Vol. 1, Chapter 1 – The Dungeon
87 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There is a huge bed in the center which almost took up all the space in the room, it was placed against the wall where a window stood and built. The room isn't designed in such a way like that of a noble's, there are not many designs that would consider it expensive.

The room was rather cramped to begin with.

The only thing considered to be remarkable inside is the bed and the huge window. It is where the sunlight enters and hits the bedsheets, making it really warm. The mattress slightly moved, making a low squeaking sound coming from the bed's wooden legs. Only means that a person is still sleeping soundly even if the sun's rays are already heating the beddings up.

Beside the bed is a little table, quite messy if anyone comes to see it. There are three books, and a rusty candelabra with three burnt candles on top. The table doesn't seem new, as dust can be seen settled on the edges of the legs. Some cracks are also noticeable from afar.

The door is located at the left corner of the room if one will be lying on the bed, and the bedside table is on the right along with a little wooden box, filled with clothes for day to day use.

The blanket rolls on the left side of the bed, leaving a long brown messy hair left stretching from where it was lying until where the blanket is. Upon Vanessa's awakening, she turned one more time and fell down making a loud thud in the room.

Agh damn it!! She muttered while clearing her eyes.

The door swung wide open fast as a little boy whose hair is similar to Vanessa smiles at her—

"Big Sister!!!!—"

The boy suddenly jumped at Vanessa who was still sitting on the floor, they both lay down on the floor, where the boy hugs Vanessa tightly.

"Hehey! Good morning Baines, how is your sleep?"

"I had a good night's sleep, big sis!"

The little boy chuckled while still hugging his older sister. Vanessa sniffed his short brown hair and, surprised, he took a bath. He doesn't usually take a bath early in the morning.

"Baines!"

Another voice came, but it was outside the room, soon after they heard footsteps that slowly became louder with every step.

"Get out of big sister's room you little idiot—"

An older boy with the same hair colour as theirs stopped speaking when he saw Vanessa up carrying Baines. She does not look good from what he said.

"Oh hey, uh... Good morning big sis... Nice day isn't it?"

Isaac laughed nervously trying to set what he said to Baines aside. He received a smack on the head from Vanessa while she still carries Baines from her other hand, with the hopes of not doing it again.

"Do not say that word again! And I hope you have learned your lesson."

Isaac lightly scratched the spot where he got hit, still smiling nervously.

"Y—yes, big sister."

"Now let us prepare food. For I have a job to do, remember?"

"No need for that sis, we have done it. It's nothing much, but I hope you will like it."

"Yes! And I helped prepare food too!"

"That's great Baines, good work!"

They went outside Vanessa's room, in front of them is another door that leads to the other bedroom but for the two young boys. When you look at the left, only a short hallway with nothing but a wall reaching the end. Upon turning right lies the dining room and the kitchen, there isn't a living room in the little house. A door leading outside is next after the dining room. And a little window beside it, giving light inside the house, one can say they lived a poor yet simple life.

About time Vanessa went out, she dressed up in her usual clothes, a simple shirt under her brown worn cloak with a hood. She doesn't wear any armour since she can enhance her defense stats with spells. She looks up and starts moving forward knowing that the skies are clear, with her head held up high.

Vanessa looked around Fivia town, and it was busy as usual.

Fivia Town is the nearest town near the Capital City of Volmagia Kingdom. The town does not boast anything in particular, but this is where most of the well known Adventurers and Merchants came from. The houses here are not built in a way for the rich. Most are single-storeys, like Vanessa's home and anyone else's in her neighbourhood. Usually people would consider two-storey houses as luxury in this town. But for businesses like inns and infirmaries, it is required that they use two or more floors.

Another thing you will most likely remember are the roads. Vanessa calmly walks down the smooth rock streets that have been built years ago. She can get tired, but her feet do not feel sore at all no matter how far she's going.

She stopped by a house with magical signs on the front, she walked in with a little smug on her face.

"Mrs. Blanc! Your favourite woman wants to see you!"

Vanessa headed inside and passed through the displays of different kinds of magic filled items when she found out that no one was in the shop, she sat down on the little stool beside the counter and silently waited.

"Come in Vanessa, I need to show you something."

Vanessa slowly stood up as she heard an old woman's voice. In the hallway, there are two doors and both are closed. She listened to the noises Mrs. Blanc was making, which directed her to the room on the right.

"What are you doing there Mrs. Blanc? Perhaps one of your newest inventions again? Shouldn't you be selling some magic books and scrolls?"

She opened the door and saw a woman wearing an apron and brown shirt underneath, her grey skin and white hair really tells that she is not in her prime anymore. Mrs. Blanc gently smiles at Vanessa then looks back at the staff.

"You know me very well, of course I would be Inventing stuff. But this time, it is a bit different."

She waved her hand telling her to go beside her, Vanessa stared at the glowing staff on top of the table in the room.

Vanessa sits down on the wooden chair beside Blanc, watching her saying spells she has heard before.

"[Fortify], [Double Fortify], [Enchant - Mana], [Enchant - Strength]."

After a few seconds Vanessa jumped in excitement.

"Amazing! You enchanted the staff four times!'

"This is the only staff I made with four enchantments. And those other staves outside only carry two."

"Don't you get tired after this?"

Blanc smiled gently at Vanessa, telling her the answer from her actions. She sighed looking at the jug of water on the other table beside the stools.

"This was supposed to be a gift for my son—"

Mrs. Blanc took the jug and poured some on the glass beside it until it was half full. Vanessa looked at Mrs. Blanc with a confused face, regarding what Mrs. Blanc was saying.

"This wood is one of the finest materials we found on one of our Travels... Ah yes, those were the days."

Mrs. Blanc finished her drink and placed the cup down the table. Vanessa doesn't look happy from the way Mrs. Blanc is telling the story, but somehow she wanted her to continue.

"When he was young, he wanted to become a mage. Those who go out Hunting and doing Raids... I keep telling him that he will be receiving this when that day comes."

"Then, what happened? Did something go wrong with his dreams?"

"No no, nothing wrong happened. Only that his dreams changed, he became a traveling merchant, I must admit he is actually good at making deals. But I didn't expect him to leave his dream of being an adventurer just like this."

"Do you still know where he is?"

Mrs. Blanc sighed again, it felt different from how she did it awhile ago.

"I do not. He ran away when I found out he didn't become what I expected him to become. I don't even get any messages from him at all... So that is why—"

Vanessa got shocked when Mrs. Blanc lifted the staff and bestowed it on her.

"Oh— No no, Mrs. Blanc don't give this to me I—"

"I will be handing this to you."

Mrs. Blanc managed to finish what she was saying before Vanessa would say anything else.

"Umu. Then, I thank you for this wonderful staff."

Mrs. Blanc nodded without saying a word, Vanessa smiled about the staff given to her, this is by far the best staff she got ever since she became an adventurer.

Vanessa continued on her travels as she waves at Mrs. Blanc, who was standing by the shop. She chuckled lightly, she can't wait to try it out. The Staff does not feel heavy despite it's length, which is almost as tall as her.

----------------------
----------------------

Vanessa's travel came to a halt as she lay her eyes on a huge tavern that seems to have stood for years. She immediately took a dive and ducked when she saw an empty vial being thrown in her direction, she stepped in after doing so and looked around.

That's strange, I don't usually see this many. She thought seeing that there are more than thirty adventurers residing in the hall and forming up parties. She scanned her surroundings once again to fully understand what was really going on to have so many people gathering in one place.

Until she saw a huge man with a broad sword behind his back. Looking around and from what it seems, inviting others to his party. Vanessa sat down on one of the tables in the corner, currently sitting beside a fit, tall man wearing a black cloak and a hood, entirely covering his face. The seat where she's resting helps Vanessa observe the large man from afar without getting noticed.

The huge man went from table to table, still failing to invite someone in the hall. Upon his gaze at Vanessa's table. The man looked at the two and ignored them, he didn't even bother approaching and went back to the table where the rest of his team sits. However, he remained standing up, and decided to call for attention.

"Uhm, ah... I am Harry Trills, one of the adventurers in Fivia Town, and I am looking for an adventurer with a level of forty or above. Because today, my party will be going on a raid where we will need at least eight people and we have one more spot... Is anyone interested in joining my party?"

People started talking again after his announcement like nothing happened. But the noise isn't the same as before, it looks like they started to talk about the rewards when joining their party.

Harry grins lightly hearing all their talks that's circulating in the tavern. He chuckled a bit and cleared his throat, trying to get their attention again.

"We will be killing a dragon, and the rewards are quite high. So, who's joining my party? And of course, we will split the rewards evenly."

The cloaked man beside Vanessa has piqued his curiosity hearing Harry's last statement as he moved his head in the direction of Harry. While Vanessa's face is filled with anger and disappointment from what happened. Still this isn't something that always comes by, it would be a waste if she were to let others join the party.

Before anyone gains their will to participate, Vanessa stood up and raised her hand.

"I'll do it! I will join your raid."

Harry's smile disappeared when he faced her direction, he did not expect that to happen. Her presence made the air slightly different, and the talks circulating focused on Vanessa. Harry looked around, and started smiling gently.

"O–of course! Ahm... Are you level forty then?"

"Almost! I am level thirty nine now, please consider it! I'm a healer and a mage, please let me join! I'll help you with anything with my capacity, I promise you that you won't regret it!"

"Woah woah, Easy! It's okay if you're level thirty nine, you're just a level lower than the requirement anyway... Oh and good for you– we do not have a healer in our party, and you will be taking a huge role. So please do your best as what you said earlier."

"Of course! Thank you very much."

Harry nods with a confident smile, before he returns at his table with Vanessa, he tries taking everyone's attention again. He clapped twice and waited for everyone to quiet down.

"Apologies for this, but apparently—"

He chuckled slightly as he looked at everyone with a nervous smile.

"We lacked a Guide for the raid, would anyone want to participate as a Guide? Anyone?"

He looked at everyone and checked if anyone would raise their hand, the hall became really silent.

Being a guide is crucial for the raiding party, they would serve as maps for the place they will be entering. However, most adventurers do not want to be a guide because guides are usually five to ten levels lower from the required level for the raid, since they will not be involved in combat. Still, Harry hoped anyone is willing to be one, to the point where he doesn't care about the level just to have a guide.

The man that was sitting beside Vanessa earlier raised his hand but did not stand up, he still covered his face by lowering his head.

"I will be joining as a guide."

Harry was a bit disappointed, he even ignored the man's table before he made an announcement to everyone. Still, the people he chose to ignore are the ones that are willing. He shrug with a feeling of I don't have much of a choice, do I?

"Very well, may I know your level, good sir?"

"Please call me Adelram, and I'm level 25."

Everyone in the hall bursted out laughing hearing Adelram's level, but he didn't mind and started walking towards Harry who was with Vanessa and went to Harry's table.

"I'm sorry sir Adelram, I– uh, I just wanted to—"

"It is fine, I don't want to cause any more trouble. It is best to ignore them."

The noise continued as the laughs halted, the three went to their tables and saw six more adventurers. With their different clothing, they seem to be wearing a little green button, that's showing off on everyone's clothes.

"Everyone, let's go get a room shall we?"

Harry went into the reception and asked for a room, Adelram and Vanessa watched him giving four silver coins to the lady he's speaking with. He returned with a little smug on his face.

"Let us go, I just got a silver coin from the room, haha."

As they all entered the room, the atmosphere felt totally different from the hall. Even if you can still hear the noise outside, you can really tell that it is more peaceful and quiet when having a room rather than competing with others outside at the hall.

Once they all sat down on the table, the first one to stand up was Harry. Since he will have to be responsible for creating a party. Everyone looked at him and prepared to listen as they shut their mouths.

"Introductions first, everyone, please introduce yourselves to the new members of our party."

A slight clanging of metal caught their attention and looked at the man who stood beside Harry. The sound came from his iron plate that looks pretty old, since there are noticeable dents and a big scratch mark that stretches from his right shoulder to his lower left abdomen. He stroked his chin with his right leather gloved hand, he looked around his mid-forties. His build isn't that much different from Harry, only smaller.

"It seems that I would be first."

He said with an old rough voice, he slightly chuckled as he looked at Harry, ending up with his arms around Harry's shoulders.

"My name is Harold Trills, level 43 and tier four. Oh and yes, I am Harry's older brother."

Harold looked at the younger man beside him and sat down with the impression of it's your turn.

The young man let out a sigh and decided to stand up after looking at everyone. Compared to the brothers that wore steel armour, he is only wearing an almost worn leather armour. Despite the damages done to it, it looks like it can still be used to more battles as it was enchanted, everyone sees the light glow in it, making the armour sturdier than those that aren't enchanted. Underneath is a long sleeve shirt with elbow pads and no armour on his legs, just knee pads too.

He is the type of guy who doesn't stand out much with his equipment, his short sword beside him does not have any designs that will make it look special. He looks really young despite being an adventurer, as he doesn't have any facial hair. Although you probably won't remember his face since his hood covers it, you can't really tell how he looks.

"The name's Kaine Herrera, level 41 and tier four as well." He sat down right after he spoke, leaving an awkward atmosphere that made the next person next to him stand up.

Vanessa was surprised upon noticing that the woman's ears were pointed. Who would've thought that there would be an elf in this party. She looked at Adelram as if she's trying to tell him that there's an elf in the room.

"Wow, you're... You're an Elf!"

The woman chuckled slightly, "That is right, I am."

"Greetings to you, my name is Lynya Drottmadison Lynchelf. Please just call me Lyn, I am an archer, and my level is 46, and the tier is five."

"I have so many questions about you!"

Vanessa stands up and slammed the table lightly. For a second she thought that she didn't have to do that in front of everyone. She looked at others who were yet to tell their names, and noticed that she was getting too excited. She sat down with a nervous smile on her face, trying to hide her presence.

Harold smirked at her and cleared his throat, taking all their attention to him. He thought of a way to let go of the awkward silence while keeping his image as a leader.

"Please don't mind it, just continue with the introduction."

"Is that so? Then I would be next."

The man didn't stand up, it seems that his name just needed to be known. He is already with most of them for almost a year anyway. They were doing this again for the two new people here. For the whole time Vanessa and Adelram met him he never showed his smile or any other facial expressions, he just looked at everyone with a serious face. Though the seriousness in his face doesn't make him the type of person like Harry or Harold, his build is much smaller than them. But not too small to compare him to Kaine. He also wore the same protection as Harold's, but his armour looked a lot cleaner, there were no visible scratches anywhere.

"My name is Leonard Wright, the level is 43 and the tier is four, as you see—"

He waved his hand to his waist to show his slim long sword to the new people,

"I am also a Warrior."

He tied his curly black hair as he sat down on his chair, still with a serious look. It's not like he's unapproachable, but rather looks like he's always not in the mood to speak... Vanessa sighed as she observed Leonard, trying not to get on his nerves. Well, trying not to get on anyone's nerves.

Setting those things aside, they noticed that no one spoke the next few seconds after Leonard's introduction. Vanessa beside her and at Adelram, who was just sitting still, he did not mind the silence around. Harold looked at Kaine with a bright smile while stroking his chin hair, Lynya is just smiling gently at anyone who she made contact with.

Another second has passed, and it felt like an eternity waiting for the next person to identify herself. Until they heard gulping sounds, it disturbed the silence in the room.

"Uwaah, that hit the spot!"

Someone placed a mug on the table. They all looked at the corner of their eyes, where the chugging sound came from, and saw a black mage's hat. A carefree smile can be seen on the face, and a woman's giggle was heard when she continued drinking her mug of beer, or ale. Her dark grey bangs on her forehead hid her right eye, she placed her hand on her cheek in delight after drinking.

Kaine cleared his throat trying to grab the little woman's attention. The little woman didn't even glance at him and continued drinking. Vanessa thought that she was just a kid since her height is that of a ten-year old.

"Oh dear!"

She said it with a mix of sarcasm and sincerity, leaving a little smug for Leonard.

"It seems that my turn has come."

She removed her hat and placed it on top of the mug to hide it. Vanessa's eyes didn't expect to see her mug gone after the little woman picked her hat again.

"My name is Aisha Philips."

"Wait— I know this is wrong timing but, what magic is that?"

Vanessa can't remain shut while being really curious at everyone who's showing off things that don't come by in this town often. Elves as an example, it takes everyone's attention in the town since this is a kingdom for humans.

"Oh this? It's just a simple spatial magic, unfortunately I can only keep five things."

"That's still Incredible!!"

"I know, hu~ hu~ hu~!!!"

Everyone cringed hearing Aisha's fake yet confident laugh, Kaine's composure changed when he covered his mouth trying to stop laughing. Leonard's nerves twitched hearing that laugh that she never showed to everyone.

"Wh—what, what's so funny?!!"

After Lynya's light giggle, she decided to speak up, "It's just that you were never like this for all the times you are with us."

"Hmph! Anyway, my level is 44 and well, I am a mage."

Everyone seemed to calm down after Aisha spoke. With Harry wiping his watery eyes from laughing, he looked at the last person with a totally different expression. His seriousness spreads fast to everyone like bushfire. Harry cleared his throat before speaking up.

"Well, that goes for Aisha, you're up next."

"Tch, what's with the serious face? Everyone was just laughing awhile ago."

"Huh, anyway, My name is Kris Skye, I'm also a mage, level 42."

She spun her brown staff making her smooth long hair wave. Her eyebrows twitched when everyone did not look impressed. The silent seconds that passed felt like eternity for someone who just tries to impress the new people, thus making her think of another scheme.

"So why did you decide to join?" Kris asked, as she raised an eyebrow, she doesn't want Vanessa to be in her team. "You know there are other Parties that can give enough gold for yourself."

"I needed the gold not just for myself, but to feed my family." Vanessa answered firmly while evading Kris' eyes.

"That's alright I guess, I understand you, then. What about you?" Everyone looked where the staff pointed. Adelram sighed as he removed his hood. A young man can be seen with furious calm eyes and a serious look, he looked at everyone who was looking back at him, waiting for a response.

"I'll be honest. I just want the gold." He answered without thinking, which made everyone slightly surprised. "I believe you guys know how much a Dragon's heart is."

"The price still depends on what type of dragon we are up against, the heart of a Black Dragon is the most expensive one, it might go up to 1 million gold." Harry replied uneasily while thinking how much they all could earn when they kill a single beast, "While the heart of a Red Dragon is about seven hundred thousand gold."

"The price goes lower until the weakest dragon, the green one. It's heart is roughly around ten thousand." Harry looked at Adelram, waiting for a response.

"As I expected, I do not mind receiving lower than the equal splitting." Adelram lightly smiled, "I'll just be the Guide after all."

----------------------
----------------------

They all went out in the reserved room, while double checking the things they prepared. Harry went on the reception holding the Quest Paper and filling it, assigning himself as the party leader and listing others as members as well. But, he wrote Vanessa's name beside Adelram, making them both guides.

He looked at the party and made sure to pass the Quest without Vanessa and Adelram having to look at it. After passing the paper to the woman wearing a white blouse and a red vest. She got really surprised from examining it, "Excuse me sir, but sir Adelram will just work as a guide in your party?"

"Yes, he will just be a guide, is there a problem?"

"No sir, it's just..." The woman let out a sigh and decided to just let it be, "No it's nothing, I'll prepare the Quest, please wait."

While waiting, Vanessa looked at her party and noticed how they were smiling, differently.

She feels something is really off.

"So, are you guys ready?" Harry asked while looking at everyone who nodded as an answer.

"Please follow me." A different woman with a light smile greeted them with a bow. She started walking and the whole party followed. The noisy crowd stared at them as they walked through the tavern until they reached a huge hall. The hall is so bright with the sunlight entering all the large windows on each side. Of all the portals in the room, there's one in the center that'll truly get your attention.

Usually the size of a normal portal is that of a Human's, but the one on the center... It's twice as big. They all sensed a strong ominous aura emanating from it, also starting to get a little nervous to find out it's the one they're entering.

The woman whom they followed stood beside the portal and bowed at them with a light smile, "Here is your dungeon, please enter to start your quest."

"Good luck."

0