17 – Coming clean
323 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eva was still floating on a cloud when she walked in the front door after her hike with Mike. Her mother was sitting at the kitchen table looking a bit sour, but it would take more than that to dampen Eva's mood.

"Hi Mom!" she squeaked, giving her a peck on the forehead. "Why so glum? It's a beautiful day!"

"Well I'm glad you're so chipper. But I just got off a phone call from Stacy Larson."

"Ugh! Stacy Larson! Why can't she just give it a rest! She won't leave me alone!!"

"Eva! You told me earlier you couldn't remember anything about Stacy! And about other things too! Just what is going on here?"

Uh oh, Eva thought. This could get even weirder with her mom. She hated lying to her, but she couldn't tell the truth without getting marched off to the looney bin. She'd have to say she was lying earlier. Which was ironic, since she was truthful earlier, but was now lying about lying. But now that she had her memories, she knew exactly what this Stacy drama was about. So maybe being open with her mom would smooth things over, and steer her away from her earlier suspicions.

She sighed and sat down across from Marian. "Mom, I'm sorry, I just didn't want to get into it about Stacy. It's just a big stupid scene, you know how girls can get."

"So you mean that was all an act? That whole memory loss thing?"

She stared down at the tiles on the kitchen floor. "Yes ma'am. I'm really sorry."

"And what about the rest of it? Going to the movies, our vacation plans?"

"We went to see The Apple Dumpling Gang with Valerie and Ronda. Dad stayed home with Rosey. We got cracker jacks and Ronda's prize was a ring, which she pretended to propose to Valerie with and we all laughed. And you said Bill Bixby's kinda cute."

"And our vacation?"

"We talked about Glenwood Springs and the Maroon Bells and Grand Junction," Eva confirmed sheepishly. "And if we have time maybe we'll go into Utah and see Arches."

"Eva! Do you have any idea how worried I was about you? That was scary, I thought something was wrong with your head! And now I find out you were just pulling my leg this whole time? This is so unlike you!"

"Mom, Mom, I'm really sorry! I just didn't want to talk about Stacy."

"Well she said on the call that you stole something from her. Which also doesn't sound like you, but now I'm really starting to wonder!"

"Stole something? Ha! If something isn't yours in the first place, it can't be stolen!"

"Listen, young lady, you need to come clean right this instant! No more games!"

Eva sighed again. "Look Mom, like I said, it's just dumb girl drama. Stacy really likes Mike, and now that I'm his girlfriend, she's really jealous and she thinks I took him from her. But he never wanted her in the first place!"

"Girlfriend?" Marian's tone changed, and a hint of a smile crept across her lips. "Since when?"

"Oh..." Eva blushed and looked away. "Um, since last week?"

"Why you sneaky little thing!" Marian beamed. "When were you going to fill in your silly old mother about this bombshell news?"

"Uh, yeah, well I guess I wanted to make sure it was really for real. But after today... well, it's really for real!"

"Oh my little sweet peach!" Marian came around to Eva's side of the table and gave her a big squeeze. "My baby's first boyfriend! You're growing up so fast!"

Eva melted into her mother's embrace. This is as good as it gets, she thought. Her mother reveling in her girlishness. A warmth in the very center of her heart spread out to every corner of her body and sent goosebumps cascading across her skin.

"Mom, I'm sorry I kept these things from you. I don't ever want to do that. You're my favorite person and I wanna be just like you. And that means being honest and open."

Marian's eyes were watery. "You're just the sweetest little peach ever. But are you really sure I'm your favorite person?" she said with a sly grin.

"Well you've got some real competition now," she smiled. "But you're still #1."

"That's my girl." She tousled her hair. "I'm very happy for you, but you be careful, ok? Boys can't always be trusted."

"I can trust Mike. He would never do anything to hurt me."

"Well let's hope that's the case. But you watch out all the same. You don't know much about boys, I'm afraid. Deep down they're all the same, they want one thing. And if you give that to them too easily, they'll never respect you."

"Mom! I know a thing or two about boys, you know." She smiled to herself, but at the same time marveled - she felt so thoroughly female now, it almost seemed true that she no longer understood boys.

"Oh do you? Well not too much, I hope!"

"Mom, not like that! Anyway, I mean it about Mike. He's very protective of me. In a good way. You don't need to worry."

"Well you still be careful. But I do have a good feeling about him, I think you'll be fine. You make a very cute couple."

Just then the phone rang and Marian went to answer it.

"It's for you sweetie, it's Patsy."

Eva ran to the phone and snatched the receiver.

"Patseeeeeeey!" she squealed.

"Eeeeeevaaaaaa!"

"Oh my gosh, how are you, I haven't talked to you in days!"

"Yeah, cuz you've been a busy busy girl! No time for your best friend now? I haven't talked to you since you told me your BIG NEWS last week!"

"Well yeah," Eva giggled, "I guess I have been pretty busy! But I should have called you. I've just been distracted and forgetful."

"Head in the clouds, huh? It sounds like you've got Waller fever!"

"Patsy stop!"

"I won't stop until you tell me all about it! I'm dying to know. Details!"

"Well Valerie's party's tomorrow night, right? I'll fill you in on everything then."

"Oh my gosh, you're going to make me wait another 24 hours?! You're killing me here!"

"It's not fair if I tell you and not Val. You're just gonna have to wait! Anyway, you owe me details about you and Troy!"

"Ok, ok, I'll wait. We'll just have to drag it out of you with some Truth or Dare!"

"You're terrible! But I can't wait to see you, I miss you so bad!"

"I miss you too, Eva Kuh-nee-vah! See you tomorrow!"

"See ya, Peppermint Patsy! Bye!"

Eva hung up the receiver and exhaled. The exhilaration she felt was staggering. Eddie had never had the type of intense close friendship that she now clearly had with Patsy and Valerie. Sure, Eddie and Mickie were close, but that was a whole different vibe. This was a tightness she couldn't have imagined - sharing everything, not holding things inside, talking with each other about their feelings. Such a different way of existing with others than she had experienced in her before-life. And now that she recalled everything, she had Valerie's birthday party to look forward to, an opportunity the very next night to share that closeness.

She helped her mother with supper, and the four of them sat down to a nice meal. Her father was in a relaxed, joking mood, and Rosemary said lots of cute funny things. After cleaning up Eva went upstairs to her bedroom and laid down on her bed.

Finally alone, she could start to process the intensity of the day. Waking up in a female body the day before had been monumental, but this day had been equally extraordinary. Her memories as Eddie felt like a screen that had been whisked away, and now what remained were her natural memories. Had they really happened to her, had she really lived them? She couldn't really work that one out, but they sure felt more real than the others.

She got up and took off her clothes to change into her nightgown. Before putting it on she stood in front of the mirror, something she didn't often do naked. She looked down at her girl parts. Yep, there it is, same as ever, she thought. She thought back to Mike's comment about how strange it was to have something hanging between his legs. Yes, she thought, that must feel strange. How did she live with that all those years, and not find it odd? It was rather baffling now.

Her eyes rose up to chest level. This was a bit different. The budding breasts making their appearance there were as much a mystery to Eva as they were to Eddie. How big will they grow? What will it feel like to carry them around? What effect will they have on the boys?

She started to feel uncomfortable and pulled on her nightgown, obscuring their presence. It was a little scary, she thought, growing these things, but exciting too. Maybe someday she'd feed a baby with them? The idea was unsettling but still, it filled her with a warmth. Even when, as Eddie, she'd felt like she was already a girl, the thought of being a wife and mother was terrifying. But now - well, it just felt nice and cozy. After all, she'd been dreaming about it since she was just a little girl.

After tucking herself into bed, her thoughts returned to the most delicious topic of them all. She was Mike's girlfriend. She retraced their walk around the abandoned fairgrounds, the way he had stopped her at the bleachers and had her sit down. How he'd stooped down to pick a dandelion, the only flower around, and presented it to her. How he'd told her, nervously, that she was consuming his thoughts, and haunting his dreams. And how he wanted nothing more than to be her boyfriend and protector. And how she had trembled as she told him there's nothing she wanted more than to be his girlfriend. And then they held hands as they walked around silently and soaked it all in. A peace and contentment radiated her being, and she drifted happily off to sleep.

17