Chapter 5
501 6 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once again, the tips of my nerves flared up, and my body shifted once more. This time, instead of ants, it just felt like gas was gently pressing itself against my skin. I suddenly felt lighter than before. As if I had become the air itself. Where the Nephilim made me feel as if I was an apex predator, ready to strike at any moment, this form made me feel as if the air would blow me away in the smallest of gusts. Yet behind that was an unmatched power, like I could feel the universe at the tips of my fingers.

The way I moved was streamlined like I didn’t have muscles, and instead, the air moved my limbs for me. I was fast and graceful. I took a step back and felt like I was near weightless. For a few tense heartbeats, I floated in the air for a few extra seconds before I slowly sank back down. As I was checking out my body, I realized I didn’t need to breathe. All the air that I needed seemed to diffuse through my body. I spun around again and extended my wings out to see how they felt. Just like the rest of me, they felt weightless.

Yes, I like this a lot. I think this is the one that I will keep. I shifted my attention back to the screen and looked at the race overview once more to get a feel for them. The Celestial Nephilim didn’t really have a set gender. In fact, the only gender it had was labeled with a question mark. Which was slightly confusing. I checked out the genetic code to see what I could do, but it didn’t seem to yield too much in the way of information to me.

But while I was here, let’s see what it catered to. I read through the script a bit and saw that it only had affinities for cosmic magic. This species also didn’t need sleep and suffered very little in the way of stamina issues. Physically they were strong since they have Nephilim blood flowing through them. I read it over and weighed the pros and cons, as I tried to figure out what I wanted. The system didn’t really have too much information on them, since they are a brand new species, so really I was taking a bit of a leap of faith. Not that I minded it.

Eventually, however, I decided it was best to just take this race. I would make it work, and I would be unique enough. I confirmed my choice and my screen flickered. Good, I just knocked off two things off of my to-do list. Now all I needed to do was select a class and create a system companion. I would make one after I finished with my class, however. I wanted all of this to be my choice, after all.

I backed out of the screen I was in and quickly found my way back to the class selection screen. After the system finished compiling its recommended classes for me, I read through it. From the looks of it, they split everything into a few specific archetypes. For me, I had access to only three: The Mage, the marksman, and The Warrior. As I stared at the screen, I quickly tried to figure out what would best suit me.

As a Celestial Nephilim, I had access to cosmic magic, which already seemed really cool. But before I went in and saw what I could do with magic, I should at least see what the other stuff offered. I clicked on the Marksman and read through some of the class examples.

Cosmic Gun Slinger: This class uses a combination of cosmic magic and firearms to deliver punishing strikes with pinpoint accuracy. This class has access to up to one starting weapon type, and one catalyst.

Starting weapons: Pistol, Dual Pistols, Revolver, S.M.G, Assault Rifle, Rifle, Machine Gun,

Starting Catalysts: Fragment of an Ancient Red Dwarf, Fragment of an Ancient Blackhole, Fragment of an Ancient Planet, Fragment of an Ancient Neutron star.

Cosmic Hunter: Using the bow to channel the power of the cosmos to unleash blows that can rend apart the fabric of the universe.

 

So this only came with two specific classes. The first being a cosmic gunslinger, which looks like it would be a hell of a lot of fun. The other was just a cosmic hunter, which used the bow. Even though they both looked like they were a lot of fun, but I don’t think that they would be for me. I backed out of the screen and went to the Warrior classes.

Guardian of the Stars: Using the power of the stars, you can enhance your strength. With powerful blows, you emanate star fire that threatens to consume all that stands before you.

Star Blade: Your weapons are cast with the power of the stars, amplifying your strikes based on the star variant you select.

Cosmic Blade: A blend between a cosmic mage and swordsman. All the celestial bodies bend before your will as you leave a trail of havoc in your wake.

Celestial Brawler: The energy of the cosmos flows through your veins, enhancing all your traits.

I eyed through the list and felt disappointed more than anything. I felt like there would be more, but I guess that is to be expected, with a new race. But of course, these were just the recommended classes. I don’t think I really want to take the time and scroll through everything and pick. Oh well, I guess I will just check out the mage tree and see what it offers. I backed out and clicked on the last option.

Cosmic Mage: At your fingertips lies the power of the universe. Stars bend to your will and planets crack before your strength.

Gravity Mage: Gravity bows to your whim, and with it, everyone else.

Quantum Manipulator**: An esoteric form of magic that lets you manipulate the very fabric of the universe. With a thought, you can alter anything, and all magic is yours to command.

**Because of the strength of this magic, there is no scaling or evolutions. Instead, you are limited by personal knowledge. This is also a race exclusive class, and if you are slain, or publish this class on the system index, then this class will be made public.

I read through the small list, and as my eyes reached the last part of it. Wait, there was a class that would let me manipulate anything and everything? As I read further on, I saw I would be limited by personal knowledge. So this class would only be as strong as I would be smart? I nodded my head and thought it over. Would I be willing to lose scaling over having a powerful class?

I could just ignore it and move on with my life. Even so, the idea was tantalizing. All I had to do was just learn? I tilted my head and stared at the screen as I came to the only logical conclusion. I would take this class. With a quick gesture, I confirmed the class without a second thought and dismissed my screen.

I clenched my fist and stared at it for a moment. I didn’t really feel all that different. But I would work on that later. For now, I needed to work on creating a system companion. One that would guide me through this new world. I shifted all the menus and quickly found the companion creation tab.

I clicked it and was greeted by a new screen.

Welcome to the companion creation screen!

The role of the system companion is simple. They are an entity that is gifted with knowledge of the system. They will act as your closest confidant, and as a second in command. As with all entities created by your paths of power, they are immortal and can be respawned if they are slain. You can either create a being from scratch or ascend a random being of your choosing.

Create

Ascend

I bobbed my head as I quickly skimmed the text. So I can either handcraft one or ascend one? I bounced between the two since I was unsure of what to do. I don’t think I was in the mood for handcrafting one, so what if I ascended someone? Out of curiosity, I clicked on ascend, and another menu came up, asking if I wanted to choose a random race or the races in my template inventory. Well, I much rather not have a random being, so I would go with what was in my inventory. I confirmed my choice, and the darkness that surrounded me quickly vanished.

All around me, the walls lit up in a dazzling display of lights as they rushed around me. The inky darkness quickly faded into a sea blue sky. Large cotton balls formed in the air as a giant star appeared in the center of the sky. A large dirt road was quickly formed by small moats of brown energy as it rained from the sky in a steady torrent. Buildings rose from the ground in a pixilated display of light as the world was created from nothing.

The deafening silence vanished, only to be replaced by the ambient murmur of hundreds of people as the world was coming together. I glanced around and saw that I was now standing in a forum full of various beings. Small merchant stands dotted the area, and sat on a road that split three other ways with hulking dragonkin that stood at the entrance watching the crowd. Humans were talking amongst goblins. So, I had to choose someone to ascend? This would interesting to do. I just had to figure out the best way to choose them.

But what was I looking for in a companion? I took a few steps forward as I walked down the small road. Dozens of small vendors lined the streets, and the throng of people only seemed to grow all the thicker as I made my way through them. Maybe I should figure out what I wanted first before I looked around.

 

22