I’m glad there’s no dust.
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tea’i heard the breeze blowing through the leaves in the garden.

 

The house seemed to have frozen.

 

Her mother stared at her in shock.

 

Something like horror entered her features.

 

Tea’i’s fists clenched as she braced herself for an outburst, even violence.

 

Her mother grimaced, a complex emotion of pain, anger, and sadness covered her face.

 

Her mother looked away from her and at the threadspinning supplies she had prepared.

 

Her mother’s body tightened as she clenched her own fists similarly to her daughter.

 

Tea’i knew her mother would be upset but she would not break her resolve..

 

Long moments of stillness passed.

 

Tea’i’s mother sighed as her shoulders slumped.

 

She seemed to want to look at anything but her daughter.

 

Long moment passed before her mother looked her in the eyes again.

 

“Go take a bath, Tea’i.” Her mother ordered flatly.

 

“Come to the meeting hall once you’ve finished.”

 

“Yes, mother.” Tea’i replied, feeling a sense of dread.

 

She found it difficult to look at her mother but she would not look away from the reality of her decision.

 

She felt tears well up in her eyes as she passed her family members, all bearing different looks of horror and sadness.

 

Her father walked outside without even looking at her.

 

Tears burned the back of her eyes but she was nonetheless determined.

 

Her fists clenched.

 

She was given a bath by one of the servants.

 

Oils that smelled expensive were applied to her hair and skin and she was washed thoroughly.

 

The servant also seemed determined not to look at her.

 

Tea’i continued to fight the guilt in her heart.

 

She didn’t want to be a threadspinner.

 

She knew what she wanted.

 

She wanted to be a mage.

 

The bath finished, more oils were applied, her hair was brushed through.

 

The servant added a single ornate comb to her hair.

 

It was the most expensive looking thing she had seen in their house.

 

It shone with brilliant flashes of blues ranging in the spectrum of sapphire and adorned white roses made of fabric that looked as if it were made of pearls.

 

The servant folded her hair into an ornate collection of braids and buns and placed the comb on the left side of her head to act as the centerpiece. 

 

The servant unfolded a kimono of deep purples that might have seemed black to a human that bore the crest of her family on the back.

 

It was high quality, the nicest piece of clothing she’d ever worn.

 

‘I wonder why they’re dressing me up.

 

‘I hope it isn’t for my own funeral.’ She thought to herself, doubting that anyone in her family would actually hurt her.

She was led to the family meeting hall.

 

The thin thin fabric wall gave off a foreboding aura, the head servant allowed her inside through a sliding door..

 

On the far end of the room sat her grandmother, grandfather, great aunt, and great uncle.

 

The head servant directed her to sit in godeza in the middle of the room facing towards them.

  

Tea’i sat facing her elders.

 

They had an intense energy that was difficult to describe.

 

Being near them had always given her goosebumps.

 

Her grandmother sat on a raised dais while her great aunt sat in the lower position just to her right.

 

Her grandfather sat in the lower position just to her left, while her great uncle sat next to him in the same position.

 

They were all wearing a similar kimono to hers but theirs bore thick horizontal stripes of purple down either of their shoulders.

 

It looked like some sort of indication of rank, but she was unsure what it meant exactly.

 

They sat in silence for several long moments.

 

Time seemed to stretch on.

 

She focused on regulating her breathing.

 

She coaxed her body into a relaxed state.

 

Being tense would not help her.

 

Her grandmother was the first to speak, her tone was formal and distant.

 

“Tea’i.” She let the name ring in the air for a moment.

 

“You have informed your mother that you wish to be a mage.

 

“Are you certain of this choice?” She asked.

 

Her tone indicated there was some decision to be made and that her response would finalize it.

 

Tea’i was resolved.

 

Her eyes showed only determination.

 

“Yes, grandmother.” She replied.

 

There was another pause.

 

A long moment of silence stretched on.

 

She forced her breathing to remain calm and kept herself from fidgeting.

 

The silence continued.

 

She forced herself to breathe evenly.

 

She would show no sign of weakness.

 

“Very well.” Her grandmother said.

 

“You are hereby disowned by the Xi’xala Clan.

 

“I strip you of the name Xi’Xala and the name Tea’i.

 

“I strip you of all rights to inheritance.

 

“You will be struck from the clan registry and all records of your existence will be erased.

  

“You will not speak to, or interact with, any member, or servant, of the Xi’Xala Clan.

 

“You will be allowed to sleep in the spare tool shed and supplied with a modest ration.

 

“Seven years from today, your rations will end and you will depart our lands.”

 

Her grandmother’s tone was cold and measured.

 

The girl once known as Tea’i allowed her eyes to widen in shock but did not break her resolve.

 

She had been forbidden from speaking, so she gave a small nod instead.

 

Tears welled in her eyes and fell unbidden from her cheeks but she did not drop her gaze.

 

The elders of the Xi’Xala Clan stared back at her.

Long moments passed.

 

She took deep breaths into her diaphragm to calm herself.

 

Her tears stopped falling but continued to cloud her sight.

 

‘It could be worse.’ She thought to herself.

 

The clan elders seemed to sense her resolve.

 

“Very well.” Her grandmother said.

 

A few more breaths passed between them.

Her grandmother rose from her seat and calmly exited the room.

 

The rest of the clan elders followed her.

 

The rest of the day went by fairly quickly

 

She had no things to pack.

 

She was stripped of her clothes and her comb.

 

They gave her a simple kimono, a pair of hakama style pants, a plain haori, and a pair of thick boots that would be useful in the snow.

 

The clothing was of common material but well-made and unused, they were oversized, so she could use them for several years.

 

Once she had changed, one of the servants escorted her to her new home.

 

The shed was small but well made, like everything else, it appeared to be of Japanese design.

 

‘It looks like they just finished cleaning it.’ She thought to herself as she wiped her hand along one of the walls and inspected her fingers

 

I’m glad there’s no dust.’ 

 

0