Chapter 05 – I want to train!
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- Bring that block over there, little Corlin - Said uncle Veril.

- Will do, uncle - I responded.

I had been carrying wooden blocks for more than 6 hours now, I could feel my t-shirt soaked in sweat and my arms were also aching by now.

- That's enough for today - Said Gair, loudly.

'Finally' I think to myself.

- Y'all, come and get your food, everyone worked hard today - He kept going.

And so we began to line up, everyone was polite and it didn't take long before the complete line was formed.

- Ohh, little Corlin, what about your mother? Why didn't she come? - Asked Veril, standing just behind me in the line.

- Mother went to the woods, Uncle. Today she planned to hunt some animals for our dinner - I replied.

Uncle Gair distributed two big loaves of bread to each person standing on the line, everyone would collect their bread with a smile so big that even I, standing behind them, could faintly see. They would soon go home, as if they were in a rush to eat their heart's content.

And soon enough, I was the next in line to receive the bread.

- Thank you, Uncle! - I said, trying to show a firm attitude.

- Mm - He nodded.

For three weeks I had been helping some of the uncles in the village for the Moonlight festival's preparation in the morning all the way up to the early afternoon, a few hours after the sun reached its top.

As soon as we finished our duties at the village center, carrying pieces of construction blocks and chopping wood, I would start training with Aisla. Everyday we would go to our house's backyard and would only stop when mother came back home.

And today was no different.

- Corlin.. are you sure you want to train today? We worked a lot today, that could also be considered as training, and we also didn't eat much.. - Aisla spoke to me, on our way home.

I took a moment to think about it. It was true, my hands were already numb and I felt fatigue all over my body.

Why should I force myself?

It's not like I'm gonna get more food or anything in exchange for my training.

In fact, I would only consume the little energy I still have!

As soon as I opened my mouth to answer my sister, I could see with the corner of my eyes Uncle Gair heading to his home.

Well, we worked hard carrying the blocks of woods, no doubts. But Uncle Gair was the one carrying almost half of a tree on his back, back and forth from the woods.

Last night he stood up the entire night to guard our village, and I knew he would do it again tonight, and still, I didn't hear him complaining about his arms or his legs.

I didn't hear anyone praising him, or even thanking him for all that matters.

Yet, he was there.

- Aiai, it's fine if you rest, but I'm gonna train! - I said resolutely.

When I turned my head to face her, she was different. I couldn't tell why or what had changed, but her eyes weren't the same when looking at me.

She kept walking for a few seconds, in silence.

Only then did I hear her voice.

- Don't you worry about me, Corlin. But you better punch harder than yesterday, or I might just fall asleep.. - She said, with a smile on her face.

Getting home we left the bread on the counter and ran outside, to the backyard.

We trained the same breathing technique for what seemed to be forever and only after a long time I heard something different than breathing noise.

- Come on in, Corlin - My sister said.

And so I wasted no more time, I rushed forward and soon my fist was already tightened, aimed at my sister's ribs.

She, of course, didn't wait for my punch. Soon enough she had already leaped to the right.

I saw the moment that she landed on the ground and quickly raised her foot to hit me.

I could see it! Finally! It's been days that I've been getting hit by this same movement, and today, I was finally able to follow it with my eyes.

But shit, too fast to dodge. 

Her kick came in full force to the side of my stomach. I could instantly feel a tear squeezing out of my eye.

But today I was better prepared.

As soon as my sister's foot was about to leave my body, I held it tightly and with the little strength I had left and threw her body to the ground.

I made it! She was on the ground for the first time!

I am not sure what exactly improved, but I wasn't able to do something like this a few weeks ago.

- You two, come in! It's getting dark already.. - I heard my mother's voice coming out of our house.

I had distracted myself for just a second, and in the moment I looked back at Aisla, her fist was the only thing my eyes could see.

- I told you this before. You should never be distracted in the middle of a fight - She giggled.

- Now we can go - She added.

1