Chapter Three: Lythian
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She ate the first thing they put in front of her and didn't bother asking what it was. It didn't matter to her that she vomited it up a few minutes later, at least she was eating something, even if she couldn't yet keep it down. She suspected that it would be a long time before she could walk without assistance. A healer had come and cleaned up the wounds on her wrists and ankles where the shackles had been and the girl had done her best to clean and bind the wounds on her back too, even if she knew her back likely wouldn't heal anytime soon. She had gotten to bathe, the water was cold and her wet hair set her teeth chattering but she was clean, the dirt and grime and blood from the mines washed away at last. She was free, the chains were gone and she was free. Her tent was full of blankets and pillows, more than one person, especially in a camp where resources were not common enough, should have. But whenever she complained about it to Elexis she just said

"Lythie, you're recovering and you need to be comfortable and cared for." any protests that she was getting better were quickly brushed aside when Elexis would give a pointed look to the bucket of vomit in the corner.

That night when she was half asleep she heard a familiar voice outside her tent singing, it sounded like a song of mourning. But the tone was bittersweet, like even though they had lost something they had gained something too. The next morning Lythian had gathered her strength and crawled to the tent flaps, opening them just wide enough. When she peaked out she saw a thick grey string tied to one of the tent polls.

Lythian was now wrapped in layers of warm furry blankets watching the fire flicker in the lantern in her tent. It was cold but she was spared the cold wet ground by the wooden floors of the tents, made especially to protect against the cold and damp earth.

Outside she could hear the patter of small feet running around followed by larger ones.

"Fionn get back here!" She heard a woman call, followed by the giggling of a little boy, presumably Fionn. "I told you to put the sword down!" the woman called again. What was going on out there?

Lythian crawled over to the tent flaps and poked her head out of her tent and found a little boy, five or six with a head of messy blonde curls, running round with what appeared to be a small sword. Chasing behind him was a round woman with skin the color of cinnamon who looked tired but slightly amused. The boy halted to put his foot on top of a crate and pose with the sword held high like a great hero, declaring

"I am Sir Fionn the brave!" The women behind him caught up to him after a second and after snatching the dagger and handing it off to a nearby rebel she picked up the boy as he squirmed and decreed that "No brave warriors should be treated in such a manner!" Lythian gave a little chuckle before retreating back into her tent.

She looked back at the lantern on the floor, the fire flickering inside. She sat down again leaning over and getting as close to the fire as possible without burning herself or the blankets.

The fire was so beautiful and she marveled at how when she used her air to feed the flames it grew bigger and brighter but how when she withdrew it she could starve the flame for air until it was a mere ember. It was kind of like her. Until a few hours ago she had been bound by the iron tattoo, starved for her magic, for air. She had shriveled, especially when she had been in those mountains, in the mines, when she couldn't see the stars or the sky. She felt an odd kinship with the little fire before her. This little fire, so bright and vibrant and determined, like the little boy who so wanted to be a hero, and like someone else too. Ana, the sister she had once known.

Where was she now? Was she somewhere in these rebel camps? Had she escaped and left the empire? Was she out there somewhere wandering the world believing Lythian dead? She hoped wherever Anatia was, that she wasn't so starved as the flame before her now. She hoped that Ana was burning as big and bright as she had all those years ago.

1