Step 1 – Chapter 2 (UPDATED 17/01/2022)
31 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Frederick glared at the small trunk that housed his personal items. Or what were to be his new personal items anyway. The clothes that were packed tightly together were rougher than the finery he was used to and much blander in colour. He had managed to wake up before his usual morning call and dress in his usual clothes, much to the frustration of his butler. It was not much of a victory, but one he found no small amount of joy in. The scathing lecture was worth it in the end.

He didn’t understand why his parents wanted to send him away. Their excuse was that they wanted him to recover from his recent sickness, but he knew there was more to it. He was used to his mother’s free spirit and unpredictable whims, but his father was usually far more pragmatic. What sense could there be in sending the crown prince, the only person to carry the royal blood other than his father, away to some farm? If they wanted him to get some fresh air there were no small amount of summer houses they could send him. Or even better they could let him visit his mother’s home country to spend time with his grandfather.

But no, they would send him to a farm that isn’t even too much of a distance from the palace.

A small exasperated sigh escaped his lips as he rubbed circles into his temples.

“That’s exactly how I thought you’d feel about it,” Liam chuckled softly from his place on the bed.

Most people would be reserved around him, but not Liam. They had been friends for a number of years now - the only person in the world Frederick had to reach out to rather than have them fawn all over him like the other noble children he’d met. Liam was shy and soft-spoken, but he excelled in his lessons and was proficient in magic. He’d make an excellent duke when he took over from his father, although in truth that wouldn’t be a difficult thing to do.

“You don’t have to be able to sense my emotions in order to figure that much out.” Frederick crossed his arms and turned to his friend. “What are they plotting do you think?”

Liam shrugged. “Personally I thought your mother made some good points.”

“How so? Surely if she wanted me to get better she would send us both to one of the country manors. But no, she is sending me to somewhere I have never been. In the company of a duke’s daughter?”

It was impossible for him to hide the vitriol in his voice. Although she had told him many times that he didn’t need to consider such things at his young age, it was no secret that many nobles wanted their daughters to befriend him in hopes they would one day wed. He had never thought that Levin would be one of those people, but perhaps he was. Surely Liam’s father would be doing the same thing if he had a daughter.

But marriage wasn’t something he even wanted to consider yet. When he was older he would find someone, since it was important for him to carry on the royal bloodline. From the moment he was born he was told how important it was that he marry one day, and every noble girl in the country wanted to be the one he chose. Why would this one be any different?

In fact, it wasn’t much better for the boys. They were told to be his friends so that he could one day give them more power, to keep them in his confidence. So many friendships he had were false, based on the demands and expectations of the adults around him.

Not Liam, though. He had tried to disobey his father’s demands to be friends with the prince. And Frederick certainly felt that he was friends with the person he was and not the title he held. It didn’t really matter to Frederick who his wife would be so long as he kept Liam as a friend.

His thoughts trailed back to his unwanted holiday. He didn’t really believe that it had anything to do with his recovery. For one, his illness was not a natural one, so ‘fresh air’ would likely do very little to benefit him. And surely having to keep company with the daughter of a noble would be exhausting rather than enjoyable.

Would they even be able to do anything if he decided he wanted to? His mother was from a country some distance away. It was hotter than his, with beautiful beaches and plants that couldn’t be found anywhere in his home country. The features he inherited from his mother made him stand out amongst the nobility around him. Even comparing himself to Liam, who had pale skin and hair, and even paler eyes. Frederick had darker skin, though lighter than his mother’s. His hair was coal-black too. Only his eyes were similar, and perhaps the only way in which he resembled his father. People would realise that he wasn’t typical amongst them, and perhaps the wiser ones would be able to figure out who he was.

“Even if you’re right to be nervous, some time away from the palace might do you some good. Being able to act like others our age isn’t a chance we get often.”

“The girl might be fine,” Frederick mumbled before taking a deep breath and speaking clearly. “But Father knows there are people after my life. How is it safer for me there than here? What are the knights going to do; sleep with the pigs?”

Liam laughed heartily, which helped to relieve some of the tension Frederick didn’t realise he had been holding. It was pointless to worry about it; his parents were going to make him go no matter how many times he objected. At the very least he knew that they wouldn’t easily forgive anyone who would try to harm him. Part of him was still frustrated. It didn’t seem very fair to put the girl at risk too.

Then an idea sparked in his mind. If he were to make her angry with him, then she might be able to send him home. Or, at the very least, she wouldn’t want to spend any time with him and they would be able to put all the unpleasantness behind them once he goes home.

Frederick turned to tell his friend about his brilliant idea but slammed his mouth closed when he noticed the deep purple bruise that was scarcely hidden by Liam’s clothes. Liam met his widened eyes with his usual placid smile and resigned shrug.

“I didn’t do very well in my lessons last week. Father was very disappointed with me.”

“I always do terribly in my dance lessons but my father never hurts me. Should I-”

“You know there’s nothing you can do about it, Eric. My father has power second only to the king, and it would be bad if he lost his position. For everyone.” Liam rested his head on his knees, looking like a wounded animal. “Besides, even if I could be taken away he’d probably kill my mother. I don’t want that.”

Frederick dug his nails into his palm as he ground his teeth. The first time he saw the cuts and bruises on Liam’s body, he marched right to his father and demanded the duke be published for his treatment of his son. But his father, the king, refused to do anything. He was powerless to do anything. A stupid argument for someone who could change the laws as he saw fit. And thanks to Frederick’s foolish actions, Liam’s bruises increased in amount and colour the next time they met. One day Frederick would make sure the count was punished for what he did to his friend.

“Did you get his permission to come here today?” Frederick asked softly, afraid of what the answer might be.

“My father is not at the mansion today. Mother made sure I could come.”

“Why would you do that? You’ll be punished!”

Liam nodded. “But I won’t get to see you for a couple of months when you leave, so I wanted to see you no matter what.”

The sudden knock on the door made Frederick swallow what he wanted to say. He looked away as Levin and Evalia, the duke and his wife, entered his room. Their faces were expressionless in much the same way they always were. He knew them well enough to know that Levin, at the very least, was greatly enjoying the situation.

Evalia’s face brightened when she noticed Liam still sitting on the bed. She made no secret that she was especially fond of him. He was easy to get along with, and he was polite to everyone no matter what their social standing, so it was hardly surprising that she liked him.

Still, Frederick couldn’t help but narrow his eyes at them. They were good friends with his parents, so it must have felt natural to them to offer their daughter’s company to him. Frederick didn’t know why their daughter didn’t stay with them, but instead with Levin’s mother. He realised that he probably knew her parents better than she did. That was a little sad.

“Are you ready to go, Your Highness?” Levin asked with his usual placid smile.

“It doesn’t matter if I’m ready or not, I have no choice,” Frederick grumbled.

Levin opened his mouth, no doubt for a lecture on his tone and the proper way for a prince to behave, but stopped himself when he realised his wife wanted to say something.

“Don’t worry. Lily is a sweet girl, you’ll like her.” Evalia looked at him fondly, although he wasn’t sure if that expression was because of him or her daughter.

He was fond of his them. Sometimes he considered them as his second parents since he saw them on almost a daily basis. They were so close, in fact, that Levin never let his bad attitude slip by him, and Evalia was very gentle in her guidance. 

Finally, the servants flooded the room as they gathered the items that had been prepared for Frederick’s time away. Levin turned to his wife and smiled adoringly at her.

“Come now, my dear, it’s time we leave.”

“I’ll walk with you to the carriage,” Liam said as he carefully pushed himself off the bed, wincing slightly when he stood on his left foot.

Frederick helped him stand. “Perhaps you should rest instead.”

Liam shook his head and righted his posture. With a quick nod at Evalia and Frederick, he marched out of the room. They soon chased after him and convinced him to walk at a slower pace, and Liam didn’t show any sign that he was in pain.

They spoke of many things as they strolled down the hall side by side. Part of him wanted to take Liam with him, but that likely would never be allowed. Besides, the house he would be staying in was small enough, or so Levin had told him.

Frederick chewed on his bottom lip as he prepared himself for the trip. He didn’t relish the idea of being rude to his hosts, but there were no better options for him. They only needed to endure him for a short time, until they grew frustrated enough that they sent him back. Then they could all forget that it ever happened, and all would be right with the world.

Liam joined his mother as Frederick got into the carriage. It was not one that was noticeably belonging to the royal family, but it wouldn’t fool anyone who already knew about it. That was confirmation enough that his father knew exactly what he was doing. Frederick hit the back of his foot against his seat. Levin frowned at him but didn’t chastise him. Perhaps he was hoping he would settle down before they arrived.

But he wouldn’t.

He promised himself that he would carry his frustration with him every day until he got home.

4