Chapter 1 – Soup and salvation
5.2k 1 129
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The coldness vanished and she felt more comfortable.

Frowning, she heard faint voices, almost suspecting them to be her parents. They often discussed things when they thought her asleep. Spoke about her situation and other things they didn't want her to know. 

"We cannot just keep the girl, put her into an orphanage!", the female voice said. 

"You know how the children there are treated, and she is already far to thin.", the male voice. 

"I know, it's just she won't be off much better with us." 

"At least she won't hunger, we have enough to..." 

Shifting underneath her covers to hear better, she cursed as the bed creaked. Knowing it made no sense anymore to listen she opened her eyes and looked at two completely unfamiliar faces. They were harshly cut and thin. Clad into leather and coarse clothing one of them carrying something that looked like an antiqe armor. 

"Now, now.", a third voice said, and she saw a smiling face from a man with black hair and black eyes. "Our small guest first needs something to eat." 

The man pushed a soup into his colleague's hands and slowly lifted her up until she leaned to the headboard. The bowl of soup back on his lap, he filled the spoon, blowing it and putting it in front of her. "It is not poisoned, don't worry, if we wanted to harm you we would have done so long ago."

She eyed the spoon and hunger took over while eating. Devouring the soup she felt for the first time in a eternity to have some strength left in her bones. 

"Now better?", the nice male asked her, and she nodded. Definitely better. 

She opened her mouth and tried out if she could speak. Hearing the hoarse sound she apparently could. 

First, I have to know where I am and who those people are.

"I am Genevieve.", she introduced herself, "thank you for saving me." 

"Ah, so you do speak, I am Riki, these are my Teammates Yui and Hiro." He pointed first at the brown haired woman and then at the slightly taller blond male. 

All of them wore a headband with a swirling circle inside somewhere on their body. 

"Do you remember how you ended up like that?" Black haired Riki asked her. 

"No I don't, I don't even know where I am.", she answered, her voice hoarse and her throat hurting. 

"Alright then, we are in the Land of Waters.", he said, "you do know that?" 

She shook her head, she did not know, the Land of Waters sounded very strange to her.

"I don't, I come from a City called Paris. I was in hospital there and something happened and next I know I was here and very much occupied with trying to find someone, anyone for survival.", she answered truthfully and saw how the three seemed to have some kind of silent communication. 

Riki patted her head and smiled shortly later, "it's fine, you will remember, now a bit more of the soup?" 

She nodded, food, she was hungry and at the point to eat almost anything. Riki laughed and even the stern woman had a small laugh for her.  

"Alright little one, another bit of food for our little Genev..." he looked questioning at her. 

"You can call me Gene or Vivi that's what I am usually called.", she said and earned a warm and sweet smile as he left. 

"Make it hot, she needs to eat slowly, and we don't want cold soup at some point that would upset her stomach.", Yui shouted after Riki in a stern tone.

She looked at her and tilted her head, "Thank you." She whispered as Hiro shook his head. 

"Be thankful to Fate not us, it was sheer coincidence that we passed by." 

"Nevertheless you saved me, you were under no obligation to help." She answered. Except words there was no way to somehow express how happy she was to be alive. 

When she woke up and walked in the snows half delirious. There had been little she realized, but that she had to do something. Her entire self had shut down into survival mode trying to find help, or to find shelter and following the settings suns light in futile hope. 

"Don't girl, I am not happy with the delay, but I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror if we had left you.", Yui growled, "our problem is what we are going to do with you now?" 

"We could take her along.", Hiro proposed, and Gene observed him as she shot her a glance back to Riki and Yui. Riki seemed to consider while the frown Yui wore deepened. 

"I don't think it will be a good Idea. It's dangerous and not suitable for a weak civilian..." 

"Yui it is not as stupid as it sounds.", Riki interrupted her, "she would make our cover a lot more believable." 

"A girl, a helpless foal that is sick and weak. She can barely move, sure.", Yui sounded sarcastic, "better to put her into an orphanage." 

"Yui, you know how full these are, she won't survive there as weak as she is.",  Hiro protested and Gene felt excluded from a conversation of her possible close future.

"I am sorry.", she interrupted, "but don't I have a right to decide what I want to? Can you not just bring me to a police station, so I can call my family?" 

"Police station, call your Family?" Riki sounded as confused as the others looked at her words.

"This is still the 22nd century no?", seeing their reaction she felt very uncomfortable and had a suspicion she did not want confirmed.

"22nd Century, don't know what you are talking about, we are in the middle of a war.", Yui said, "a big one too." 

A War? 

"What war?" She asked 

"The Shinobi war.", she received an answer that made the realization hit. This was not only far, far away from her home, she was in another world. 

 

 

129