Chapter 1
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It is a cool may morning in the town of Liverpool. The sun high in the sky had been blocked out by the dark grey smoke. The sound of clanking gears can be heard all over the city. The stone streets are filled with people, all with a need to be where they are not. Some wear brown coats with matching pants and vests while sporting a top hat. Others can only afford overalls and a shirt which the original colour was lost to time. She passes by the dark metal buildings, brass pipes, and yellow stained glass. The smell is one of metal and smoke. A smell one eventually gets used to. She wears a thin ivory coloured dress. Her fine brown hair bounces on her shoulders as she walks. Her deep blue eyes flowed through the crowd as she continues to walk. A look of disgust could be found on the people she passes by. However, she notices one man with a warm friendly smile.

“Well good morning Oliver”

“Good, maybe a stretch but a morning it is sure to be”

He is a tall man with a dark complexion. He wears blue overalls and a brown shirt. He appears to be a worker but with the soles of his shoes filed away, one can tell that the streets are his home.

“Now Edith why are you up so early today? If you don’t mind me asking that is.”

“Not at all. Well since I heard that the weather was going to be nice I thought to catch the train and head down to the bakery Le Panier.”

“Ooh, that new French baker. My, what an occasion it must be today.”

“Yes, it’s my husbands third year running the factory on Clemington’s.”

“An occasion it is. Now let's get down to business. Do want just a cleaning or a full wax.”

“Oh just a cleaning today. I’ll be on my feet after all.”

He grabs the rag from his back pocket and bends down. He starts to scrub her shoes with precision and care.

“Oh Oliver you are too kind.”

“It's no worries Edith you always come down to me and because of that today is on the house.”

“Oliver you know I can’t let you do that.”

“Sure you can just keep on walking and to the station and think about the bread you’re about to bring home.”

“Oliver I know you need the money I can’t just walk away like this.”

“There is no use arguing with me you won’t be able to twist my arm.”

“Fine. When I come back I'll bring you some bread. How does that sound.”

“Sounds quite delicious. It does beat eating leftover beans and such.”

“Oh, I might be late. I better be off then. Farewell till later this evening.”

“A good day to you too.”

She continues on her way with a smile on her face.

Edith continues on the stone roads that are covered with dirt and garbage. She always hated going to the train station as the closer you get the worse it got. Quite aways was her concrete house and the warm rugs that were in it. Around her was the cold steel of factories and houses. She only stops for a moment to let a carriage go buy. Pulling the carriage where robotic horses powered by steam. Their brass bodies executed power and strength and in their eyes was a glowing red light. She began to think of the rumors that the horses were watching, always making sure that everyone was well behaved. However, those were what the lowest of Affes believed and they were the most uneducated. She arrived at the train station. The yelling of conductors could be heard even above all the noise from people and machine. As she grabbed her ticket she noticed two men fixing a light glaring at her. They were covered in dust and had clothes with more tears than one could count. Edith quickly turned her head to pay attention to the two-story train that was in front of her. As she got on the train she found her seat. It had a wooden soft red cushion seat for those in first class. Right before the train pulled ahead a man who was clearly dressed foreign stepped on board followed by a darker man who carried his luggage. The black man put the luggage into their proper spots. The man tells the darker man he can go rest now and the darker man replied “Yes Masta” and headed to the back of the train as it started to go. The man sat down at the booth next to Edith, pulled out a pipe and started to relax. The man started eyeing Edith until he eventually started to converse.

“Hello, ma'am my name is George Milton.”

“How do you do.” She replied coldly.

“Well I'm doing quite well and how are you doing miss…”

“Edith Bennet”

“Well Ms. Bennet” He joins her booth.

“I would just like to say that from Dallia, America and out of all the women I have seen, you certainly are one of the prettiest.”

“Well, that is quite flattering Mr. Milton.”

“Listen I'm having dinner at some fancy restaurant at around 5 tonight and I have no one to accompany me and I’d be honored if you were to join me.”

“Well, that is quite a tempting offer I would have to say that my husband would not be too enthused if I were to go to dinner with another man.”

“He he he, well darling that's the beauty of things. Not everything has to be shared”

Edith does not reply.

Milton now moves next to Edith in the booth.

“Listen, Edith, I have a certain way of convincing people, specifically women, to realize when to go have some fun.” He says this as he slowly go farther up her dress. “Now Whaddya say? Dinner. You. Me. 5 o’ clock.

She sharply says. “If you will excuse me, Mr. Milton, I need to use the restroom.”

She goes to the back of the train where she slumps to the floor and weeps.

0