Chapter 8- Oncoming
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Froyd felt a little disappointed in himself. He'd thought of himself as much harder to shake. Eleven now approached, and he'd been in bed since nine. Excitement kept him awake, and the lack of entertainment made it even harder to fall asleep. He got up and rolled the blinds open. A little leafless fruit tree, just outside the window, whistled in the wind. He'd know once spring came, but it seemed to be a sugar apple tree. One of his favorites. He got into bed and eventually he managed to fall asleep.

As Froyd woke up, he grabbed the watch from the nightstand. It was five, by then. They'd be taking pictures, in commemoration of the ceremony, just outside his cabin. Since there was time left, he decided to do his routine. Froyd got into a basic fighting stance. He did combinations. Throwing quick, powerful blows. He dodged, and weaved in the small environment as if there really were an opponent there, throwing shots back at him. High and low, straights, and crosses. Afterward, he'd moved into practicing his takedowns.

He'd gotten into martial arts at a young age. His father had enrolled him into a caidoo studio. without his consent. It was their only shared interest, and so, he'd pursued it in hopes of deepening their bond. It was years later, after winning a few tournaments that his love for it had truly blosomed. And Froyd expressed it, in an obsessive manner. 

He'd only caught himself when the sun felt warm on his sweat-drenched back. He'd checked the watch, and it said seven. Froyd made short work of bathing and grooming. The environment had initially felt small. But as he moved around the house more and more, he discovered that it was more than enough for just one person. He came out of the bathroom fully groomed. The thought of wearing a robe, a dress, he thought really, felt off-putting. Wearing it with only briefs, was something he never do. He left his cabin at 8:20. Despite how thick the robe felt to the touch, he felt lingering cold in the air. Just enough, in fact, to feel comfortable.

Darold directed to the participants to their most suitable positions. At first, Froyd had stood with his only two friends, John, and Hank. The nine males were taller than the five females that remained, and so, they stood behind the girls. And, eventually, Darold moved him closer to the center, and away from John and Hank. Since both were on the shorter end of the spectrum. Darold held up three fingers, counting as they fell. Froyd  felt something. An honest feeling, that brought a smile to his face. 

After taking the pictures, everyone milled about. Somehow, it felt like something had ended for them. No one knew what exactly it was. But it felt important. The other teachers all came out, and they begin the journey to the ceremony's starting point. 

"You guys, stay close together. On this island, the array messes with distance. So you really don't want to get lost, or you're screwed." 

As they got deeper into the island, Froyd noticed the trees around them getting taller, even more so than usual. The spaces between them widening, and the fog thickening, and then flooding over; to the point of coming out onto their path. The tree's shadows made it dark. The smell of old rotten pine needles, became thick, grew; enough to choke a few participants. The joviality of the moment had all gone away, now. Suddenly, it had become tense, and their nerves were now on them. The proctor smiled a knowing smile, but went on in silence. Froyd made his way up the group, stopping just beside Charlenne and Danisha. 

"If you need help call. That goes for you two, too." He said to Danisha, and Krissy. "The ceremony is important, but being alive is even more so." 

As they grown up together, Charlene just nodded, already used to the treatment. Krissy and Danisha, on the other hand, stared openly.

Danisha said. "Thank you." 

Krissy turned her head, but nodded in agreement. He didn't take offence to it. He himself didn't talk much. Froyd went back to his friends and started a discussion.

 

 

 

 

 

0