Ch 4 – Why can’t I be your friend?
167 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ding!

Ding!

Ding!

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Din-

"WHO THE HELL IS RINGING MY DOOR AT THIS HOUR!?"

I yanked the door open with my knife ready by my side, and a beautiful black-haired girl stood at the doorframe.

"...My bad feeling came true..."

"What was that? Come on, you get to go to school with a beautiful young girl you know?"

"No, the problem is the fact that our classmates are going to misunderstand and spread rumours you know?"

"...That's true. It's annoying to get such gazes."

"So you do get it. Also why the hell are you ringing my door at 6 o'clock?"

"Cause I felt like it."

"HUUUUHHH!? Oi you shitty woman- don't ring my doorbell for such a horseshit reason alright?"

"Whatever, let's just go to school together!"

"Did you even listen to even a bit of my words...?"

"Come on it'll be fine!"

"No, it won't you idiot..."

"Oh look I have this tweet- Hmm? Kamishiro Yoshikawa-kun tried to pull a blade on me when I didn't comply with his 'demands?' Damn I guess I got to tweet this ou-"

"OKAY!!! Okay, I'll come with you..."

"Yay~"

"Damn you shitty woman..."

And so, I took a shower, ate some breakfast, before changing uniform and then heading out the front door, where Ogawa was waiting. 

"What took you so long?"

"Stuff."

Off we went. As we got closer to school, I could now start to feel the piercing gazes from the students as we walked. 

I whispered to Ogawa, as the male students all glared at me.

"...Are you really sure that you're fine with this?"

"Yes, I am."

I sighed. As we slid open the classroom door, all the classmates immediately snapped their heads towards our direction.

As we sat down in our seats, Taiki, in front of me, immediately got to investigating.

He grinned.

"Yoooo, Kamishiro, what's up with you?"

"What do you mean?"

"I heard that you went home with Mrs Queen over here?"

"Don't know what you mean."

He then flicked my forehead. 

"Ow! What the hell man?"

"Oi, you know that basically the whole school knows about you two walking together?"

"Huh!? The whole school? Why?"

"...You do realise that you went home with the most beautiful person in the entire school?"

"...What."

"She's known as the 'Unattainable Flower' you know? Rumours says that she's already been confessed to in the triple digits!"

(...Isn't that something right out of a manga though...)
{Author's Note: Oi you fucking bastard, I'm pretty sure that you're out of a manga too you dumbass}

I turned my head back to Ogawa. For some reason, she had a smug look on her face. I could only gape my mouth open in admiration. 

(How can this girl be so shameless....)

"What can you even ask of such a girl? Beautiful, proper, mature, top academic marks, and popular with both girls and boys!"

(HAH!? Mature my ass- This cheeky ass woman is nothing of what you described! She- She's the DEVIL man...)

I shivered as Ogawa could ruin my quiet school life at any moment.

Suddenly, the classroom door once again slammed open, where a blonde-haired girl charged towards Ogawa. She was the very definition of a "gyaru." Flashy wavy long hair, painted shimmering nails with cute designs on them, with light makeup and a shortened skirt, way above the knee level. 

(Can she even do that...?)

She then bursted into tears. Crocodile tears.

"REEEEIIINNNNAAAAA~~~ Why do I hear a rumour about you going home with a boy!?"

Ogawa waved her hands as she shook her head, somewhat in a panic.

"Reina! Does that you mean that you finally have an interest in men? Yay~"

"No I don't!"

She quickly denied it. Surprising how flustered she had become, compared to when she was with me.

"Come on, you can tell your good ol' buddy you know? I'll keep it a secret~"

She winked at Reina, as she held a finger in front of her lips. She was the exact opposite of Reina- Appearance wise anyways, but I saw striking similarities with how Reina acted towards me when we were walking home together. 

(They're friends? I guess it kinda makes sense.)

"Come on, Mei, you know that'll never happen."

"Eh~ Such a bummer~"

As they continued to banter, I turned my head back to Taiki, who held a massive grin as he laid on his hand on the table. 

"This is your fault you know."

"Huh?"

"Cause of YOU! You have club activities so now I have to go together with this shitty woman..."

The edges of his mouth curved upwards even more, as he gave me a mischievous smile.

"You just admitted that you went home with her."

"...AHHHH!!!"

(I'm a god damn idiot! How can I be a hitman and fall for such petty tricks? I'm losing my edge, I swear...)

"...She was just interested in the book I was reading. She asked me to bring her to the library and she also asked for recommendation."

"Sure you did...."

He laughed as he slapped me in the back multiple times.

(This guy 100% doesn't believe me...)

I tried to avoid Ogawa the entire week. I didn't want more rumours to spread, so I would always leave first and go home by myself, as I tried to hide from her. But she would always be there, waiting for me beside my locker. I couldn't escape her no matter how hard I tried. It was harder to run away from her, than the people in the underworld. Like how?

At the end of the day of the week, she was already there, waiting beside my locker. Without my bag, I couldn't go home, so I sighed and walked towards her. 

She tilted her head, caught my face, and then smiled brilliantly.

"Hey~"

"Why are you so persistent?"

"Cause we're friends you know?"

"Even then, that isn't a reason to follow me everywhere you know? Including the fact that we go home together."

"Like I said, I'm intrigued."

That was the last straw. I couldn't hold back anymore.

"Well you shouldn't. Don't follow me anymore."

"Huh?"

She seemed startled when I growled in a low voice.

"We live in different worlds, just like you and I said once. You're a beautiful, prim and proper mature girl, the 'Unattainable Flower,' whereas over here, I'm just normal. I'm an average person, with no redeeming qualities, with the most average face that you can find anywhere in Japan, with average grades and physical abilities. So stop pretending that we're friends. Cause we're not."

"..."

She stood there silently, with her head down. It reminded me of the first time she confronted me. 

"You know what the rumours are like? Apparently, I'm forcing you into a relationship you don't like."

"...! No that's not tr-" Ogawa flicked her head upwards.

"I mean its normal right? I look so fucking ordinary, that everything just makes sense. Why would the most beautiful girl in the entire school go home with me? It just doesn't make sense. Whereas it would make sense if I was instead forcing you to go home with me. Coupled with the fact that you could just release a statement that I held a blade next to your neck, my quiet school life is over."

"I don't care about that-"

"You sure as hell don't, but the classmates think either wise. What are you going to tell them? That you're just intrigued and you're following me? Bullshit. You know that they're not going to believe you."

I continued with my rant, as Ogawa stared at the floor.

"I'm a bonafide mob. Something that melts in the background. Something there to just add to the scenery. And I know that. I want that. But you on the other hand, you can't. Do you think I feel sad that I'm putting myself down, that I'm the most average of the average? No, I don't. Because that was always what I was. Just a mob."

Perhaps overflowing with negative emotions, a tear soon fell the side of her soft cheeks. She clenched her fists and pursed her lip. I took a step back. I wasn't ready for her to suddenly cry.  I widened my eyes as she lifted her head, showing the somewhat angry glare as her face turned red.

(Why?)

"...You idiot."

"Huh?"

"Why are you such an ignorant fool? All I want is for us to be friends. You know how fun it is just teasing you and walking home together, just making small talk as we reach our apartment? Sure, I was intrigued at first, but now it's just fun talking to you. Is that really wrong for me to do so?"

"Uh- wait-"

"This past week was fun. Extremely fun. But before that, a month ago, you were always just interesting."

"Eh?"

"Whatever- you don't need to know."

More tears started to roll down her cheeks. I couldn't handle it any longer, I couldn't stand her crying in front of me, especially if it was because of me. So I surrendered and gave up. I sighed.

"...No, its fine."

She immediately loosened up, as she gazed intensely at me, expecting something.

I scratched the back of my head, as I felt my face getting hotter. I stutttered.

(Why is it so hard to get these words out?)

"Its- its- AH WHATEVER!!! We're friends... Yes, I just said we're friends- you got a problem with that?"

She widened her eyes, as she broke into a charming smile. I averted my eyes.

"No! Of course we're friends!"

The day ended with a massive argument, but somehow, it got resolved, and I felt slightly closer to Ogawa than I ever had been before. And recently, she was getting easier to talk to, just like a friend.

8