Disappointment
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aster called the palace doctor to treat Jain’s wounds. His suit was stripped off and obvious wounds on the abdomen and stomach made Aster held his breath. The doctor, assisted by two nurses, quickly did a small operation for few hours until Jain was breathing normally. He was bandaged all over his body and the doctor said to Aster, “Young Lord, this man’s wound was deep, but wasn’t fatal enough to kill him. He must be exhausted, I will give him medicine for his recovery.”

            “Yes, thank you. I will give you a bonus later,” Young Lord said solemnly. The doctor nodded, he glanced at this butler whose wound wasn’t exactly a normal wound, it was from a knife, and it was obvious that he tried to dodge the knife from hitting his vital parts. There was a question in the doctor’s head, but he dared not to ask Young Lord about it.

            Thus, the doctor lowered his head and excused himself. Aster was sitting on the edge of the bed, he was in Jain’s room right now. There was a guilt in Aster’s heart, because Jain was heavily wounded after protecting him.

            ‘It is his job, but he shouldn’t be fighting Charles’ guards alone,’ Aster blamed himself for being weak, because he didn’t have the strength to push Charles, nor he has the power to suppress Charles. In fact, with Charles returned from his almost two years campaign, meant that the political sphere in Golden Camellia would be in turmoil again.

            Aster bit his lips, he thought everything would go smoothly, because he predicted that Charles would return in about half a year, but he returned earlier than he expected.

            He couldn’t do anything against Charles right now. Even the previous situation, he couldn’t use it for his benefit. He had to clean up the mess, he ordered other guards to take away the two guards who died from Charles’ ruthlessness and ordered the head servant to compensate each guard by giving their family a hundred gold coins.

            It was already four in the morning and he hadn’t sleep at all even after the banquet had ended.

            Aster checked Jain who was sleeping soundly, the doctor said what he needed was rest and proper nutrition. Aster had ordered two guards to protect Jain’s room, and he also ordered the servants to deliver his food daily.

            Aster stood from the edge of the bed, he looked around Jain’s room. He felt a bit ashamed because he just entered someone’s room without his permission, even if that person was his own subordinate. Jain’s room wasn’t particularly special, wooden desk, wardrobe and a wooden bed for him, just like the what was given to all servants here.

            When Aster was about to leave, his eyes darted on the desk and saw a small painting in a beautiful frame. Aster felt like the painting was familiar. He checked the painting and inspected it carefully. It was a painting of a baby boy, probably a one-year old baby. He already had strands of hair and he was exceptionally beautiful for a baby. However, what made him intrigued was the eyes of the baby.

            ‘It’s… similar to my eyes…’ Aster knew that his family had unique eyes, deep blue eyes with golden circle around the pupil. It was exceptionally beautiful, yet intimidating at the same time.

            Aster inspected this photo again, and the more he thought about it, the more he realized that this baby must be important for Jain. Since he kept the small painting in a frame and there was not even a speck of dust in the painting.

            ‘Is this… Charles? No, that wouldn’t be.’

            ‘Is this… me?’ Aster started doubting himself. But he shook his head.

            ‘That can’t be me. Jain had only known me for two years, how could he have my baby painting? If this is one year old me, he should be around thirteen years old back then, there is no way he would know about me.’

            Aster shook off that ridiculous thought in his head. He stared at Jain once more before leaving the room. He returned back to his room, extremely tired, but he didn’t want to sleep. He ordered the servants to prepare a warm bath for him, he took off his shirt and looked in the mirror.

            His skin was still smooth, but when he saw bitemarks in various places around his neck and upper chest, he was inescapably disgusted.

            These bitemarks were so deep and red, it was obvious that the one who did it was extremely passionate.

            ‘Why couldn’t I protect myself? Why couldn’t I resist!?’

            ‘It’s disgusting! I’m disgusting!’

            “ARGH!!” Aster roared and kicked the mirror until it fell and shattered.

            ‘What is wrong with me! I let myself being taken!’

            ‘I…’

            Aster tried to hold in his tears, he jumped into the warm bath and dipped his head inside the bathtub, then he emerged again with red eyes. The sound of low sobs filled the bathroom as Aster wiped his tears again and again.

            ‘This is the worst…’

***

            Aster attended the lunch with his mother reluctantly. He was asleep for the whole morning, yet he kept waking up every hour because he was afraid that Charles would return. His mother had been waiting in the dining table.

            “Good afternoon, my son,” Grand Duchess greeted happily.

            “Good… afternoon, mom…” Aster replied weakly.

            “Hm? What happened? Why do you look so down? I thought the banquet yesterday was a success,” Grand Duchess asked.

            “It’s… nothing,” Aster lowered his head and ate like normal.

            But Grand Duchess realized that something was wrong. She put down her utensils and cupped her hands, “Aster, tell me. What happened? I also didn’t see you during the whole banquet.”

            “I—” Aster stopped eating. He tried to collect his composure, so he wouldn’t tell everything to his mother. He didn’t want to make her worried, “Mom, did you see Charles yesterday?”

            “Charles? I did saw him going inside the palace, did you meet him? He said he really missed you,” Grand Duchess said.

            “Did you… let him in?”

            “Yes, of course. He is your cousin anyway,” Grand Duchess smiled. “You need to have a good connection to everyone, you should also know when suppress your feeling. So, even if you don’t like to see other people near you, you should be used to it.”

            ‘She doesn’t know, mom doesn’t know what Charles did to me!’ Aster clenched his fist under the table. Grand Duchess continued eating her lunch leisurely.

            “What did you do yesterday, my son? Did you talk to a noble privately? I usually saw you with that slave, but I saw him walking around the garden with that young singer for hours, do they know each other?”

            Aster’s head suddenly raised. He looked in disbelief, “He was walking around in the garden for hours with Merry?”

            “Ah, I just remembered that her name is Merry,” Grand Duchess laughed heartily, “Hm? I thought you were the one who sent him off duty, since you want to talk to another noble privately.”

            Grand Duchess’ expression looked puzzled, she frowned a bit, “But I saw him for hours in the garden, and even watching that girl singing for the whole banquet. How could a personal slave able to do that if you are not the one who allowed him? You are the master, my son, don’t be too softhearted on them.”

            Aster stood up immediately and said, “I’m leaving first, mom. I have something to do.”

            “I really want to spend more time with you, but I understand,” Grand Duchess smiled. Aster left the dining room, and Grand Duchess’ smile turned into smirk, “As expected.”

Announcement

Hi~ ForeverPupa here!
OmO Something would happen soon!
Stay tuned, because the next chapter will be on monday, aka tomorrow
T_T Author um... was playing a game too much, so I forgot to write, but no worries, I will still fill the weekly quota!
Thanks for reading! and please comment! Author reads all of your comments, hehe~

PS: Next two chapters tomorrow night~ Stay tuned~

1