II Chapter 2 – Among us
1.2k 2 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gene balled her fists, everything that started with such words couldn't be good news. She took a deep breath and fixated her gaze along everyone else on Fukagu-sama. His face, lit by the dim flickering candlelights was more serious than usual, he was wearing frown on his face. The atmosphere darkened, turning almost ominous as even the smallest children playing in the back slowly went silent, soon there was no noise inside the room packed with people. Only the pounding of hearts and the sound of breathing remained.
All of a sudden one of the babies in the back started wailing, and the sound echoed through the entire room as its mother tried to calm it down whispering sweet nothings.

Fukagu- sama opened his mouth and started speaking.

"As you all are aware the reputation of the Uchiha has taken quite a few hits especially during the last couple of years, partly due to plots of our enemies, partly because of our own actions.", He seemed to be tired, exhausted and battling himself as he took another breath as if he was still in disbelieve what he was about to say. "We have a traitor among our ranks."

What!? A traitor inside the Uchiha?

His words were like a bomb thrown right into the people exploding in a constant whispers among the people. Gene felt the shock course through her body as many faces slowly turned around. To her seat. Looking right at her with burning suspicion.
She shivered at their gazes amd felt herself stiffening in fright.

Get a hold of yourself.

She shouted through her mind and remained sitting, coating her hand in Chakra, prepared to freeze every single person in the room with a blizzard. "Not her, for god’s sake!" Shisui shouted and raised for her defense. "She is a child and has no access to the kind of information important enough." An older man among the important figures in the front stood up, leaning on his walking stick wearing an angry expression.

"You say so Shisui, she is here because of you and no matter how much of a Genius you are. You overstepped your authority by taking this outsider, one not even from Konoha but from the land of waters, in!" He glared at Shisui opening his mouth again. 

"Enough!", Fukagu thundered and hit the floor with his hand as next to him Itachi helped his mother up. 

"She has been investigated more thoughougly by anyone else along a few others and that not only from our side. Gene is not the traitor, actually she is among the few people who have been completely cleaned off any suspicion. I will not let you sabotage one of the most promising Shinobi inside the Clan just because she doesn't happen to be blood related to us." Mikoto- san said a lot calmer than her husband but with enough force to make most Clan members close their mouth and swallow their suspicions. 

"She is from the Land of Waters, who tells us she does not work for Kirigakure the fact that she shows this much promise makes her even more suspicious!" The old man objected when he suddenly was hit by a flat hand. 

"She is not a Traitor.", Shisui hissed stepping back, facing the others far calmer, "She was tested right after she entered the Clan by both the Sandaime, the Yondaime and the Nara." The last shut the remaining doubters up, and Gene shuddered in relief when the others seemed to have cleared her of suspicion. For now. She let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

Fukagu-sama and Mikoto sat back down while Shisui also slowly returned to his seat leaving only the angry elder standing there until he sat down huffing in anger. 

"So, as I already said. We have a traitor among our ranks. Shisui has received a Mission from the Yondaime to protect his heavily pregnant wife Kushina Uzumaki. Someone in possession of a Sharingan has been seen by one of the Anbu patrolling Teams giving out information to the Shinobi of other villages. Along other information gathered from various sources, which I am not allowed to mention here, we have figured out it has to be someone from the inside, most likely one of us." He explained, and Gene suddenly felt a huge stone fall from her heart.
If it was someone with a Sharingan, she was cleaned from any suspicion. Having no Uchiha blood, she didn't possess a Sharingan.

The almost boiling violent atmosphere lessened, but tension still rode high. "If anyone knows something, speak up, there will be no punishment. No harm has been done up until now. But this traitor risks all of our lives."
After these words the Clan head left the meeting room with his wife and Itachi following him. Gene clenched and unclenched her hand into a fist while slowly everyone left, remaining sitting on her spot, until seeing how Shisui pointed to the side entrance.

Meet you outside. 

Gene nodded and walked towards the exit. Arriving outside, Shisui closed the door behind him and locked it. He walked ahead with her silently following him to her room. Shisui closed the doors there too with a quick look if anyone had followed them and sat down at Gene's desk chair, leaning back. "God's, this is exhausting." He said "I cannot believe they all still suspect you, we tested you, and you passed. You are not a spy." 

"Things are looking that bad?" Gene asked him and he nodded. 

"Worse, you haven't noticed yet because you are at the Academy." He explained. "I am here warn you, it is dangerous be careful, Tsukiko too. I know the two of you will do a little digging regardless of what I say, you curiousity will kill you one day, but please if you find anything tell me before you act. Promise." 

Tsukiko probably already knows more than she should. Basically nothing happens in Konoha without her knowing of it.

She wanted to say something but closed her mouth before she said something she was sure to regret later. Promising him to speak with him before acting upon something. He was right, considering Tsukiko's position and contacts it was not impossible that, if they started digging and she knew their curiousity would let them do nothing else or none of could sleep, they would possibly stumble upon valuable information.

"Promise."

 

42