Chapter Nine: The Hideout
53 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sam led the way to the gang’s safe house. As they walked, the pair passed though many mostly deserted corridors. They only passed one solitary wanderer, until they reached the outskirts of a populated zone. Vincent recognised the area and like most merchants, he had travelled this way before. It led to one of the still semi functioning towns in this area. The place was fondly known as Dissolution. It spanned ten levels and several sections across an open space that split it in two. It was once a pleasant and well-kept area of Palehost, but it couldn’t be called that now.

As they drew nearer to Dissolution, they begun to pass more and more people, all just going about their business. None of them gave the pair a second look. The real change came as they turned into one of the many side sections. It was a slum area, even for a lost zone you could tell at first sight. There were intoxicated people sleeping off their high on the side of the street. They were dotted about all along the corridor, just lying in amongst the discarded items and rubbish that lined the hallway. Somewhere up ahead most likely dealt in the unscrupulous supply of illicit substances.

“We’re getting close. I don’t know if this is one of their main hideouts, or just one of many, but the place where I was held is just up ahead.” Sam said as they walked further into the section.

“I doubt it’s their only hole. Let’s just hope it’s the only one we have to search.”

“What’re you going to do once we get there?”

“Walk in and have a chat. If you’re family and my friends are there, then I’ll bring them back out with me. That’s the plan anyway.”

“Do you think you’ll be able to do that, just by talking with them?”

“No, but it’s the best way to start.”

“You know they wouldn’t hesitate to kill someone that gets in their way, and they don’t even know you. If they even let you inside, it’ll be a miracle.”

“I’ve seen how they operate… I’ll get inside and look around, don’t worry. You should wait for me out here.”

“I should come with you.”

“No. It’ll be easier for me if I go alone.”

“You might not just be a merchant, and you have that gun, but these people they’re barely human. Whatever they say you shouldn’t trust them… I really think I should come with you. I want to help find those kids and my family it’s the least I can…”

“No, I’m going alone. Just trust me about this.”

“But…”

“Look take this. If I don’t return, get as far away from here as you can and activate that. Someone will come for you. They might be able to help you if you tell them about me.” Vincent said passing a small device to Sam.

“You are planning to come back, aren’t you?”

“I am.”

“Fine then, I’ll wait here. Their building is at the far end of this section, the door on the left. You’ll know it when you see it.”

“Thanks.”

Leaving Sam behind, Vincent pressed on down the corridor towards the end of the section. There were more and more comatose people crashed out to the sides the closer he got. Their source was more than likely the same place as he was heading. At the end of the section, he reached the door that Sam had mentioned. It had been modified and reinforced. There was peep hole cut into the door, just knocking probably wouldn’t get him inside, not when they didn’t know his face. There was a control panel to the side, his first thought was to test his access. He tapped in the override code that Dwight had used to access his apartment the other day, but the panel wouldn’t even activate. He would need to find another way inside. He looked along the corridor, something told him that he wouldn’t have to wait long for an opportunity to walk over.

There was a large container a short way from the door and seeing as there was only comatose users nearby, Vincent made his move. He leant his rifle against the container and sat down in front of it. Slumping himself against the wall, he closed his eyes and waited. Hopefully he just looked like another addict, that couldn’t wait to get home for their fix and crashed out at the side of hallway. Before long he heard footsteps approaching. He peeped out of the corner of his eye and saw a rather strung out looking young man step up to the door. Two knocks, then three, then two again. The young man fidgeted as he waited for an answer. Then the peep slot slid open. Recognising the man standing there, the person on the other side unlocked the door and pulled it open. The young man stepped inside. Seeing his chance Vincent jumped to his feet and darted across the corridor. He managed to get a foot inside before it closed and pushed the door open.

“Who the fuck are you?” The large and balding man shouted from down the corridor.

The young man that had entered in front, turned back towards Vincent in a panic.

“He’s not with me I swear!” He said putting his shaking hands up in the air.

“Woah, calm down both of you. I’m a customer, I was hoping we could do some business.” Vincent said while holding his hands out in front of him trying to look as non threatening as possible.

“You’re a customer eh… Then why didn’t you knock first like everyone else?” The balding man spat back.

“Oh, my bad. I just saw you opening, so I stepped inside. I thought you’d be expecting me anyway.”

“And why’d I be expecting you?”

“I heard you had some new merchandise in. I spoke to the boss, he said I could have the first look.”

“Did he now? What merchandise is this exactly?”

“Well, is it okay for us to talk about this in front of him? I doubt it’s common knowledge.” Vincent said tilting his head at the young man a short way in front of him.

“He’s a regular, so you just say why you’re here before I lose my patience.”

The balding man had already slipped his hand onto the small particle rifle he had hanging off his shoulder. Vincent didn’t want this to turn into a fight. The young man in front of him was barely an adult, and he didn’t appear to be one of their gang. Probably just another of their customers, like the other unfortunates strewn all along the corridor that led to this place.

“Well, if you’re sure… The raid yesterday, you should’ve taken in a couple of interesting specimens. I’d like to take a look. That’s if they’re here?”

The man barely waited for Vincent to finish his sentence. He swung his weapon up and opened fire. It was only quick reactions and sharp senses, that saved him from being hit. He’d dived back and taken cover behind a crate at the side of the hallway. There were fresh holes melted through it, just a fingers width above Vincent’s head. He could smell burning flesh, but the lack of pain told him it wasn’t his. A glance to his right soon told him what had happened, as he saw the pool of blood extending across the floor from the young man’s corpse. He didn’t even hesitate to shoot through him! Vincent gripped his rifle hoping for a chance to shoot back.

“Boss hasn’t told no one about that. There’s only one buyer of those goods and that isn’t you!” The balding man said, his heavy footsteps slowly getting closer.

There was no guarantee that Vincent wouldn’t be hit if he rolled into the corridor and opened fire. Then again, the crate wasn’t any protection, and another round of fire would likely result in him taking damage. As his mind raced for the best course of action, he noticed another smell mixing in with the burning flesh, like burnt solder. He braced himself, ready to spring out as the man approached. A loud crack stopped him in his tracks, while blood with fragments of skull splattered across the floor. The balding man crashed to the floor with a thud, sending the pool of blood flying in every direction. What the hell!? Vincent waited a moment, listening for a sign as to the cause of the man’s demise. He was met with silence. He bit his lip and jumped up from behind the crate, his gun trained down the corridor.

What he saw took him by surprise enough to dip his weapon. In front of him stood a jet black haired beauty. She wore the white uniform of the crew. It was somehow still immaculately free of blood despite the carnage. She was casually flicking her wrist, while checking there were no pieces of the man’s skull attached to her glove. Her attention then turned to Vincent, who was standing still, open mouthed a short distance in front of her.

“Phew! The reception is so patchy down here. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to make it inside.” She said looking at Vincent with a beaming smile across her face.

“Maya!” Vincent said finally getting a grip on the situation.

It took four point six four seconds for an object the size of Maya to be teleported across Palehost. That was longer than any naturally occurring organism could survive being in pieces. This wasn’t something that was a problem for her.

“Yes… This isn’t the time for you to relax, there are more of them on the way.”

As she spoke the door to the side opened and a burley looking thug jumped out. Before he could even pull the trigger on his weapon Maya had swung around. The side of her forearm connected loudly with the front of his face. His head caved in, and he fell to the floor, dead. Maya side stepped and lunged towards the open door. Her hand reached inside and grasped she chest of the next occupant. She tilted her hips and swung, lifting him off his feet then pulling him out through the doorway. Following through, she slung him headlong into the wall at the far side of the hallway. The force of the impact shattered his spine and pushed his head inside his body between his shoulder blades. Seeing he was dead she dropped him on the ground.

“H-Hold on. I need some of them to be left alive. I’ve got questions they need to answer, and my friends might be inside!” Vincent shouted realising Maya was going to run through the entire gang, not leaving a single member breathing.

“Very well, might I borrow that? It’ll make it easier to limit their injuries.” Maya said gesturing towards the rifle in Vincent’s hands.  

“Sure.”

He slipped the strap off his shoulder and threw the rifle across the way. Maya plucked it out of the air with ease and slung it under her arm. As she brought it up to a firing position, another member of the gang leapt out from around the corner shooting as they went. A couple of their shots were on target, and they should have hit Maya. As the beam was about to reach her body it was refracted around her, hitting the walls to either side and melting through their surface. While they were still in mid air she fired back. Four shots, one through each knee and one through each hand. They landed hard on the floor their weapon sliding away from them. The man was screaming out in pain, but they were alive, albeit unable to stand or use their hands. At least they can still talk.

“You should stay back. There’s four more in the next room and I don’t want you getting hit in the crossfire.” Maya said, poised to step around the corner.

“Sure, I’ll hang back and cover you.”

Vincent had pulled out his side arm and had it trained ahead of him. He was trying to keep directly behind Maya and hopefully out of the way of any redirected fire.

“Hold on. If these are the ones from before, they could have weaponry that’ll penetrate your armour. Don’t let it hit you. They caused entire sections to be shut down in their last attack.”  

“In that case, I’ll avoid getting hit… I’m moving in.” Maya said as she stepped forward.

Around the corner there were four members of the gang, all armed ready and waiting for her. They had heard the commotion outside and had been lying in wait. At the first glimpse of her they opened fire and didn’t let up. She was, however, a step ahead. Running to the side of the room faster than they could take aim. She jumped and kicked off the wall into the middle of the room, spinning in the air as she went. The intense firefight was over in mere seconds. By the time she had spun back to her feet at the room’s far end, she had incapacitated all four of the men, their wounds now smouldering. Seeing that the fight was over Vincent ran into the room. There was no sign of Felicia or Milo, only the four members of the gang all moaning in agony. After looking around he realised there was only one last room to search in their hideout, the grimy looking door at the back of the room.

“What’s inside there Maya?” Asked Vincent.

“I’m not sure, I can’t get a clear reading.”

“Can you open it?”

“Of course, one moment.” Maya said with a smile as she approached the door.

After a couple of seconds tampering with the modified locking mechanism, the final door lurched open.

2