Chapter 1 – Is this an isekai?
143 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
If you get more than a little offended or triggered by assumptions or attempts to rationalize or explain God, just turn away now please. The next few chapters, if released, will most likely trigger you if you are not open to any "false" or "blasphemous" descriptions.

For those that didn't turn away, hi. This'll probably be a mess, but if you want to help me clean it up, feel free to comment.

"I hate you."

"Aw come on, it's just a little bit of portals laid around randomly, why are you so upset?"

Monk Basher was a fairly popular streamer with no face-cam and a tendency of making virtual torture chambers for his work friends. It is often believed that he harnesses their pain and hatred to fuel his vile imagination even more. This chamber was created in Minecraft, where if your idea wasn't possible, you weren't modding the game enough.

"I spent the last 30 minutes walking through a twisted version of the backrooms connected to an endless Ikea store with no way of choosing where I go, while running from Ikea employees and some loud invisible giant things! I even had to eat the meatballs! I had to survive off of meatballs I found in the Ikea! And this is only the third level!"

Monk spoke again, after getting his giggle he caught in the middle of his friends tirade under control.

"It's not like you HAVE to go through this, you know... You can just, leave."

"Leave a prize of £100,000 just like that? Never."

"Well, you might not be getting that prize, as LuckyClutzer is now on the last level, level 5! Can the infamously lucky YouTooter of the interweb succeed at ending my loving torture trap?"

This caused a cascade of noise as the majority of the hundred participants affirming that they wouldn't mind ending it all, completely ignoring his butchery of nouns.

"I-I can see the finish area! But there's nothing here... Where's the twi-aAAAHH!!"

"Oh my, it appears that she fell down the portal of randomness and got sent all the way back... to level negative 4!"

There was a moment of silence before a cacophony of denial, rage, hopelessness, anguish and many more emotions rained down through his speakers.

"Well, while you come to terms with your reality, I will go get a drink and hope that no god decides to make me ascend for my evil genius. Oh, and by the way, while anybody who disconnects now will be kicked from the competition, in about 4 hours that will change to saving where you left ready for you to come back. The game shall only end in half a year... or when everybody leaves."

Muting his mic, he left his computer and left the participants to get a hold of themselves as he got himself a drink. He walked from the top floor down to his kitchen through the living room, he opened his drinks freezer and looked through the mess of different drinks in it. He took one that caught his fancy, a green one, popped it open, then looked around the white room he found himself. 'Or is it an expanse? No, I see the walls, and some doors as well.'

Looking around, he noticed that while it was filled with people, most didn't seem to be from Earth, nor human, for that matter. At least, he didn't recall any humans with such pointy ears that they almost looked sharp, and unless he missed something in the news there were no fish people that were a purply-blue and webbed where it looked to matter.

Not to mention the near-chrome silver-skinned professionally dressed man, who's eyes gleamed with a... lifeless light behind his spectacles. Monk instantly noted him as the most likely reason for their arrival, unless he was just a sentient android/cyborg thing that was taking account of its surroundings.

Taking a quick sip of his drink, he noted that while there was a lot of noise coming from the confusion of appearing in a white room with probably no warning, there didn't seem to be any conflicts that threatened to erupt, suggesting either intelligent selection or pure luck, although volume didn't seem to be part of the selection requirements. Monk's lips pursed as a sound that felt too big for his ears squeezed into them, coming from what looked like giant giants from one corner of the room; a feeling as weird as the description. Judging by the placement, the people of the other corner seemed to have quite the adept hearing based off of their range of animalistic features, unfortunately for them; Intelligent placement or even more luck, then.

As he surveyed the area, he did find something that caused his mind to crash and restart a little bit: Two Dimensional people. Monk was sure that there was some reality or law-bending stuff being done to put two dimensional and three dimensional beings in the same room and NOT cause some sort of reality-ending event in an instant.

All observations and conversations came to an end as everyone and everything seemed to focus in onto the chrome man he took notice. He noted that he could still take sips from his drink. Mr. Chrome started to speak after he finished observing everyone.

"You can call me Silver Trader, a name that may clue you in onto my tendencies. All of you have been selected after passing a few requirements based off of your characters, chances of not falling into insanity due to exposure to things outside your knowledge and probable chances of not leading yourselves into destruction due to excessive stupidity. You have also been deemed to not be important enough to the world or an individual that your disappearance would cause negative emotions or harm at a large and/or extreme scale.

You have been given a chance to get a new life, though whether it's improved will depend on your actions and definition of improvement. This gift you will be given will be your own realm to grow, expand, upgrade, enhance, improve, whatever you think of you can do, with an obvious price; the bigger, more complicated the changes, the more energy it will require to be done, called -Divinity-. You will be given a small boost to get you started, and you will get more as you improve and expand your realm.

Should you deem this to be too good to be true, then you need not worry; there will be 100 days for you to decide if you wish to take the opportunity, else you will be sent back to the world you came from and not a second having passed, with your memory of this event wiped as if nothing happened. Within those 90 days you can find out about what you may be given, the limitations, the limits that you may bring upon yourself and the realm, whether for your safety or due to a fear, and much more, all of which you can find out in the library behind you,"

Their attention was shifted behind them to a bland white door, even as sighs of relief sprang out from the abducted audience. There was absolutely nothing that said or implied that the door lead to a library.

"Behind me is what you might call a data room, full of moving images and sounds to help you learn if reading doesn't help you much. You can search for examples of realms you could make, or learn combat techniques, or learn how to farm, build, look at examples of cultivating different energies you make or introduce into your realm, whatever interests you most."

Their attention was once again shifted to the door behind Traders back; Monk noticed that their attention wasn't following his words due to his natural charisma. It was also empty of any sign of being a data room.

"While in this place you get access to an unlimited amount of energy to use to test and get used to it's changing and creating properties of -divinity-, and a limited income that you can use for any consumables you may want; your basic needs will be automatically met in this space, so you have no need to eat or drink outside of any desires you may have. Due to it not being your -Divinity-, body, mind and spirit modifications will not be available to practice here.

Any questions you may have can be answered in either of the rooms or in my office. In order to enter you need to either will it or approach a wall and say my name. That is all."

After that info dump Silver Trader walked towards a wall which opened into a doorway. Monk could see an office-like interior through, though it lacked any traditional office qualities like plants, papers and machines from a first glance.

Monk needed a moment to let everything sink in.

First, divinity. Or, as Trader called it, -divinity-. Despite the same name, divinity and -divinity- were two different concepts. -Divinity- simply latched itself onto the word divinity because it was the closest translated equivalent he knew of, as -Divinity- made sure to remind him whenever he so much as even thought of it. He will have to find, or create, a word that he could give the concept — or rather, the energy. But first, research. He looked for the door that Trader said holds the library and walked to it.

On the way he thought about what Trader said about testing how the energy works. Infinite -divinity- for practicing creation and change. Monk looked at the door he was walking towards and thought that trying it out now wouldn't hurt. He raised his right arm and, while imagining that something was channeling through his arm, thought of connecting to the door and opening a square hole to look through. He nearly faltered when he did indeed feel something go through his arm and saw a hole appear in the middle of the door as he wanted, though not quite as square as he wanted.

Walking through the door he saw that the hole was very smooth despite being more like a near-amorphous square hole than a window frame. Repeating the feeling he got when manipulating the door, this time he tried to manipulate the material around the hole to go into it as thin as glass was (at least, as he imagined it to be) and tried to change the material into actual glass. It worked, if a little iffy. The glass didn't seem to be as even as it should have been, and some spots where a translucent or opaque white instead of see-through like glass. All in all, he considered it a success for using a power he never had with no training and gut feeling on his first try.

Turning from the back into the library, he considered what he should research. Deciding that learning about what other energies there where and whether he could get them, he gave himself an excuse to find out what the difference between divinity and -Divinity- and get rid of that itch he got whenever he thought of it.

He failed to notice that everyone was watching what he had done.

Writing this feels like I wrote pathetically little (Though I did do this on and off since the 3rd August this year) yet in preview mode this looks like an OK amount. Is nearly 2000 words a good amount for a first chapter?

3