22 – Dance with me
411 10 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was the third attempt at getting her make up right, and Eva was feeling increasingly tense. She hadn't had much practice at this - her parents didn't approve of makeup for someone her age - but tonight was a special occasion, and they had bent the rules. Twice she'd applied foundation and eyeliner and mascara and lipstick, and twice she'd had her mom help her remove it so she could start over. Marian volunteered to help her with applying it too, but Eva felt strongly that she needed to be in control of her look. She was trying to impress Mike, and only she knew what he would like. She had to get it just right. But in reality she really didn't have a clue what she was doing.

The occasion was the first junior high dance. School had been going for a few weeks, and it was now time for the fall dance that was held for the seventh and eighth graders every year. Eva had never attended such an event, and neither had any of her classmates, so everyone was all a-twitter about it all week. There was lots of drama about who would go with whom, but luckily Eva and Mike were able to avoid all of that, as their relationship was now well established, and publicly known. They had become one of those couples that other people talk about - minor celebrities of a sort. Many of the girls envied Eva for dating the handsome young running back, and certainly a lot of the boys were crushed out on the pretty blonde who was one of the sweetest girls at school.

After a while Eva peered into the mirror at her latest handiwork. Maybe the third time was a charm. It didn't look half bad. She debated in her head about whether to give in and call in her mother, and in the end she decided to do so. She had the basic look down, but a few adjustments seemed to be in order.

"Mom!" she called out the open door of her bedroom. "Can you come help me?"

Marian was there in a flash. "Oh goodness, look at you! You look so grown up!"

"Yeah yeah, Mom. I get it. But I just need a little help. I think I almost have it but my eyes don't look quite right."

"You're a little heavy on the eyeliner, dear. Here, let's scale that back a little, you don't want to look like a hooker."

"Mom! I don't look like a hooker, do I?"

"No, of course not honey, I'm sorry, I'm exaggerating. But the trick is to be alluring without looking like you're trying to be alluring. It's a fine line."

"You're not really making sense."

"You'll understand someday, dear. It's like I've said, boys want one thing, but if they think you want that too, they're not as interested. And anyway, we don't want to encourage any of that."

"Mom, you know Mike's not like that! But I want to look my best for him."

"I know dear, and you will. Mike's going to be the luckiest boy there." She spent a couple more minutes touching up her daughter's face. "There, how does that look?"

Eva studied the reflection of her corrected face, and got a fluttery feeling. "Wow Mom, I don't know what you did, but it's just right! Gosh is that really me?" She felt a sudden wave of disbelief shudder through her. It had been well over a month since she became Eva, and remembering her Eddie-ness was becoming increasingly hazy. But every once in a while the juxtaposition suddenly threw itself in her face. This sweet lovely countenance staring back at her from the mirror was her very own.

"It's really you, peach. Now let's finish getting you dressed, it's getting a tad late."

Eva pulled on her black tights and a pair of short heels, to go with the maroon dress she was wearing. The dress hugged her pretty snugly and her nascent womanly shape was well accentuated by it. Her mother had helped her put some curls in her hair earlier, and with the whole package in place now, she looked about as feminine as she ever had. It brought out that feeling she'd been feeling frequently the past few weeks, like she'd been wandering around lost in the woods for ages but had finally found the right path and now, with relief, was comfortably on her way.

A ding-dong wafted up from downstairs. "Oh, there's your date, honey, it's showtime!" Marian said excitedly. She hurried down to get the door while Eva took a deep breath and slowly started her descent down the stairs. She was about a third of the way down when her mother opened the door to let Mike in.

"Come on in Michael dear - oh Lord, don't you look handsome!" Marian gushed.

"Thank you, Mrs. Kettler," Mike chuckled, stepping inside. He was wearing dressy black pants with a smart button-down dark blue shirt, and was holding flowers. He glanced up the stairs as Eva resumed her descent, and took in a sharp intake of air when he saw her. Their eyes locked and remained so as she slowly walked down the rest of the stairs.

"Wow Eva, you look, um... gosh... I mean, really pretty," Mike struggled to put words together, his mouth slightly agape. Eva smiled and blushed. She felt a thrill, a sense of power, like she could get him to do anything for her, even though she knew she would never exploit it. It was a new and enticing sensation.

"Doesn't she though?" Marian agreed. "You two are going to be a sensation at this dance! All heads will turn when you walk in, I guarantee it!"

Leo walked out from the living room. "Why hello Mike, now don't you look dapper! And - oh!" He turned to look at his daughter and was taken aback at how she looked. "Well, I'll be! Mike, you're going to have to hold onto this one real tight, cuz every fella in that place is going to be trying to whisk her away from you! My my, my little Evie is not so little anymore is she?"

"No she's not," Marian replied, "she's - oh wait! Eva, you almost forgot!" She scurried back upstairs and came quickly back down, holding Grandma K's necklace.

"Oh you're right, I did forget! Thank you, Mom!" Marian put the necklace on Eva and clasped it in the back. "There, the perfect finishing touch! Now you two better run along, it's time to go!"

"Wait just a minute!" Leo called out and ran over to his desk. He returned carrying his Kodak Instamatic camera and popped a flash cube onto the top. "OK, you two, stand next to each other and say cheese!" Eva sidled up to Mike, who put his arm around her back, and they both said cheese as Leo snapped a couple photos, getting momentarily blinded by the flash.

"Alright you two, have a good time and you make sure my little peach gets home safely," Marian said to Mike as she kissed Eva on the cheek. They went out the front door and got into the back seat of Mrs. Waller's car, and were dropped off at the school a few minutes later.

Marian had called it - heads did indeed turn when Mike and Eva walked into the dance. A lot of the kids were there unpaired, hanging in packs with their friends, and the envy was palpable. Music was already playing in the darkened gymnasium, but most of the students were hanging back - there were only three or four couples actually dancing. Many of the boys were terrified at the thought of asking a girl to dance, and most of the girls had already convinced themselves they wouldn't be asked, so there was an odd sort of inertia hanging in the air.

Eva reflected briefly on what it would have been like to show up there as Eddie. He certainly wouldn't have asked a girl to go with him, or even dance once he got there. She was certain he wouldn't have asked Mickie, and Mickie would not have assented anyway. No, he would be part of one of these small groups of boys who clustered, talking a lot amongst themselves about which girls to ask, but never really following through. But now here she was, on the arm of a handsome boy. Mickie probably wouldn't be caught dead at one of these things, but as Mike he seemed quite happy to be there, playing a part that made sense for him.

They stood at the edge of the dance floor, trying to make small talk with each other a bit awkwardly, as they were both aware that other kids were staring at them and whispering to each other. Then the next song started up - the acoustic guitar intro of "Dance With Me" by Orleans. Mike raised his eyebrow at Eva.

"Dance with me?" he asked, holding out his hand.

Eva grinned at his cheesiness. "Why I'd be delighted," she said, and took his hand. The two walked conspicuously onto the floor, and Mike placed his right hand behind her back, grasping her right hand in his left. They started to move to the music, a bit awkwardly, but earnestly. Mike pulled her into a little half twirl, and from behind him she glimpsed Patsy beaming at her, making similar moves with Troy. Soon more couples filtered onto the floor, and she began to feel a bit less on display.

As the song came to the lyric "let it lift you off the ground," Eva gasped as her feet rose up off the floor. Mike had effortlessly lifted her and swung her gently around him, grinning all the while. As corny as she knew it was, she still couldn't help feeling like the rest of the lyrics were speaking directly to her. She certainly was "starry eyed", and when the singer sang "I can take you where you want to go," her eyes got a little misty. Mike had certainly taken her where she wanted to go, even before she realized it was what she wanted. Once again she thought back to how she had almost rejected the talisman, out of fear. What a sad future she would have consigned herself to, and doomed Mickie to. As Mike set her back down to earth, she burrowed her face into his shoulder, letting herself feel the melancholy of what could have easily been, and the sweet joy of what they had brought about. There were just enough tears to make a little damp spot on his shirt.

"Are you ok?" Mike asked as she lifted her head after the song. "You look like you were crying."

"Just tears of joy," she smiled at him. "I got all emotional being held by you."

"Girls." Mike shook his head jokingly as they made their way to the bleachers to sit down.

"I'm sorry we have actual feelings," Eva joked back.

"Mike," she asked softly as they sat, "do you ever miss it? You know, being a girl?"

He looked thoughtful for a moment. "No, not really. I mean.... well, maybe just a little," he said in a quiet voice. "Just in the sense that, well, I had to go against what was expected. I had to work a little harder just to be myself. And maybe that made me stronger? But then when I was feeling strong, it just felt even weirder to be a girl."

"Girls can be strong!" Eva objected.

"I know! But you know what I mean. It's a different type of strong. Anyway, I'd never go back. It's just not for me." He paused. "And how about you? Do you miss being a boy? Would you want to be here at the dance, as Eddie?"

"Oh heavens no! Being here as Eddie would have been kind of awful. But I guess I know what you mean, I had to work harder too to be myself back then. But I don't think it made me stronger. It just made me confused."

"Well, you were a very sweet and gentle boy. I suppose we need more of those in this world."

"I guess so. But I'm glad I don't have to be one of them anymore." She reached into her purse to grab a tissue for her eyes, and her fingers brushed across the cool smooth stone of the talisman, lying in wait at the bottom of the purse. She looked down at the pretty dress covering her body and smiled to herself, drinking in the majesty of it all.

"Well don't you two make just the perfect couple," came a familiar and somewhat sarcastic sounding voice. Eva's face fell as she lifted her head and saw Stacy Larson standing before them. She was wearing a cute yellow dress and an elaborate hairdo, and was standing next to Robbie Hammer, an eighth grader known as a star athlete. Eva noticed they were holding hands.

"Mike, you're looking dapper as usual," she said in a saccharine tone.

"Thanks Stacy, you look nice too."

"And you Eva, you look - ew, what happened to your eyes?"

Eva froze.

"Oh, she's ok, she was just crying a little," Mike explained. "Her makeup ran a bit."

"Oh? Trouble in paradise?" Stacy gloated. "I hope everything's ok between you two. Tell you what Eva, why don't you and me take a little trip to the ladies room? We'll get you all fixed up. Anyway, there's something I want to talk to you about."

Eva looked at Mike with beseeching eyes. "It's ok, go ahead," he said. "I'll stay and talk with Robbie." That was not the response Eva was hoping for from the boy who had promised to always take care of her. But she wasn't going to cause a scene, so she meekly got up and walked with Stacy out of the gymnasium.

In the brighter lights out in the hall Stacy took another look at Eva. "Wow, you really managed to smear yourself up. Was Mike just gonna let you sit there like that all night? Don't you worry though, I'm an old pro at touch ups." Stacy was talking a little too fast. "We've gotta bring out that pretty face of yours!"

A couple minutes later they were in the girls' bathroom in front of the mirror, and Eva finally got a look at herself.

"Oh goodness, no wonder," she dismayed.

"Don't you worry, honey," Stacy said as she wetted a paper towel and started dabbing around Eva's eyes. "There, we'll get this all cleaned up." She leaned back to examine her work and sighed. "Look Eva, I wanted to talk to you because... well, you know I really had my eye on Mike. And then you just swooped in and, all of a sudden, I'm like chopped liver! And then I see you two, and he's making you cry, and I'm thinking, maybe he's not all he's cracked up to be? I mean, don't think it's sour grapes, but maybe you should think twice about -"

"He didn't make me cry!" Eva cut her off. "I was only crying because he makes me so happy!"

Stacy snorted. "That old excuse? C'mon Eva, you can tell me. Is he treating you right?"

"He treats me perfectly. I really mean it, when we were dancing, I was just so full of joy, I couldn't believe my luck, and I started tearing up..."

Stacy narrowed her eyes and studied Eva's face. "Hmm. I think you really do mean it."

"I do! Stacy, I can tell you in all honesty, Mike changed my life. I'm not the same person I used to be."

"You know, there is something different about you lately. I can't quite put my finger on it. But anyway, listen Eva. The point of this whole talk is, I was real jealous of you, but then..." Her mouth formed into an excited smile.

"But then?"

"But then I met Robbie! And oh my gosh, he's so dreamy! And I just kinda forgot all my feelings for Mike. So I wanted to tell you, I'm sorry. I had some real not-nice thoughts about you, and I feel bad about that. Cuz you're a sweet girl and all and, well, it's not so good making enemies. So I was hoping maybe we could like, be friends maybe?"

"You and me friends?" Eva asked incredulously.

"Yeah, why not? Life's too short and all that, right?"

"Umm... I mean... are you really sure you're over Mike? You're not gonna call my mom again or anything?"

Stacy chortled. "Oh gosh, I did call your mom, didn't I? I'm so sorry! I was a little bit cuckoo over the summer. I promise, no calling your mother!"

"Well, I guess we could try being friendly. I don't like having enemies either... "

"Ok, it's settled. I don't expect your gang to give me a nickname anytime soon or anything like that, but let's you and me hang out after school one day. You know, talk about boys n stuff. That is, if you can peel yourself away from Mr. Running Back for an afternoon," she grinned. "Who knows, maybe we can even double date sometime."

"Hmm, I don't know about that. But sure, we can hang out next week, that sounds nice."

"OK, now that you're cleaned up, you need a retouch. I hope you brought some makeup in that purse of yours?"

Eva reached into her purse for her mascara. Once again her fingers brushed the talisman. She hoped Stacy wouldn't get too brash and start rummaging through the purse herself.

"Honestly, it's so hard being a girl sometimes," Stacy went on. "Always going to so much trouble to make ourselves look nice, and then our stupid emotions make us cry and mess up our makeup. Not to mention all these silly jealous feelings I get. I swear, it must be so easy being a guy! Just throw on a t-shirt and you're good to go. You ever wonder what that would be like? I mean, no worrying about periods, no worrying about mean girls, just joking around with your buddies all the time, and then you grow up and get all the good jobs, while your wife waits on you hand and foot! Wouldn't that be the life! Lucky ducks."

The mascara was eluding Eva's fingers, and yet again she touched the cool stone at the bottom of the purse. She was suddenly stricken with a thought. It couldn't be meant for Stacy, could it? But she's so girly, it couldn't be! On the other hand, she's kinda full of surprises tonight. Is it possible?

She grasped the stone, her hand still hidden within the purse. Was it getting warmer? It did feel warmer than before. Is that the sign? Or was it just her own hand warming it up?

"Hello? Calling Space Cadet Eva. Are you gonna get that mascara or what?"

Eva shook out of her reverie and finally grabbed something that felt like the mascara. She pulled it out and handed it to Stacy.

"Ok, stand very still. I'm pretty good at this but don't jerk around." Eva held dutifully still while Stacy worked her magic. "Ok, there we go. Have a look."

"Wow, Stacy," Eva once again marveled at how much a little makeup could change her look. "You're a miracle worker! Maybe you're ok after all."

"I told you I'd fix you up," she chuckled. "Although it's not too hard with you. You really are so pretty, Eva. I guess I was jealous of that too."

"But you're so pretty too, Stacy! That's why I got worried, I could tell Mike thought you were pretty."

"Really? Oh well, his loss! Cuz Robbie says I'm goooorgeous!" She dramatically lengthened the 'o' sound and made a kissy face that was a little too goofy to be gorgeous. They both giggled. "Speaking of Robbie and Mike, I guess we better get back, they're gonna start thinking we got into a catfight or something!"

"Stacy, before we go, did you... did you really mean what you said earlier?" She surreptitiously put her hand back into her purse.

"You mean about staying away from Mike? Of course, I told - "

"No, no, not that. I mean, when you said how great it would be to be a boy."

"Well sure, I mean they've got it easy right? They just don't understand what we go through."

"So, if you had a chance to become a boy, would you take it?" Her fingers rested on the talisman, obscured in the purse.

Stacy cocked her head. "That's a weird question. That's not even possible."

"But if it was, would you want to do it?"

"Be a boy? Are you kidding? Yeah, they got it made, but they're so dumb sometimes. They don't know the first thing about half the things girls just get naturally. No, I was just complaining. Anyway, when Robbie's holding me, I feel just as girly as can be." She wrapped her arms around herself and gazed dreamily into space. "Why are you asking me such a strange question anyway? Would you rather be a boy?"

Eva laughed involuntarily. "Me? Oh gosh no. I can assure you, I love being a girl."

"I thought so," Stacy smiled. "I really couldn't imagine you as a boy! And speaking of boys, let's get back to ours."

"Stacy... thanks. I'm glad we had this talk. Can I have a hug?"

"Of course! Aww Eva, you're so sweet! I'm sorry I was such a pill." They shared an embrace that felt genuine, and then hurried out of the bathroom and back to the gymnasium.

Back at the dance, Mike and Robbie both stood up as Stacy and Eva approached. Mike looked uncomfortable, like he'd been worrying about what they were up to. Eva walked up to him and took his hand, smiling.

"Everything OK?" he asked.

"Yep, we're good. We're gonna hang out together next week!"

"Oh!" He look surprised. "That's great! And I see you fixed your makeup, you look beautiful."

"Aww thanks, Stacy helped with that. She's a pro."

A slow ballad was starting up over the loudspeakers, and Stacy and Robbie and other couples were heading back onto the dance floor.

"Shall we?" Mike asked.

"There's nothing I'd like more," Eva responded. They moved into the throng, and Mike pulled her close to him, wrapping his arms around her waist while she draped hers around his neck. They shuffled slowly to the gentle beat, with Eva at first resting her forehead against his shoulder. Then the strings started to swell, the singer's voice rose in passion, and Eva felt her heartstrings being plucked. She lifted her head and gazed up into her boyfriend's eyes. He was obviously moved as well, and as he met her gaze his breath caught, overwhelmed by how her loveliness made him feel in that charged moment. Their faces pulled nearer together, and she could sense both their hearts beating a little stronger as their chests touched. She fluttered her eyelids involuntarily as her body filled with an unfamiliar need. Now the tips of their noses were touching, and the totality of her field of vision was the deep pools of his eyes. She felt the warmth of his jagged breath, and somehow their faces pulled even nearer to each other...

The song hit a crescendo, and suddenly a warm soft sensation filled her lips. She was lightheaded, she was on fire, she was on a cloud. She was kissing her boyfriend! Everything was right, everything was perfect! At that moment all the anguish, all the awkwardness of being Eddie was all worth it, it was all a long voyage to this very moment, all an elaborate, unbelievable windup to this conclusion. She felt fulfilled, fully realized, fully Eva. When she finally opened her eyes, she could see that Mike felt it too.

"Eva," he whispered in her ear, "you're so amazing. I... I... I love you, Eva."

Bells and whistles and confetti exploded in Eva's mind, and heart. How could she ever feel any better than this? "I love you too Mike!! I've always loved you!" she blurted out.

The song ended and they walked back to the bleachers, stunned, hand in hand. They almost couldn't look at each other as they sat down - what had happened felt so momentous it couldn't be voiced. So they sat there quietly together, marinating in the floatiness. Eva eventually cuddled up against his arm, looping her hand around his bicep and leaning her head against the side of his shoulder. He turned and whispered in her ear.

"I wanna do that again sometime."

"Yes!" she whispered as she turned her head toward him, and suddenly there they were, those lips a mere breath away from hers. Their eyes locked, dreamy but fiery, like slow motion magnets pulling toward one another. Inching closer, their gaze held, all the way up until a second soft collision of their lips caused their eyelids to flutter closed. Sight and sound were no longer welcome - there was only the feeling of their mouths together, an all consuming sensation. Melting together, melding, fusing, becoming one.

The sound of a wolf whistle suddenly killed the mood. Eva opened her eyes and turned her head to see Ronda standing in front of them, grinning widely.

"Go get 'em, Eva!" she hooted.

The warmth of the kiss was replaced by a blaze of embarrassment, and Eva was thankful for the dim lighting that obscured how red her cheeks must be. She certainly wasn't ashamed of her feelings for Mike, but she had been settling into her role as a "good girl", and she suddenly felt like she was breaking the rules somehow.

"Hey don't stop on my account!" Ronda teased, as she sidled in next to Eva on the bleacher bench. "You two sure look like you're enjoying the dance!"

Ronda's mirth was infectious and Eva managed a bit of a smile through her embarrassment. "Yeah, it's going great," she affirmed. "How about you? You enjoying yourself?"

"Oh, its been alright," she lowered her voice. "Except I have my awkward cousin following me around. It's kind of a bummer."

"You mean Gail?"

"Yeah, they're in town this weekend and I had to bring her along tonight. And it seems like anytime Artie - ", she suddenly flinched a little. "Oh hey Gail, you remember Eva, right?"

Ronda's stocky cousin had approached, wearing an ill-fitting pantsuit and looking uncomfortable.

"Sure I remember, from your friend's party," she mumbled. "Hi Eva."

"Hi Gail, welcome back to Prairie Falls. This is my friend Mike. Mike, this is Gail, Ronda's cousin from out of town."

Mike and Gail exchanged greetings and then she rather clumsily sat down on the other side of Ronda. Ronda ignored her and turned back to Eva.

"Like I was saying, I've had a couple dances with Artie, but we keep getting interrupted. It's driving me batty!"

"Well, there's still quite a bit of time left, I'm sure you'll get more time with him."

"I hope so! This one," she surreptitiously pointed in Gail's direction and spoke out the side of her mouth, " is hopeless! Just following me around like a sad puppy dog, frowning and sighing!"

"Well I'm sure it's uncomfortable not knowing anyone..."

"Whatever. I just wish - "

"Hey Ronda, care to dance?" Artie Butler had appeared, holding out his hand in Ronda's direction.

Ronda flashed a quick excited smile at Eva, then turned back to Artie. "Sure, I'd love to!" And just like that she disappeared, melting into the throng on the dance floor.

"Hey Eva," Mike said, "I'm off to the little boys room. Save my seat?" They smiled at each other and he walked off to the exit from the gym. Eva sat quietly for a minute, then glanced over at Gail. Gail returned the glance, then nervously looked down again.

Eva felt a pang, suddenly channeling how Eddie might have felt being there, and scooched over to be closer to Gail. "It must be kinda strange not knowing anybody here Gail. I suppose it feels a bit uncomfortable."

"Yeah, I suppose so," she replied, fidgeting. "I guess it's not just that - this type of thing just isn't for me, I reckon."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know... romance, and trying to appeal to boys and all that... I don't expect I'll ever be good at that."

"Aw Gail, don't say that - you never know what might happen."

"I'm pretty sure I know. Anyway, thanks for talking with me. Even Ronda hardly wants to talk to me. I guess I'm kinda in the way."

"I'm sorry Gail. That sounds like it's not very fun. But you can hang out with Mike and me! I'm sure he won't mind, he's a nice guy."

"Thanks Eva, that's really nice but I'm ok. You two look like you're having a good time together, I don't want to be in the way."

"Hey, it's no trouble, don't worry about it," Eva assured her, a profound sympathy building up inside her. She searched for an ice breaker, some way to make Gail start to get more comfortable. "Hey, you want a mint? I have some in my purse."

Eva once again stuck her hand into the purse, to rummage for the mints. She pulled out a tin and opened it, handing one to Gail and taking one for herself. As she placed it back into the purse, she sat up straight and gasped.

"What's the matter Eva?" Gail puzzled.

Eva's hand was vibrating. It had run against the talisman as she was returning the mints. The stone was pulsating, sending a shock up through her fingers. She yanked her hand out of the purse. "Um, I'm OK, it's fine!" She gingerly pulled open the purse and peered inside. The eyes of one of the faces on the rock were glowing red, cycling back and forth from bright to dim.

"Wow, what is that? That's really weird." Gail had followed Eva's eyes and had bent over to look into the purse. She seemed transfixed, her mouth opening as she stared intently at the pulsing talisman.

"Um, it's nothing, just a weird rock!" Eva snapped the purse shut, very flustered, suddenly breathing heavily. She didn't want to look at Gail but couldn't help herself, needing to see the girl's reaction. Gail's expression was one of wonder mixed with a little fear.

"I - I feel really strange..." Gail said in a soft voice. Eva felt strange too - a little lightheaded, and with an odd buzzing energy building up in her abdomen. She continued looking at Gail, and the fuzziness in her head was drawing up the energy from her abdomen, and somehow congealing it, until after a few moments it felt like a breeze was dissipating clouds in her mind, and a sharp clarity formed. Now she knew what she needed to do. It was time. Gail was the one.

"Gail, listen to me, I think we need to get you outside. You need some fresh air. Will you come with me?"

Gail looked at her confused. "Yeah, I feel all... I mean... yeah, some fresh air..."

Eva stood up, and offered her hand to help Gail get up. Gail grabbed the outstretched hand, and almost pulled Eva down with her greater weight, but managed to pull herself to her feet. Eva placed her hand behind the larger girl's back and led her to the door out of the gym. Just as they had emerged into the hallway, Mike was walking back from the bathroom.

"Oh hey Mike, I'm just taking Gail out for some fresh air, she's not feeling so well."

"Oh, sorry to hear that. I'll come with you."

"No!" Eva said quite a bit more forcefully than she meant. She modulated down to a softer tone. "I need to do this myself Mike, we'll be alright."

Mike cocked his head in confusion, and Eva flashed him a nervous smile and motioned with her head for him to go back in to the gym. He stood there uncertain for a moment, but then slowly walked back to the gym, watching them the whole while. Eva continued escorting Gail to the front door of the school and out into the night air. They walked across the lawn to a big tree where Eva felt they could talk in privacy.

They sat down under the tree. "Eva, I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me. I think I'm OK now. I just saw that thing in your purse and all of a sudden I felt.... well, I don't even know how to describe it."

"Gail listen, there's something we have to do. This may seem weird, but that thing in my purse, well..." she pulled the talisman out of her purse and showed it to Gail. The eyes began to glow red again.

"I don't know why," Gail said softly, her voice catching, "but... I want to hold it."

Eva slowly placed the rock in Gail's palm, placing her other hand against the back of Gail's hand. A warmth began to build from the stone, and Eva gently pulled her hands away, leaving the talisman in Gail's palm. Gail's eyes were riveted to it, as the red glow slowly pulsated. She slowly closed her fingers around it. Suddenly she gasped and her eyes almost rolled back into her head. Eva watched with some alarm, but she knew this had to play out.

After an excruciating few moments, Gail's fingers relaxed, her eyes readjusted, and the stone ceased to glow. She was breathing heavily, and slowly turned to Eva.

"What was that?" she panted.

"You tell me," Eva replied.

"My brain..." she shook her head, "it was like a million memories all flashed through it at once."

"What kind of memories?"

"All the times that I... I mean, thoughts I've had, about..."

"About what?"

Gail frowned. "About things I don't want to talk about."

"Gail, you can talk about it with me. I might know better than you can imagine."

Gail gave her a piercing look. "No. You wouldn't at all. You couldn't understand. You're all soft, and girly, and cute. I'll never be those things. And I don't... I don't even wanna be."

"And the talisman knows that, doesn't it?"

"Tali - talisman?"

"That weird rock. It's called a talisman. And it knows something about you. And it wants to help."

"Why would... a rock want to help me?"

Eva looked directly into her eyes. "Gail, it helped me. And Mike."

"What do you mean?"

"Look, once upon a time there was this boy named Eddie. And he didn't fit in so well being a boy. And he had a friend, this girl named Mickie. Only she didn't like being a girl. She wanted to be a boy. And now she is. I mean, he is."

"I don't get what you're saying."

"What I'm saying is, Mike used to be a girl named Mickie. She was like you, but the talisman made her a boy. And I used to be a boy named Eddie."

Gail got a hurt look on her face and started to get up. "I thought you were different Eva. But you're just trying to play some fancy prank on me and get me to say embarrassing things! And I almost fell for it!"

"Gail, that's not true! I know what you just felt because it happened to me! When I held that rock, all of a sudden I remembered all the times that I wished I was a girl. I didn't even want to admit it, but there they all were, spelled out so clearly. And the feeling was so strong! I knew it had to be real, even though it didn't make sense. And so I let it do what it needed to do to me, and now I'm all right side up finally! And Mickie did too and now she's Mike, and he's so much happier! And now it wants to help you!"

Gail softened a little and looked back at the talisman still in her hand. "I just don't see how that could be real. Mike's such a boy, and you're such a girl. But it does give me such a strange feeling. But how can a rock do all that anyway?"

"It's kinda complicated, but I'll teach you all about it. Anyway, its picked you now, it really wants you to be a boy."

"This rock wants me to be a boy?"

"Well don't you want that too?"

Gail paused for a long time, gazing at the talisman. "I do," she finally said, "I've always wanted it. Something just was always wrong. And I've tried to get over it but it doesn't go away."

"And that's what the rock made you remember, right?"

"It was like every situation where I've felt that way, every memory like that was just flooded into my mind at once."

"I think that's how the talisman helps us realize how much we need what it can give us."

"Well it's a crazy trick. But I still don't see how this can... change me into... I mean... make me a boy. That's just not possible." She held the stone out to Eva. "Here, this is making me feel too weird."

"Gail, it belongs to you now. My time with it is finished. My last task was to find its new rightful owner, and that's you. Now it's your job to find a partner."

"A partner?"

"You need to find a boy who wants to be a girl."

Gail chuckled. "Well that's easy."

"I know it sounds impossible Gail, but they're out there, you'll find somebody like that and then you'll do this thing together."

"I wasn't being sarcastic, I mean that really is easy. I know someone just like that."

"You do?"

"Yeah, my friend Darren. One time in kindergarten he swapped clothes with me because he wanted to wear my dress. Nowadays he's more careful but he told me a couple times he wished he was a girl. It's pretty obvious with him."

"Well that's perfect! Then you can get right to it!"

Gail stared at the talisman still in her hand and shook her head. "This can't really be real, can it? But somehow I feel something from it, like everything you're saying must be true. It's the queerest feeling..."

Eva turned her head at the sound of someone approaching, and saw Mike walking toward them. "Eva, what's going on?" he asked, concern on his face. "I was getting worried."

"Mike, it's all ok, here sit down," she patted the grass beside them. Mike cautiously took a seat next to her, and followed Eva's finger pointing to Gail's palm.

"The talisman!" he gasped. "You mean...?"

"Yes," Eva smiled, "Gail's next."

"Mike, Eva told me some strange stories..." Gail said tentatively.

"Whatever she said, it's true," Mike admitted, glancing nervously at Eva, then back at Gail. "If that thing has chosen you, then you must be a lot like I used to be. I know it sounds crazy, but I was a girl just a few weeks ago. And I never wanted to be. But then that thing...fixed me."

"But how is it everybody just treats you like a normal boy? And treats you Eva like an ordinary girl? Didn't people freak out when this happened?"

"It changes everything, Gail!" Eva exclaimed. "Everybody thinks I've always been a girl! And I even remember being a little girl! It's like it cleans up everything. Although things are kinda weird for a while."

"Weird, how?"

"Well it takes a few days, and things are sorta in-between for a while, if that makes sense..."

The front doors of the school opened, and kids started filtering out. The dance must have ended, and people were starting to leave.

"Uh oh, Ronda will be looking for me..."

"Look Gail," Eva said, shifting gears quickly, "there's still a lot we need to fill you in on - how this thing works, what to expect. How much longer are you in town?"

"We're heading back tomorrow evening."

"Is there any time tomorrow you could get away from Ronda for a while?"

"Well she has her piano lesson at 11:00, she'll be gone for an hour or so."

"Great. You know where the park is?"

"Sure, I know."

"Ok, meet me and Mike there at 11:00, we'll fill you in on everything. Meanwhile, keep the talisman with you. We'll see you there?"

"Yeah I'll be there." Gail's face was a flushed mix of nerves and marvel. She took one last look at the talisman before sliding it into the pocket of her pants, just before Ronda came bounding up to them from out of the throng of kids emerging from the school.

"There you are! Jeez, what's going on with you guys? I was looking all over for you Gail! I hope you're not boring my poor friends to death over here!"

"No Ronda," Eva said, "we've been having a nice chat. Definitely not boring! We all needed some fresh air so we stepped out early. You have a good time with Artie?"

Ronda made an exaggerated swooning type of motion, then leaned in close. "He kissed me!" she whispered loudly, her eyes huge.

Eva looked sideways at Mike and smiled slyly, then turned back to Ronda. "Oh my gosh! That was fast!"

"I know! But I'm not complaining!" She looked upward with a dreamy look, her hands clasped together. "But enough about that - Gail, we have to get going, my mom is waiting over there in the car. And I'm sure these two lovebirds have better things to do than babysit my cousin," she smirked.

"Ok," Gail said as she stood up. "It was nice talking to you, Eva and Mike. I'll, um, see you sometime?"

"Yeah Gail, it was nice, see you around," Eva replied, sneaking a wink when Ronda wasn't looking. And Ronda and Gail walked off, Gail turning her head to look back once more, trying to process what had just transpired. Then they got into her aunt's car and drove off.

Eva and Mike remained under the tree, facing each other and holding each other's hands as they waited for his mom to pick them up.

"You ready to play teacher tomorrow?" Eva asked him.

"Yeah - we'll need to make good use of that hour, there's a lot to tell her. Maybe we should meet at 10:00 and get a plan together?"

"Sounds good to me, I wouldn't mind spending an extra hour with you," she smiled at him. "Mike, what just happened with Gail was amazing and exciting, but what happened earlier in there with you... well that was pretty amazing and exciting too..."

Mike slowly pulled her closer to him, his eyes locked on hers. "I hope someday Gail gets to feel what I'm feeling right now," he said, their faces growing ever nearer. "The greatest gift the talisman gave me was you."

Eva's heart thumped as it melted. The love she felt for this boy was overpowering. He had coaxed her into stepping into this wonderful reality, and now she was journeying through it with her beautiful dainty little feet. And she had the privilege of passing that gift on to another lucky pair of kids. She was feeling peak gratitude as their lips met for the third time that marvelous evening.

"You'll always take care of me Mike?" she asked softly.

"Always."

"I'll take care of you too, we'll take care of each other. Always."

Mike's mom pulled up, and the couple slowly walked hand in hand to the car, feeling the limitless opportunities their future held for them, and how they would share them together. And the satisfaction of knowing they were opening up two more futures, and all the others further along the chain.

+++++

Mike and Eva did meet Gail the next day, and hurriedly filled her in on everything from the movie of your life to the welcome walk. And the following spring they were thrilled to attend a track meet against the Maple Grove Tigers, where a young star athlete named Gary, who happened to be Ronda's cousin, broke a state record for shot put. And they were also thrilled to meet his adorable friend Daisy, who was just about the cutest, girliest gal you could ever imagine, and who hugged Eva with such enthusiasm they both tumbled to the ground in giggles. And the best part was hearing the story of how Daisy had met a young tomboy named Jo Ellen, who was now in possession of a certain little weird rock with glowing eyes.

17