Chapter 3.6 There had better be a rainbow after this killer storm
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The red and blue of flashing police and ambulance lights lit up the neighbourhood and was reflected in the puddles of rain water.

 

“You okay kid? You are really one lucky boy.” The medic patted Gill on his shoulder comfortingly. “I heard that the lady that went after you, she was the one who actually called the police on herself, confessing her crimes, crying and all that. So I heard that is. But you are really lucky! Don’t go sneaking into anyone else’s house any more, friend or not, alright? You may not be so lucky next time.”

 

The medic left Gill sitting on the pavement, blanket draped around him, still clutching that little black umbrella.

 

There were officers all around, hard at work and questioning neighbours. Gill quickly learned that if he just stayed still and quiet, he was almost invisible to everyone around him and could listen to and learn much of what’s happening as the officers discussed the case amongst themselves. Seems like the medic was right. 

 

Aunty had a lucid spell and to her horror, remembered all that she had done to both RaRa and Uncle. She couldn’t bear the guilt as all along she had thought they had just passed on, not realising she was the culprit who murdered them. The two people whom she loved most in the world and who loved her back without reserve and without asking for anything back. The thought had pushed her nearly to slit her wrists after the call, had the box not fallen and interrupted her attempted sucide and drove her back into one of her episodes. She had stopped taking her medication when Uncle had passed away.

 

A small hand touched Gill’s shoulder.

 

“Gill. Thank you. Thank you so much for doing this for my mother. Thank you so much for coming with me. Thank you for being there. Just thank you.” the warm soft voice came from behind.

 

Gill started to turn but was interrupted.

 

“No, don't turn, I don’t really want you to see me this way. It’s my turn to have snot coming from my nose and it’s not a pretty sight. I just wanted to thank you for everything and your love. I never really wanted you to see all the ugly side of my family. Of me. Because in your eyes I will not be perfect any more. But I also realised more than anything, I needed your help if Mommy was to get any better. She loves us so much, yet she was constantly in pain. Without your help, she couldn’t have gotten the help she needed.” RaRa’s sad voice trembled with the effort of holding back even more tears.

 

“I am beyond grateful to you. More so than you would ever know. I also wanted you to know that you are the best friend anyone could have. Of all the people, you chose me to be your friend. I am blessed and lucky beyond anything to have such a loyal loving friend like you. Thank you for setting Mommy free.” 

 

RaRa sniffled.

 

“I still don’t get why you wanted to be me. Look at this whole fiasco. This is not perfect. The world is not perfect. But by being who you are, the sun shone a little brighter for me and Mommy today. And speaking of parents. Yours are here. I gotta go.  Also keep that umbrella safe. I will see you later okay? Same place…When you get let out.” A laughing snicker escaped from RaRa.

 

As the first rays of dawn brightened the sky, Gill saw the worried expression on his parents’ faces as they dashed towards him. They fussed over him and checked to ensure that he was alright. Upon confirming that their precious offspring was fine and dandy, that was when the displeasure started taking over the concern on their expressions. He really didn’t mean to worry them. It also wasn’t really his fault. Well, not totally anyway.

 

He was dead. They were going to kill him for staying out all night.

0