Prologue – Hopefully Not The Last
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They say a man can live barely a month without water. The Western tribes have trials where they send young boys off into the desert without supplies or water and see if they can complete a task. They are granted manhood once they complete this task. I don't know exactly how long this trial last, but I know I must have lapped them by now. With the powers I’m blessed with, it’s a surprise that I’ve managed to lose track of time. It has been well over a week in this desert and things aren’t looking well.

 

I'm writing this book as an entry to the Wisam's Grand Library. I hope to one day have the chance to meet the god Wisam and browse his land of knowledge. Since such a feat is out of my league, I'll settle for the run-down library in the land to the south of Arcadia that this will probably end up at. This will be a live journal of my exploration of Arcadia, written using my blessed eyes. By combining the powers of their photographic memory and the ability to create pocket realities, I am able to write this book in real time and create a physical copy once my journey ends. That being said, this might be coming to an early end.

 

The desert sand was coated with a red glow, driving home the dangerous levels of heat. Not even cacti grew this far in. I wouldn't come across water until I reached the Western front, but even my magic eyes couldn't see it's relief.  Washed up from the east, I was teased by the sea's undrinkable water I now dreamt of. I stored some just in case but ended up using it to cool down. This wasn't the wisest decision on my part.

 

To make it easier to go on, I stripped down to the bare minimum. I carried my two blades and wore a torn piece of cloth around my waist. There was no time to prepare beforehand. I was thrown right into the Sere Desert.

 

My walk slowly became a chaotic stumble. A fall here and there. The thought of giving up ran through my head. Since I started writing it been at least 2 days. I can conclude one thing about the Sere, the legend is true. They say that the sun will stay up day round. This has proven true, I haven't seen a night since I've got stranded. I could only wish for the sun to set.

 

With the sun still peering in the sky, I feel it's not the only thing watching over me. With my magic eyes, I can see it in the distance. It's a dragoon! If you're unaware, a dragoon is a breed of dragon used for war. It's the size of a wolf with  4 legs, that 4 pairs of claws. They also come with teeth that can rip through armor. Its mouth is a void of heated mana, allowing it to 'eat' almost anything and right now it was stalking me.

 

It's a surprise to me that a dragoon would be out here alone. These mutts are a war breed of a dragon, domesticated by humans. The Dinast's kingdom is the only ones who use them but they aren't brave enough to trek through the Sere.

 

The dragoon followed my every move like a vulture, waiting for me to give up. This sparked a flame inside of me, a new will to live. If I'm going to die, it won't be to a cowardly dragoon.  

 

I have an idea, If I can bait it in and kill it, I'll be able to eat it. I've been on this planet 24 years and I'm sure that's the most barbaric thing I've ever come up with. So that's what I'm doing. I gave it a few hours to watch me stumble around. I slowly transitioned to a crawl before lying motionlessly, sword in hand of course.

 

I watched from above. it was cautious but hungry for a meal to restore its mana. The scaly dragoon circled around my body, getting closer every loop. After positioning itself at my head, he began to shake violently. I thought that it might have been a shapeshifter and was taking it true form, but I was wrong. It was charging a spell.

 

Before I could react the beast launched a fireball at my hand. I open my eyes and pull my hand in. I had barely dodged it, but the spell turned my sword a bright red. The heat was too much to bare so I had to drop it.

 

The dragoon was already charging at me and I panicked. I had forgotten all about my other blade. With a leap the dragoon sunk its teeth into my flesh. A jolt of pain ran through my body. Before it could start to rip and tear my arm apart, I jammed my hand inside its eye socket. There was no pupil, only a mass of mana that formed its sensory sphere. In one motion I both squeezed and tugged it. The orange sphere dissipated. The creature freed my arm and let out an echoing chime. I grabbed both my swords and jam one into each of its eye sockets as quick as possible, so to not be burned.

 

The collision of the swords ignited an explosion from inside the dragoon's body. There wasn't much force applied so it was a small one. This damaged its core and caused the wounded beast to cave in. What was left was all scales taken from a real dragon I presume. I had wasted energy trying to attain the meat of a dragoon just to find out that they have none. Noted.

 

I tear a huge piece from my robe bottom and wrap my arm up. It doesn’t look too good. I must have been going off pure adrenaline and as that wore off the world became a blur. I remember trying to walk and stumbling in the sand. That's when I saw a savior, I can't tell you how they looked but I had to leave my life in their hands.  I don't know if it was the adrenaline wearing off or my excitement to see someone else out here but I couldn't move anymore. I just... fell.

0