's mom motioned for him to come in to the kitchen. She handed him another cocktail. "Take this out to your father," she whispered.

Eddie took it out and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Here Daddy," he said softly, handing him the drink.

Leo looked up and smiled weakly, taking the drink. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. I don't know what's wrong with me."

"It'll be OK," Eddie consoled him, despite still feeling raw. He leaned over and tried to give him a hug, careful not to disturb the drink. His father reached around with his free arm and returned the hug, albeit awkwardly, and kissed him on the forehead.

Suppertime was tense, as Eddie's father seemed to be undergoing a mental struggle. His memories, perceptions, and aspirations were battling, and his expressions alternated between defiance, resignation, and puzzlement. It was painful for Eddie to watch, as he realized that his desire to be who he needed to be was robbing his father of something he wanted. But he also knew he could never be the type of son his dad wanted anyway, and his father would have to adjust somehow.

After the meal Leo rose. "I'm going to visit Reverend Bremer," he announced. "Eddie, I'd like you to come along."

"Why Leo," Marian exclaimed, "what is this about?"

"I need to know whether I'm losing my mind," he stated seriously. "Rev. Bremer has always been a comfort when I'm troubled."

"Of course dear, but must you bring Eddie?" She looked at Eddie with a concerned expression. "He's had an emotional day..."

"Yes I need Eddie. It's about him."

Eddie's gut clenched, and he looked at his mother beseechingly. She was obviously distressed on his part, but directly opposing her husband was not something she did frequently, and she was spent from doing so earlier.

"Well... please be gentle. I don't want Eddie to be hurt..."

"No one's going to hurt him dear," he came around the table and lightly kissed her. "We won't be long. Eddie?"

Eddie reluctantly joined his father and they walked together out to the car. His mind was in a panic. What if the pastor can detect the magic? Will he think it's demonic and try to stop it somehow? Is he capable of that? Or will he just think Eddie's a girl already?

A few short blocks later they exited the car and entered the church, and approached the pastor's office. The door was wide open and Rev. Bremer was sitting at his desk, working on some paperwork. Leo lightly knocked on the door.

"Well hello Mr. Kettler, what brings you over here?" Rev. Bremer greeted them, looking up from his work.

"Good evening Reverend, I'm very sorry to disturb you this late. I'm troubled by something and was hoping for some guidance. And I've brought Eddie along."

"It's no trouble at all, I'm glad you've come. Hello there Eddie. Shall we move to the chapel?"

They walked across the hall to a small chapel that was used for this type of counseling, and sat on some folding chairs that the pastor had arranged in a small circle. Eddie's heart was racing, he had no idea what to expect.

"Now tell me, what seems to be troubling you?"

"Well Reverend, you know Eddie pretty well, right?"

"Of course! I've known him since he was just a baby."

"Well you see... I may be going crazy, but... well, I don't know if...I mean..." Leo was sweating.

"Take your time. You can tell me anything."

"It's just... is Eddie a boy or a girl?" Leo blurted out.

Rev. Bremer pulled back a little and tilted his head. This wasn't where he was expecting this to go.

"I'm not quite sure what you mean. This is your son, of course he is a boy."

"I knew it! I know he has to be! But my wife, she is convinced Eddie is a girl! And sometimes, when I look at him... I think she's right."

"How do you mean? It's clear to see. This is a boy!"

"Reverend, do you think I'm... going mad?"

"Leo, let's not jump to conclusions." The pastor turned to Eddie. "What do you make of this, young man? Perhaps you can reassure your father. Can you think of any reason why he is feeling this way?"

Eddie remained outwardly quiet, but inside a cyclone was raging. He was caught, found out, right in front of God and everything. Surely what he and Mickie were up to was not approved of by the Church. One prayed for miracles. One did not turn to heathen talismans for miracles. Especially for the purpose of reversing the decisions God has made for you.

"I... I don't know, Rev. Bremer," he said finally. "Sometimes I feel... well... never mind."

"You may speak freely here, son. God loves you no matter what. Tell me, is your mother pushing you into something perhaps?"

"No!" Eddie exclaimed. He would not have them casting aspersions on her. But as soon as he'd replied, he realized the forcefulness of his response would probably make them suspicious.

"Hmm," the pastor pondered. "Leo, you say Marian thinks Eddie is... a girl. What has she said or done to make you believe that?"

"She's said Eddie can't play football because he's our daughter and girls don't play football."

"Hmm. Well look, I'm just a small town pastor and I'm pretty old fashioned, I don't know much about newfangled ideas on psychology and such. But perhaps Marian is worried about her boy getting hurt, and she's cooked up this crazy idea about him being a girl, as a way to protect him, and now she's started to believe it. Perhaps it's Marian I should be counseling..."

"Reverend, I think you may be right - "

"No!" Eddie interjected, "Mom has nothing to do with this! She's not turning me into a girl, I'm doing it on my own!"

They both stared at him, and terror overtook him again.

"You're doing what on your own, son?" the pastor asked.

Eddie's reply was almost inaudible. "Turning into a girl..."

Rev. Bremer sighed. "Eddie, I'm not sure what is going on here, but a boy cannot just turn himself into a girl." He turned to Leo. "I believe some family counseling may help. Do you think you and Marian and Eddie could meet with me after church service on Sunday? I can ask my wife to watch Rosemary, while we all talk this through together. I'm sure through compassionate discussion and prayer, we can sort this all out."

"Thank you Reverend, we will surely be here. Thank you as always for your wise counsel."

"You're welcome. And don't worry Eddie, we'll get your head straightened out. God will guide you through this, if you but let him."

Eddie walked back to the car with his father in a state of shock. Why hadn't the magic affected the pastor? Earlier that evening, he'd thought his dad was coming round. Now everything was unravelling.

Before starting the car, his father turned to him. "I'm sorry son, I know that was very uncomfortable. But sometimes it's best that we turn things over to the Lord and - "

"Daddy, I'm not a boy," Eddie dredged up the nerve to say. He turned and looked his father in the eye. Leo's eyes got that mystified look again. They got wider, then he closed them and shook his head vigorously.

"No, no, I'm not seeing it!" he desperately tried to convince himself. After a moment he started the car and then drove them home, not once looking over at Eddie.

Back at home, Marian met them at the door and started to nervously ask how it went, but was immediately cut off by Leo ordering Eddie to go up to bed. He cast a sad glance at his mother, and then went upstairs.

Eddie stared at the wall as he laid on his side on the bed, the muffled sound of his parents arguing drifting up from downstairs. The euphoria he'd felt a few hours ago, the simple joy of smelling a flower - now he felt all crumpled up and sour. It had been going so well, but the talisman was too poky. It had left an opening for his father and the Reverend to catch up, and was leaving too many holes to be exploited. All he wanted now was to be his mama's little girl, her sweet little peach. But it seemed that God would step in now, and make them put their little game away. They say God has a plan for each of us, and surely his plan is not the same as Mickie's plan.

But they also say that God moves in mysterious ways. Maybe what they're trying to do is his plan after all?

17