Chapter Seven: Aspen
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So did ya find her yet?" Saron said as he strutted into the room. The door clicked behind him.

"Yes Saron, I did check for spy holes, good of you to ask before you say something."

"Don't pretend there was even a chance you didn't check the moment you got in here, now answer the question." Saron was seated at the carved wooden table which was covered in an assortment of scrolls and books and documents.

"Yes." he said flatly, giving no further explanation, "What are you looking at?" he said motioning at the papers scattered across the table.

"Wow, that was fast. These are just some documents about hospitality customs in Galcinar. Okay, how did training go?"

"She surprised me." He deadpanned.

"Nothing ever surprises you Aspen, what did she do?" he gave a huff of irritation at the amused smile on Saron's face.

"She didn't do anything that surprised me." Saron gave a long suffering sigh but Aspen rolled his eyes.

"Then why were you surprised, Aspen?" He passed in front of the unlit hearth grinding his teeth.

"Because I found Anatia Nalcothy in the rooms of the king's blade." He said tightly, irritation lacing his voice. Why didn't Aine tell him, he doubted she didn't know. Aine had eyes and ears everywhere, and if she had any interest in Anatia Nalcothy she would have already had eyes on the girl long before she sent out him and Saron.

"What do you mean?" a cautious confusion entered Saron's voice and a weary look came to his eyes.

"I mean they're the same person." Saron's brows furrowed but he seemed to understand.

"Do you think the king knows?" Aspen walked over and sat across from him at the table picking up one of the papers and glancing at the title. A History of Galcinian Hospitality.

"Yes, but I want to know why Aine didn't see fit to tell us who we were really looking for."

"I don't know Aspen, but this makes everything a lot harder. How do we bring Cinis Sarnifeace to Aine and leave on good terms. I might not have finished reading all of these," he gestured to the rest of the papers on the table, "but I think even in Galcinar it's considered rude to kidnap your host's attack dog."

"Well I doubt he would let her go to Aine willingly if he knew." he set down the document tapping his finger restlessly on the table. He wasn't normally so anxious, most immortals weren't. What was the point in being impatient when you have an infinite supply of time. It all comes eventually. But when dealing with mortals the attitude of we're running out of time often wears off on them. That or the fact that dealing with immortals gives you a limited amount of time to do something, as they won't be around forever. That was one of the many reasons he disliked working with or around mortals.

"So how do we get her to Aine?" Aine had told them not to leave the kingdom on poor terms but how could they do that and bring Anatia Nalcothy to Rosshiem?

"I don't know, but we'll have to find out."

Announcement
This is another one of those occasions where someone other than the main three (I know Lythian has only gotten one chapter so far but she gets a lot more eventually) has the pov. As always please comment your critiques of my work and any advice you have for the plot/characters/dialogue etc.

 

2