Chapter 10 – The living and the death
2.9k 3 113
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Riki ran as fast as his feed carried him, while the water turned from Pink gradually into deep red. The closer the shore was, the higher the tension on their small raft rode. 
Not even entirely arrived out of breath and sweating from exhaustion, Riki cam to a slithering halt.

Jumping into the water, Yui looked first at Hiro and then at the panting Riki before turning to Gene.
"Take this." She said and took a small short Blade from her sleeve and a piece of fabric with the emblem of a simplified fan on it. "This is a Kunai and a badge with the Uchiha family sign. Use it for self-defense and in case you meet a Shinobi with the same sign as the one on our headband show this to them, if you manage too, otherwise don't fight, run. Right now, we cannot protect you." Gene nodded understanding of the fact that she was nothing more than a mere burden right now, "You have Chakra, use it to help your Body. Even if you can't remember how, for whatever reason your body knows and remembers what to do, simply trust your instinct."

"Alright.", She answered trembling clutching to the Kunai Yui gave her, worried and afraid of being alone. 

"You are stronger than you may expect, little one, and remember to never show the book to anyone but the Hokage himself, it is dangerous for you and for others. This is Money. It should be enough to get by for quite a while without having to worry. Half an hour in that direction is a Village from there you can hire someone to protect you and travel with, if we are not back in a few days you go, don't wait, go to Konoha." Yui showed her a purse and shoved it into the pocket of her outer coat. "Never stop using your brain, and let others believe you are a boy. It's safer." she hugged her tightly while whispering into her ear, "stay safe."

"We don't know if we walk out of this alive little Gene. Take care." Hiro said waving goodbye before following an anxious Riki that had already stormed ahead. Left behind, Gene looked at the money, the Kunai and the badge before putting it all into her pockets, staring to walk into the direction Yui had pointed to.

Now I am alone. Half an hour, well then all I need to do now is walking.

Pumping Chakra through her body, she started walking painfully slow. Each step looked as if it needed eternity and was difficult.
At some point she noticed how inefficient she was using her Chakra but the longer she walked, the better it got, her body really knew what to do, and she followed along.
She didn't know how long she had been walking, but it was longer than half an hour for certain. 

Did I walk in the wrong direction?

On wobbly legs and by now completely out of breath, she continued to force herself to walk on, it was not as if she had much of another choice.

I am where I started, walking in the middle of nowhere. 

Shivering and sweating under her thick clothing, she looked upwards as snow started to fall. Her sight got blurry, and her Chakra started to give out in sporadic instances, but she kept on dragging her body further until the trees started to lighten, and she saw a gray smoke rise to the sky a bit further. 
Smoke from cooking fires she hoped dearly and was relieved of having a visible goal and possible arrival in front of her eyes. The closer she got, the stronger it smelled like something had burned.

Behind a tree she saw something black and a bad feeling caught her. She stumbled faster under the increasing snowfall until the village was in full sight.

Oh my God.

She could literally hear the words from a few days ago. We are in a war, a Shinobi war. She hastily stumbled away and suppressed the strong urge to gag. A woman's body, completely black, with something small in her arms partly covered by the fresh snow. Turning away, she vomited and felt sick from the sight alone. A mother with child, burned alive while running from where the body was, a bit apart from the village.

War is no adventure Gene, wasn't it that what Anuk always said when I asked her what war was like. I should have had more sense and not been that stupid, how could I have asked that back then or even enjoy it while gaming. How can human, anything, possibly do something like this.

Someone must have survived this fire, someone, anyone. I can't believe they are all death and no one could flee. What if the ones responsible are still here?

She started to stumble and fell right into the snow while hearing a creaking sound. Panicking she looked around. 

Imagination, maybe something fell down. Here is nothing left, and I have no clue what now. Breathe and think. All I can do right now is to wait for the others to come for that I need to survive.

What do I need?

Snow is falling, I need shelter, food, that is important. The dead are dead I am one of the living and I need food and shelter.

Gritting her teeth, she stood up and balled her fists. She had to be brave, being a coward was not allowed and the only place where she could find shelter and food now, were the burned ruins right in front of her. 

 

 

113