Chapter 18 – The way to Konoha
2.6k 2 95
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A bang woke her up and Gene shot from her comfortable bed right into standing position. Or, at least she tried and failed miserably. Making a small Jip of Pain, she stared at Shisui who was growling and rubbing his head. He managed to jump up from the noise and promptly greeted the sloping roof with his head. 

He muttered something and stood up. "I should have taken the other room. Less dangerous for my head." 

"Maybe.", She giggled at his expression, "But it is quite funny. Say, do you know what that was?" She asked him, and he looked skeptically at their door. 

"I have a feeling." Marching towards the door he opened it and stared down at a young man lying on the floor. 

"Hey fool, didn't anybody tell you stealing is firstly done at night and secondly not done on small kids. Not all of us are harmless." He stepped over him, took his arm and dragged him out of the way before coming back and declaring. "He will wake up in an Hour or so." 

"Is that a Jutsus work?" She asked Shisui who nodded in agreement. 

"It is, it only works on civilians and is considered rather useless due to that. It is also a nifty trick though and that's why I learned it." 

"Ah, are there many such Jutsu?" 

"You mean those small unnamed that are for convenience? Pretty much.  People only know the big ones or what they learn in Academy, so these small nameless ones are mostly forgotten. There are Jutsu to attach paintings to a wall, to lock the door, to track your house keys, all this kind of stuff." 

"That sounds useful more than useless." 

"In some way. Thinking about it, you are not wrong. Convenience Jutsu are useful. Thing is, most can't or don't see the point in them. Difficult to learn and hard to use." 

He picked her up and helped her into her outer clothes.  "Here you go, and for last..." He muttered and put a small woolen hat in her, in light blue, decorated with small snowflakes. "I passed by this in yesterday when you were already asleep. Couldn't resist." She smiled and nodded covertly searching for the booklet that Yui, Hiro and Riki had given her signing in relieve when she felt it where she left it. 

Still there. 

He picked her up and carried her down while whistling a little. Apparently Shisui was in the best of moods. Passing by the slowly coming back to himself third rate thief, she was carried downstairs where the wonderful smell of breakfast floated around. 

"Ah Children, good morning." A middle-aged woman greeted them while carrying a tabled  full of food towards another pair of guests. 

"Good Morning." Gene and. Shisui answered. 

"Breakfast you two?" She asked and they both nodded.

Huh, Hunger. I guess if my stomach is feeling it again then it is really going upwards. 

A few minutes later, a rather generous breakfast appeared in front of them. "Help yourself." The Inn Lady said and continued her work. Meanwhile, Shisui took plenty from his platter and put it on hers. "You need calories and lots of nutrition." He said, and dug into his food, eating with lightning speed. In contrary to him, Gene struggled. Putting her arms on the Table, she grabbed the bread and hissed when raising them to her mouth. In the end she had her elbows on the table slowly munching at her bread. 

"Why don't you help her boy? She looks mighty weak to me." The Inn Lady said looking rather strange at Gene's awkward figure. 

"I won't help.", Shisui answered at her, "I will protect her and help her with what she can't manage, but other things I leave to her. She has not gone through what she did for pity help."  

"Oh, I understand." The Lady said and walked away looking at him strangely. 

Gene instead smiled thankfully, "thank you." She said and smiled brightly, "for not taking pity on me and helping me by respecting me." 

"What, why shouldn't I. I might be stronger and better off currently, but you are nothing but my equal and that's how I will treat you." He told her, and Gene felt truly thankful for his words. She had never been a real equal. Her parents, the Nurses and Doctors, even Anuk always did everything for her just to be helpful. It had been suffocating for her sometimes. She wanted to be her own person, she had been sick with a fragile body not mentally impaired. 

"Truly thank you.", She said and Shisui who blinked when seeing her like this. He had not expected his words to have such an effect. 

"You are welcome. Once we finish we will be searching for a trading caravan traveling to Konoha, meanwhile, look at my hands." He started to make a few movements with his hands, and she observed closely while he was doing so. "These are Hand signs, the basis of all of Ninjutu." He explained, "since using Chakra is out of books for now I will let you practice those without until you can do them in your sleep." 

He pointed at her, "If I wake you up at midnight, you’ll have to be able to answer which hand seal I'm making." 

"Alright." 

"Now continue eating, you need it." 

"Okay." 

Gene finished eating while Shisui paid. He picked her up and stepped outside where the crisp morning air greeted them. 

"The innkeeper said we have to head towards the eastern gate for finding the caravans, but she didn't know if there was one going to Konoha." 

She nodded while looking around, enjoying the brilliant colors. Blue, brown, gray, red, yellow, despite the happenings of yesterday the people seemed calm and peaceful. No one was truly afraid. 

They arrived at the eastern gate during the time Gene lost herself in observing. A lot of different trading caravans gathered there. 

"Now we just need the right one." She muttered, and Shisui nodded in agreement. Now all they needed was the right one, and they would be on their way. 

Nobody would expect a Shinobi to be traveling under the guise of an older Orphan brother with his sickly sister. 

 

 

95