Chapter Seven: Dinner and a Question
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Chapter Seven: Dinner and a Question

~ Marie ~

They stepped off the elevator and joined a line that led to a set of open double doors. 

[I thought we could try something different.] The line was long but it moved quickly. Once they reached the front, She could see through the doors and into a large dining room. People sat around covered tables, eating and talking. The light in the room was dim but it was probably so that people could look out the large glass windows that took up an entire wall and showed a clear picture of the night sky. Soon it was their turn. 

Marie followed Adrian to their seats. He held her chair out for her then pushed it in once she was seated. A waiter came by and he ordered for her just like she wanted. Marie looked out the window at the surrounding area. 

[Are you okay?] Marie glanced at him and nodded just as their appetizer was brought out. He frowned but didn’t say anything more for the rest of the meal. The appetizer was a soup that tasted of vegetables and it came with a piece of toasted bread. There would be more after this so she made sure not to overeat. She took a small sip of Rose Red to help the bread go down. Marie frowned before she pushed the feeling back down. Adrian was watching her already. She didn’t need him asking about this, especially since it was supposed to be her weakness.

Soon the appetizer was replaced with the main course. Chicken and bacon were covered in some kind of thick sauce. The food was enjoyable but the taste came out sweeter because of the Rose Red. Marie ate as much as she could before she leaned back. There was still plenty left but she was just too full. She took another sip of Rose Red as she glanced out the window. The waiter returned and replaced their plates. This time it was a brownie covered in syrup and whipped cream. Marie tried not to let her thoughts on the dessert show but she wasn’t successful.

“Don’t like brownies?”

“I don’t like sweets.” He tilted his head to the side and stared at her for a moment before he nodded.

“I can order you something else.” She shook her head. There was no more room in her stomach. Adrian finished his dessert before he stood up. [Ready?] She nodded.

They took the elevator down to the fourth floor. He led them to a room not far from the elevator. Adrian knocked on the door. They waited for several moments but no one came to the door. He glanced at her before turning back towards the door and knocking once again. The door opened a crack. Someone inside the room whispered something but it was too low for her to hear. 

A magic signal went off.

The door swung open as the man fell to the floor and clutched at his chest. Adrian knelt by the vampire. 

“What’s going on? Can you hear me?” The vampire kept his eyes closed as he clenched his jaw. Marie knelt next to him and placed her hand on the vampire’s chest. She closed her eyes and sent her magic into him. Someone was draining him. Marie followed the magic signal but it was cut off before she could get very far.

She opened her eyes and sat back on her heels. Adrian picked her up and stepped back in one fluid motion. Marie looked around in confusion. 

“I would appreciate it if you didn’t touch my companion.”

“Then keep her away from me!” The vampire swiped at the air in front of him as he staggered to his feet. The man swayed for a moment before he steadied himself. “Get out!” Adrian carried her backward, out of the room, while making sure to keep an eye on the other man. The vampire slammed the door in their faces right as they crossed the threshold.  

[Let’s go back to the room.] He put her back down before they went back towards their room.

Adrian closed the door behind them before he turned and spoke to her. 

“What happened back there?” She leaned against the sofa and crossed her arms. 

“It’s difficult to explain.” She kept thinking about the sensation she felt but she couldn’t make sense of it.

“Then start with what you can tell me.” He seemed impatient for her to begin. Was this what he originally called her here for?

“He was being drained. The magic was coming from several floors above us.” He nodded. “But it wasn’t a straight drain. There was something odd about it.” She wished she had a better way to explain but she didn’t really understand it herself.

“What was odd?”

“I don’t know. The magic cut off before I could figure it out.” He sighed and put his hand up to his hair before he dropped his arm. She waited, wondering if he would finally tell her what was going on. Adrian looked away with a frown before he shook his head and looked back at her.

“I don’t know what happened tonight but do not go out on your own.” With those words, he walked past her and into his room.  

0