The Snow Rabbit
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With Lynx’s directions and Ryock’s guidance, they made it to the inn in a short time. The aromas of freshly baked bread, piping hot stews, and the warm scent of alcohol mingled on the air with cordial conversation by the handful of patrons in the Snow Rabbit.

“Lady Anjali! It’s so good to see you!” Vale, the inn’s barmaid and co-owner, greeted her cheerfully. “And a gentleman with you? My, my!”

Lynx’s fingers fidgeted behind her back. “L-lady Vale, it has been a long time. May we please have a table?”

“Of course, love.” Vale approached and lay a gentle hand on her shoulder. “Come this way, dear.”

She led them around a grouping of tables to a seating in the far back corner, away from the wandering eyes and questioning glances. Even if she couldn’t see them, Lynx knew they were there.

“Here you are. I’ll be back in a moment!” Vale excused herself, leaving the pair alone.

Ryock peered around the room, noting the interested stares of the others in the inn. “Why do they look at you like that?”

Lynx wished she could say she was ignorant to the thoughts of the people in her village, but she knew better. “Magic is a lost art in Analyn,” she explained slowly. “One that was exclusive to the male persuasion. I am… different.”

Ryock tapped one finger against the wooden table in an even rhythm. “But didn’t Orlando say you saved this place?”

She nodded. “Yes, I did.”

“Then they should regard you with reverence. Not suspicion.”

Lynx flinched. “It is not up to me in what regard they hold me. I can only do my best.”

“Humans are so damn ungrateful,” Ryock grumbled.

“Humans?” Lynx asked curiously. It was an interesting choice of words—it would have been much easier to say ‘people.’ Yet, no one around them had regarded him as anything else.

“Oh, hmm.” The tapping became more insistent. “I guess that was a weird thing to say.”

There was something he wasn’t telling her, but she didn’t feel comfortable pushing it.

Vale placed two tankards of ale on their table and rubbed her hands together. “Alright, my dears, what can I get for you?”

“I’ll have vegetable soup, and he’ll have the meat pie, please,” Lynx replied, hoping Ryock wasn’t too picky of an eater.

“Of course, my lady. I’ll be back soon.” Vale nodded and left them alone.

“I ordered for you. I hope that’s okay.” Lynx took a sip from the mug. The acidity tickled her tongue and warmed her throat.

“But you don’t know what I eat.”

Lynx pulled her hair over her shoulder and took another drink. “I should have asked. I’m sorry.”

Ryock sighed. “No, it’s okay. I’m sure it’ll be fine.”

They drank in silence, listening to the drifting discussions of the other customers.

“May I ask you a few questions?” Lynx chanced, hoping she wouldn’t offend him.

“Sure.”

All of his answers were so curt and formal. She wondered if he ever allowed his guard to fall. “What is the name of your world?”

“Embryl.”

“How did you arrive in Analyn?”

“It’s difficult to explain.”

“Can…can you try?” Lynx asked as sensitively as she could muster. She’d kept her curiosity at bay since he’d arrived and felt at an extreme disadvantage knowing so little about him.

Ryock took another drink from his tankard. “It’s through my magic—I can feel when a world has been infected with Drive. However, there has to be a certain alignment to my world and the infected one before I can travel there successfully.”

“So then, you are an arcane specialist as well.”

“Yes.”

“You’re right. That is difficult,” Lynx said.

Ryock leaned an elbow on the table and rested his chin on his palm. “That’s why I don’t usually try to explain.”

“No! No, please. I want to hear more.”

“Alright,” Ryock relented. “Once there’s a promising alignment of Embryl and the world I wish to travel to, I can open a…door of sorts. That’s our gateway.”

“You said you usually travel with companions?” Lynx recalled their conversation from earlier in the afternoon.

“Yes. There are three others that accompany me. But I couldn’t find them after I’d arrived here.”

“What do you think happened?”

“I don’t know,” Ryock admitted. “We’ve never been separated before.”

“How many times have you done this?” Lynx’s fingers wrapped tightly around her goblet. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d been so enraptured by a story.

“Well…” Ryock paused and frowned. “This is the third time.”

“Perhaps they are in another city? If this is the first time you’ve ever had this problem, I’m sure they’re safe!” Lynx insisted, understanding she knew little of his magic.

“I sincerely hope you’re right.”

Lynx’s cheeks puffed, and she gripped her goblet tighter. “I know it. Your friends are safe, and you will find them in due time.” Realizing the ale was beginning to have an effect on her emotions, she leaned back in her chair, embarrassed. “I speak out of turn.”

Ryock chuckled. “No. Your outlook… it’s refreshing.”

Lynx smiled into her goblet as she finished the last of her ale. Vale returned shortly after with their food and a refill of drinks.

“Your magic. How does it work?” Ryock asked suddenly between bites of his meal.

“What do you mean?” There were too many ways to answer his query. Lynx had difficulty explaining how exactly she healed others.

“You said it’s restorative, like how you healed the flower. But is it targeted? Do you just pour magic into someone and hope it works?”

“Ah. Hmm, how do I explain.” Lynx circled the top of her goblet with her fingertip as she considered it. “I believe ‘targeted’ is a good word. When I touch someone, I can read them, in a way. But it’s more like I can feel what I seek. I know how a healthy body should feel, and any inconsistencies present themselves immediately.”

“So, you know where someone is having trouble?”

“Sometimes. For example, a fractured bone or surface wound. However, if it is a case like Saara, I feel her pain everywhere.

“Wait. Does that mean it hurts you, then?”

Lynx nodded. They were approaching territory she hadn’t discussed with anyone beyond Orlando. “One of my abilities is to take on the pain of others, so they do not experience it so severely.”

Ryock shook his head. “Why?”

“When you see someone suffering, do you not wish to shoulder some of their burdens? If even just a small amount?”

He was silent.

Perhaps it was liquid courage, but Lynx felt emboldened. “I cannot stand idly by while those around me endure solitary agony. Every life is sacred, and if there is something I can do to help, I will do it.” She folded her hands in her lap. “After all, how can I weigh my own life and comfort against those of so many?” How could she have said that to him? And yet, she couldn’t bring herself to apologize.

“I… That’s not…” Ryock sighed but didn’t finish his thought.

Lynx pushed down the unease in her chest and sipped at her bowl of soup.

“You were right, you know,” Ryock said.

“Hmm?”

“This meal is delicious.”

“I’m so glad you like it!” The tension in her shoulders eased, and she grinned. “It has been a long time since I’ve dined with a friend.”

“Your company makes this all a lot easier,” Ryock replied, seeming to think on every word before he said it.

Lynx’s heart sped, and she hid her face behind her bowl.

“Did I say something wrong?”

“No.” Stirrings in her heart she hadn’t experienced in years summoned butterflies to her stomach. “Thank you.”

“Mmhmm.”

She grasped for another subject. “Once you’re finished, I’ll show you to where you’re staying?”

“Alright.”

Lynx did her best to relax in her chair and ignore the goosebumps playing on her arms. Alcohol and fatigue, that was all.

---

Thank you for reading! For early access to posted chapters, blogs, and more, check out my Patreon: www.patreon.com/whispersfromcat

0