Chapter 7: Hoodlums on the road who aren’t very nice
20 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was only so much distance I could cover with a person in my arms while wearing heavy gear, especially after I ran so much before. The enemy was not far behind, so stopping wasn't an option either, but I'm already so tired.

"Leave me be!" Elric says as he lets go and drops to the ground.

"You're going to get killed."

"You might as well leave me to my faith. After all, even the gods have abandoned me. Not to mention, I am your enemy."

"I don't care about that. Come on."

"It is dishonorable of me to be helped by the enemy. I should just accept my-"

"Crap, they're here." Not only did they catch up to us, but I see more soldiers in front of us. We're surrounded on both fronts.

The backup had pulled out their bows and arrows and starting firing. I cover my face, even though there was no point. I simply brace myself for the end.

AGH!

OH!

OW!

Wait, the arrows aren't hitting us. In fact, the arrows are flying above us, hitting the evil knights!

With a vigorous roar, the new arrivals run past us as they go to confront the enemy. Now that I look at them, they were wearing silver armor with green cloth on. These were different than the ones behind us.

One knight approaches us, "You must be Sir Same Manuals. Thank the gods that we have reached you in time."

"Who are you guys?"

"The Royal Guard of Onyun, in service of the Priestess. But enough for now, let us haste while my men deal with the enemy."

He picks me up and we were about to leave, but I tell him, "Wait, take him too."

"Him?"

"Trust me."

Without wasting time, two more men pick him up and leave the fighting to the rest. I look back and see not just knights but even sorcerers, blasting magic all over the forest. Trees and rocks were exploding from magical blasts, while the black knights were smashing anyone whom they can get to. But soon this scene would be pulled away from me as we reach a regular wagon full of hay.

"Onto the wagon sir."

I figured there was no time to wonder about things as I just hop in. Upon Elric being placed inside, the wagon starts riding off.

"Take off your armor sirs, and please put these on." We were handed a pair of peasant clothes to put on. Not knowing what to do at this point, I put one on, and despite him being injured, Elric does the same.

I can hear the roar of battle from the far distance now dying down. Looks like we managed to escape as we continue to head towards Stephanie. I take this chance to ask, "Who are you, anyway?"

"Forgive me for not introducing myself," said the stranger, "I am Wilhelm, Head Guard to Priestess Aegis. We got word from Major Abode that you were on your way over, but our spies had informed us that one of the Overlord's sects was in travel. We feared for your life and came to your rescue. I am thankful that we made it in time."

"If you could've picked me up, why wasn't I escorted instead?"

With a confused look on his face, he tells me, "Well... It did not occur to me that you needed an escort since Major Abode isn't too far from here. Priestess Aegis also spoke highly of you, so we were certain you could take care of yourself, but we didn't anticipate one of the Overlord's sects being in this area."

"Well, putting that aside, how is Stephanie doing?"

"The Priestess is our Kingdom's Guardian. We are blessed to have a visitor with such power to protect us."

"She wouldn't happen to have some chips on her, would she?"

"Oh, you mean the Divine Crisps. She did indeed. It was those crisps that have given her the strongest magical abilities out of any magic-user in all of Crum."

So Steph has magic? That's pretty amazing. Despite all my time here, I still can't believe I'm living in this new world, where eating chips can make you the strongest. Huh... what a ridiculous thing to say.

The wagon eventually slows down, even though we're nowhere near any town.

"Sir Manuals, do not say a word. There are ruffians ahead."

Approaching the wagon were a group of strong-looking men and they all looked pretty roughed up. The biggest one with a large beard spoke, "So, what will it be?" he asks.

"We are merely going to town to sell our hay at the market," Wilhelm tells him.

"Is that so? Is it only hay?"

"Aye, it is. You may check if you wish."

The big guy nods his head to the side and the others start searching the wagon. They had their hands everywhere going through the bundles of hay. and one of them was right next to me.

ch7.png

A really skinny guy with eyes bulging out. It's like he hasn't eaten anything in weeks. He looked like a mess.

He sees our armor and weapons and with a disgusting voice asks, "Whose armors this?"

Wilhelm answers, "Behind us was a great battle being fought by the Overlord's men and some knights. I decided to take a few of them with me to sell at the market."

"I wants it!"

"I would not touch it. It's cursed armor."

The skinny guy hisses and backs away quickly. He goes up to his leader, "I dunt liek curses armor."

"I'm sure he's telling a lie," answers the leader, "but still, I did hear the Overlord's men are close by. I don't want to deal with them. If there is nothing of value, then pay us 100 gold coins."

"Yes, of course," replies Wilhelm.

"No's sirs!" says the skinny one, "I can smells it! The crispies!"

"Are you sure?"

"I smells it, I does."

Their leader looks at us with a suspicious look. But after a moment, he simply says, "Forget the toll. We need to leave before the Overlord's men catches us. On your way, peasants." With that order, they all back off and we continue on our journey.

When the coast was clear, I ask Whilhem, "They don't look so tough. Why don't you fight them?"

"Because they found a bag and may have found more. Who knows how strong they are."

"A bag of chips?"

"Yes, sir. Ever since you arrived, the entire world of Crum has been in fervor. Bags of these Divine Crisp have scattered throughout the four corners. Men of ambition venture to find even one single crisp. They are so powerful, so coveted, they drive men mad. I swear to you, I see many young adventurers leave with hope and joy, only to eventually be succumbed to the power of the crisps. Those that find them are obsessed with consuming them while their peers grow jealous. Fights have broken out between allies over them, Kingdoms that stood for centuries have crumbled, and the hearts of today's men have blackened, all because of a few edibles.

"But to them, it is worth it because their power is so great, anyone would be a fool to pass up the chance to get one. Those hoodlums may not look tough, but they have incredible stats. We've had trouble dealing with them in the past. That is why we simply allow them to do as they please."

"I'm sure you know that I ate some of them."

"We know, sir, but you are tired and need rest. Do not worry about them, let us just head on to the city, where you may speak to the King, and then the Priestess."

Sorry if I haven't been active lately but I'm going through some stuff right now. I'm still working on the story but I won't be communicating for a while. I hope that in the next few days or next week, I'll be back to being active on Scribble Hub. Thank you for checking out my story and I hope you look forward to its continuation.

1