Chapter 9 Dilemma
62 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

January 30, 2028

Alliance of South East Asian Nations(ASEAN)

P-Base Sanctuary, Sector 2

Dojo Of Limitless, Center Of Sector 2

•••••

Night time, the streetlights shine.

As Larry leaves the Dojo of Limitless, he reflects on his conversation with Senpai Jomar as he walks alone.

«There are actually only two paths that suit me,» Larry thought to himself, «One is to enroll in the military academy, graduate, and then join the special forces. Next is to become a famous warrior in the Dojo of Limitless or Dojo Of Atlan and then kill some Superbeast freely.»

«The safest out of these two paths is to enter the army. It's safer and benefits my family. Even if I die, the country would take good care of my loved ones.»

«Becoming a free fighter and living on the border between life and death would increase my strength the fastest. I can exchange the Superbeasts I kill for a huge sum of money. This path…. dangerous. A rapid increase in skill, quick money, free, but the only drawback is the danger.» Larry contemplated. In fact, he has been thinking about this ever since he started his senior year of high school.

«My parents have three children in total and my younger brother is already handicapped. If I become a free fighter and die in battle, how will my parents survive?»

«Lester needs someone to take care of him. Mom and Dad are already quite old. If I die, what will happen to them?»

«Guess I'll enroll in the military academy.»

«After I join the special forces, I'll be able to learn 'Military Combat Arts' which, combined with my 'Ultimate Breathing Arts' that I created using the breathing technique of Dojo of Limitless, it should increase my strength. In the army, I can also train myself! Even if I die, I'll die for the human race, so the alliance would give my parents pension every month.» After thinking about his parents, Larry decided to pick the military academy.

However…..

Not just anybody can enter a military academy. You have to meet certain standards, so everything depends on March's exams.

....

One month before the exams, Larry put almost all of his concentration into reviewing. As he took his practice exams, his confidence started increasing.

«I easily have a 90% chance of getting into  number one military academy in Sector 1»

This was what Larry thought...

One month later.

While Larry attended the last days of classes, the 28th of February arrived in the blink of an eye. Just as the evening self-study session was about to end, the headmaster came in.

"I have something to tell you!"

The headmaster was a bespectacled middle-aged man. "We all know that the Runic Test will begin tomorrow. I believe all of you are looking forward to it, but I would like to remind everyone to not place too much hope in it!"

"The chances of a Runic Champions appearing is 1 out of 200!"

"Hence, for the vast majority of us, the Runic Tests is just a walk. There are also things that you need to do after the test!"

"Besides, walking down the path of Champions and Runic Champions is a path of life and death. It can bring you endless glory, but it is also very dangerous. If you aren't someone who stands at the top and possesses extraordinary talent, there's no need for you to have any sort of lavish hope and give yourself additional worries. It would be better for you to get rid of those thoughts early on and focus on getting into postsecondary specialized colleges!"

His words caused many of the students to slump their heads.

The ones ranked at the top were relaxed, while the ones ranked at the tail end had long since given up on fighting for a chance. Only those ranked at the first to tenth place started talking with each other like Larry.

"And if anyone of you passes the Runic Test, then congrats! You don't have to bother with the upcoming entrance exam, you already have the right to take the Special Champion course."

"And If luck is not on your side, you could still get into a better college so that you can get a job that can guarantee a good life. You just need to enter the exam hall 10 days later, but the academy entrance exam is a whole new concept. You will need to clear three stages, and soon, the first stage that will decide your fates will arrive!"

The Headmaster told everyone that the examination was divided into three gates of hell: the initial test, the second test, and the ultimate practical test.

The first examination will be held in the school. The students will be tested in theoretical knowledge, and there is a limited number of people who could advance to the next stage, so half of the students would be eliminated.

Those who pass the 1st test can go to any college they want, except the Military Academy.  If they want to enter the Military Academy, they have to take the second exam.

The second test will be held the next day in the Military Academy. The students will be tested on their combat and shooting skills, only a few students can pass the 2nd test, and for those who passed will become a full pledge Private Soldier.

The third test is optional, it will be held after the 2nd test, and only the best of the best will take this test.

In this 3rd test, students will be tested on their maximum punching force, hundred-meter dash, and their reaction speed. To pass the test, they will have to achieve the title of 'Prospective Elite Warrior', and no one has ever passed this test in P-Base sanctuary.

"Headmaster, why do they have to make things so complicated for us to get into Military Academy? Can't they make it the same as the tests for postsecondary specialized colleges?" Someone said loathfully.

The student who had spoken continued to grumble.

"This is unfair. Even if my mark in combat and shooting skill isn't that great, it doesn't mean that I won't have an epiphany during a real fight and suddenly reveal my talents…"

"Fair?" When the Headmaster heard him, he frowned and slammed the podium so hard that it jolted. "There has never been fairness in this world. Even before the Apocalypse, the World has never been fair, but now we had to face the invasion of the Superbeasts, are we going to talk about fairness with Superbeast now?"

Every time the Headmaster said a sentence, he smacked the podium with the blackboard eraser. The taps caused everyone's faces to turn solemn.

"Champions and Runic Champions were slowly born among us so that we could survive the danger and hardships. The Champions and Runic Champions stand above us and possess all sorts of special privileges, but all that they enjoy isn't handed to them on a silver platter. They have to use their fists, weapons, and even teeth to snatch them from the Superbeast. This is the greatest 'fairness' you will see!

"I'm telling you. Don't just look at the glory that the Champions and Runic Champions enjoy. You don't know the mortality rate of the Runic Champions and champions in the world. It's five times the number of normal humans. And every year, every invasion of Superbeasts, there is a statistics of the injured and dead. Last year, the statistics for the injured was almost a hundred thousand, and the quota for the dead was tens of thousands. This year, that number was doubled!"

"What?!" the students cried out in shock,

If the statistics for the injured and dead was twice the percentage compared to last year, did that not mean that the world is getting more dangerous?

Larry thought of something. The Alliance must have noticed some clues and realized that the war against Superbeasts was about to become more dangerous. Hence, they needed to train up more superhuman fighters who were stronger, more determined, and even more fearless.

"You understand now, right?" the headmaster asked. "If we filter all of you earlier, we can eliminate the normal people who are not suited to become Champions or Runic Champions. This is our way of being considerate to your lives."

The students' expressions turned dark.

"I'll be honest with you. For my sake, I'd want a lot more of you to get into Military academy and become Runic Champions."

The Headmaster clenched the blackboard eraser and said softly, "But for your life's sake, if your results aren't really that good and you aren't very confident when it comes to your fighting power, I suggest that you don't try to get into Military Academy. I'm being serious here."

The Headmaster's words were sincere, and the students digested the shocking news with pale faces.

But Larry just clenched his fists. Now, more than ever, he desired strength.

"Alright, you are free to go now. And Remember! We only have one goal, and that's the college entrance examination next week! So study harder!" The headmaster clenched his hand at them and said encouragingly.

"Do you understand?"

The headmaster looked at everyone in the class.

"Yes, Sir!"

Everyone answered loudly, but the flame of hope was burning bright in their eyes.

At the end of the day, the students were all a bunch of carefree youths. While they were sighing in the corridors, once they reached the Dojos, everyone became fired up again

Runic Champions were super upper-class folk. Should their Seed awaken during the trials, they could jump up the social ladder and completely change their own fate as well as the fate of their family, even if it's dangerous.

But Who would give up so easily? Everyone understood the logic that if they did not face high risks, they would not get high returns,

«It all depends on tomorrow!»Larry said to himself.

Looking at the eyes of the students in the class, the headmaster sighed. He would say the same thing year after year, and it would always fell on deaf ears.

....

March 9 marks the beginning of Entrance Exams. ASEAN exams go from June 9-12, but we need to take the Runic Test first and awaken our Runic seed.

March 1, early the next morning. The schoolyard was packed, as all of the P-base 1st Senior-Highschool's 2nd years had arrived. According to the rules, the Runic Test and the 1st test of Entrance Exam will take place in this High school.

"Larry, I'm nervous!"

Larry's other best buddy, Jack was particularly nervous. His family background may be extraordinary, but he was easy-going, righteous, and a little bit prideful. He could get along with Bruce and Larry, so their relationship was good.

"Dude, chill. If you're fated to get it, you'll get it. If you aren't, it won't come no matter how much you try!" Larry smiled and comforted him.

Although he said that, he was equally hoping in his heart. Runic Champions will be Dragons among warriors.

It was a moment that would truly determine one's fate, who could stay calm?

"Larry, you're just too steady!" Bruce smiled.

The clock struck eight amidst everyone's uneasiness, the Headmaster, as well as other school faculties, led a group of people up the stage in the schoolyard.

Others carried some machines and placed them on a pre-prepared venue

After he waited for everyone to settle down, the Headmaster looked at the sea of students as he said with a loud voice, "Today is the Runic Test. First, let us all welcome with warm applause, the Vice Governor Of P-Base Sanctuary, Mister Yu Jin-ho and his team!"

[Clap!] [Clap!] [Clap!] [Clap!]

Thunderous applause rang across the field, and all of the students stared eagerly at Yu Jin-Ho as well as the government employees he had brought with him.

In this world, Champions would generally choose to join a force. The force could be the army or a guild, and some chose a Familia...

These organizations, which had gathered many Champions, were the greatest forces of mankind, and they held resources that ordinary people could never reach.

3