Puff and Jackie
42 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

         

 There were once legends, of fierce knights that fought in great battles, of girls that met their prince, of boys who grew gigantic stalks from beans. But have you ever heard of the mighty dragon? The dragon soared in the skies and protected the kingdoms far and wide. Legend says that the dragon could move the sea and split the sky in his command. These legends have travelled far and wide throughout the world, but still, “Legends were legends” they said.

.

.

.

            The silent cave echoed with the harsh panting of a small boy, he ran fast into the cave. If you looked closer, you could see that he was carrying various coloured strings and dolls. There was also a toy castle, pieces of paper, as well as sealing wax. The boy climbed up and walked deeper into the cave until suddenly, lights appeared in the distance. A look of immense happiness showed on the boy’s face and he started running. Once he got to the end of the cave, there was a big room with a very tall ceiling. There was also piles of gold and treasure everywhere but that wasn’t what the little boy was looking at, the boy looked at the centre of the room and one can see a gigantic dragon, with beautiful, shimmering green scales that danced with the lights.

            The boy’s face could be clearly seen now, he had red hair and emerald-green eyes, his expression showed excitement. It’s been so long since the boy could play with his friend. The boy ran up to the dragons’ snout and started to push it, “Puff, wake up! Wake up, I have presents for you!” The boy was about to kick the snout when the dragon opened one eye. It was slightly misted over and was the most beautiful shade of blue. The dragon, Puff, saw the boy and let out a huff of amusement as he raised his mighty head. The boy pouted at the clear amusement in his friends' eyes. Puff nodded his head at his friend, a little boy who the little villagers called, Jackie Paper.

.

.

.

“Puff, the magic dragon, Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah -Lee.
Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal Puff
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff”

.

.

.

              “Puff, look at all the things I bought this time!” Jackie said as he started to show Puff the presents that he brought. Puff looked at the crudely made dolls made of string and couldn’t stop his heart from feeling warm, fondness showing on his expression. The little boy made all of this for him. Puff nosed his snout at the boy’s hair, careful not to injure him. Jackie laughed high and clear and hugged the snout of his best friend. “Do you want to fly? I want to take you somewhere.” Puff told Jackie. Jackie’s eyes widened as he excitedly asked while jumping around, “Can I Puff?! Can I?! Oh, I would love to puff! Please!” Puff chuckled at the boy’s eagerness and lowered himself flat into the ground, giving Jackie a chance to climb his back. Once Puff made sure that Jackie won’t fall off his back, he flew out of the cave and into the sky, Jackie screaming and laughing all the way. They flew and flew until they could see the big wide ocean. Puff looked over his shoulder and saw Jackie looking at the sea with misted eyes, filled with longing and amazement. Puff pointed to the small dots that littered the ocean and said to Jackie, “Boats.” Jackie looked down and saw huge cargo ships that belonged to various kingdoms, he sighed in amazement. But then he noticed smoke coming from one of the boats, he then noticed the other boat that was near it, it had black flag pirates!

                   Jackie pointed at it at said to Puff, slightly panicking, “Puff, look! Pirates are attacking that ship! Puff look, look!” Puff saw the black flag that was proudly flying from the ships’ pole. He let out an annoyed breath and suddenly, he roared! Puff roared, surprising Jackie and scaring the pirates. Once they saw the feared Western dragon flying towards them, they immediately retreated and lowered their flags. The people on board saw their saviour and rejoiced. As Puff landed softly on the deck, the king and his family went out from where they were hiding, “Oh mighty dragon thank you for saving me and my family. We are forever in your debt.” They were about to bow but Puff stopped them and motioned for Jackie to get off his back. They were confused about why the dragon stopped them but they were completely shocked when a boy slid down the dragons’ back. They looked at each other with incredulous expressions, ‘the dragon became a Saraphax?!’ “You should also thank little Jackie over here, he saw you first after all,” Puff said while shooting a proud look toward Jackie’s direction. The royals snapped out of their daze and finally bowed down to the two of them.

                Jackie blushed as the royals bowed to them and expressed their gratitude. Jackie wanted to go behind Puff but Puff gently pushed him forward. Jackie looked up, confused. Puff nodded in the royals’ expression and motioned for the boy to say ‘you’re welcome. Jackie’s eyes widened at the realization and bowed, face blushing he said, “I-It was no-nothing! I jus-st di-did what was ri-right.” The royals raised their heads and looked at each other before bursting out in laughter, “What a sweet Paraphax you have there, My lord” Jackie looked at Puff, confused about what a Paraphax was, but Puff just shook his head and let out a huff of laughter, “Indeed. I am lucky, the little boy is so sweet.” Jackie blushed at the compliment as the royals laughed heartily. Soon, Puff and Jackie needed to go home and said their goodbyes to the people on the boat. Unknowingly, the two people were thinking of the same thing as they flew back home. ‘I wish it will always be like this.’

.

.

.

“Together they would travel on a boat with billowed sail,

Jackie kept a lookout perched on Puffs gigantic tail.

Noble kings and princes would bow whene’er they came

Pirate ships would lower their flags when Puff roared out his name”

.

.

.

It’s been 3 months since Jackie last appeared in Puff’s cave. As each day pass, Puff grew more and more worried and was restless. The dragon paced around his cave as the frown on his face grew deeper. Puff knew it was bound to happen. After all, it’s been 9 years since he became Jackie’s Saraphax and it was already long. Usually, children only stayed with their Saraphax for 2 years before forgetting them. Puff stopped and his shoulders slumped. He knew this day would come so why? Just why did he have to get attached?! It was stupid to hope that Jackie would never leave him. After all, children grew up and made friends, they wouldn’t need their Saraphax’ anymore. Suddenly Puff felt all the energy drain from him. Jackie forgot about him. At the realization, his eyes dimmed. He no longer had a Paraphax and he was alone, again. Tears welled up in Puff’s eyes. He was always left behind, why? What did Puff do wrong?

.

.

.

15-year old Jackie had just bought a ticket to take the train and was about to go inside when he looked back. ‘Strange. Did I forget something?’ He stood there motionless for a while feeling like he left something behind, but what?’ He didn’t have anything left so what was it? He had a feeling that it was important. He only snapped out of it when he heard the train whistle. He hurriedly picked up his bag and boarded the train. As he sat he looked out the window silently. A young woman entered the compartment that he was in yet Jackie took no notice and only continued to stare outside. He felt the young woman tap his shoulder and looked back at her questioningly. She held out a handkerchief and smiled, “For you.” Jackie took the handkerchief and noticed that tears were continuously streaming down his face. He looked at the handkerchief and burst into tears, ‘I’m sorry, I forgot’

.

.

.

“A dragon lives forever but not so little boys
Painted wings and giant rings make way for other toys
One grey night it happened Jackie Paper came no more
And Puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar”

“His head was bent in sorrow; green scales fell like rain
Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane
Without his lifelong friend, Puff could not be brave
So Puff that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave”

.

.

.

0