Chapter 2- Prospecting
52 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The island was covered by a mixed forest. There were squirrels and deer along the numerous cliffs. A white dirt road cut straight to the shore. So the tall trees did nothing to block Harold sight of the bay. There were problems with his plans. Mainly, that it relied so heavily on kids. It seemed inappropriate, and made him worry. It'd been many years since he had been worried.

Outside was cold, and severe. Especially since the tower he stood in was almost a hundred and fifty feet up. Harold should've been the only soul awake on the island, but someone came into to his chamber. The person started awkwardly.

"I got some references for you sir. Grade scores for the candidates, character referrals for those that were available, and the GPA's for all participants. Hopefully, that'll get our plans moving smoothly." He'd held the papers down, and talked loudly, because of the wind blowing both.

"Yes, hopefully." Robert Petterson was Harold's nephew and his most trusted confidant. He had turned thirty-one this month. Harold turned to him. His chambers weren't brightly lit, but he could see as well he could broad daylight. He could see the slight wrinkles on his nephew's face. They were much shallower than those on Harold continence. It had only made him worry just a little bit more. Time seemed to be at his feet.

He after a sigh, he spoke.

"We're doing this for our country ."

............................

Froyd had been on the boat for a day now. The ride had been rough enough that he felt slightly sick. Even then he'd still force down some food, which to their credit was amazing. Stewed fish, yellow tea and fresh bread and butter was their breakfast.

Froyd and the other's spoke quietly in the presence of the Arch Mage. The old man sat stalwart at the head of the table. He'd eaten with them the past few days and remembered most of their names. He'd even gotten John to laugh during this time. The joke had gotten most of them to choke on whatever food they were eating.

The Mage stood. The lights in the serving room were orange and soft, like candlelight light and made him seem mysterious. The people present found it appropriate, and the room became even quieter.

"You will be leaving the safety of your youth behind you. That is whether you choose to stay or not, it is simply that time in your lives. But with the decision, some of you, many that I've grown to like, will die young."  The room became quieter, almost devoid of breathing people.

"You've all chosen a very hard path. With the gifts God has given you, this does not have to be the case. Go home, have kids, and pay your bills." He said to the quiet room. "This is your last chance."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0