Decision Day
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Long long ago...well, a decade ago actually back before humans won supremacy over all the other races-"

"Will you hurry up? We already know that part. Get to the part about the great general!" A little redhead whines, rocking back and forth on his seat.

"Cassian, you're always impatient. Sit quietly and listen to the story!" A snobbish looking girl retorts, her blonde pigtails bobbing as she stands up, turning to face the boy who interrupted. 

"I want to hear about the general too." A shy sounding voice sounds from the side.

"Yeah, me too!"

"Yeah!" One by one the voices of the children all clamor in agreement. Looking at their faces, the pigtail girl sits back down with a "hmph".

"Alright, alright, now settle down children. If you all want to hear about the general, I'll tell you about the general." The old bearded story teller says, waving his hands to calm the children. They all cheer except Trevon who doesn't like speaking or making noise in big groups, or at all really. However, his large, dark eyes sparkle with excitement like all the other children's' and he leans forward, his thick fluffy afro bouncing. 

"Alright, now where was I? Ah yes, the general. At the time the humans were fighting their greatest and final foe in their path to gaining supremacy over the intergalactic universe...the zerg." Gasps echo around the room.

"The zergs may not have been as clever or mighty as the humans but they had their own weapons: their bodies covered in impenetrable plate like armor and a deadly poison no man has ever survived. Therefore the humans, for all their cleverness and prowess, were unable to eradicate them until..."

"The BLACK GENERAL!" The children cry, their eyes sparkling and, for once, Trevon speaks with them.

"Ha, ha, ha, yes the mighty Black General in his distinctive all black mech armor who discovered that the zerg were impenetrable everywhere...except in their mouths. Of course, that's also the most dangerous place since that's where they spew their poison from. Naturally, this wasn't enough to bring the great general down. The general single handedly defeated zerg after zerg until he finally reached the queen. Capturing her in one fell swoop he gained control over all the zergs just like that!" The story teller snaps his fingers and the children all ooh and aah, Trevon being no exception. 

"Wow! So where is the general now? Is he fighting more monsters?" One kid asks excitedly.

"No stupid, haven't you heard this story before? The general disappeared." Pigtail girl sizes this chance to make a comeback.

"Ahem, it's not nice to call others stupid but...Leila is right. Immediately after defeating the zerg the general did disappear and no one has heard of him since. But! He has set an example for us as to how humans can use their intellect to triumph over other species! And one day maybe you all will follow in his footsteps and become great mech warriors or even generals yourselves...

BRIIIIIIIING! BRIIIIIIIING! BRIIII-

Bam. My fist slams down on the unceasing appliance. I roll over, groaning. Staying up till 2 AM studying a mech absolutely kills your back. Believe me, I'd know considering the number of nights I've done just that...and I still have no idea what I'm doing. I slowly sit up, shaking my head (unsuccessfully) to get a stray curl out of my eye. I really should cut it, but - as I tend to do with most things - I've procrastinated and now I have a giant ball of fuzz on my head. I'm basically a fuzzy tree.

I slowly crawl out of the warm blankets, my body creaking like a rusted machine as my mind flits back to my dream. To think, I'd go back to that scene. But it's not surprising, really, considering what day it is. I stretch, feeling my stomach muscles tighten. Yes, you heard me right. Muscles. For a soft-spoken, skinny, and rather gangly looking black dude you wouldn't think I'd have them...but I do. 

Everyone who knows it is surprised. They totally think I'm the type to curl up on a couch with a book and cats curled up at my feet...yeah, that's totally me. But what they forget is that I'm also a mech student: someone who's going to be a soldier on the frontline...well, that or an auxiliary or even a mech mechanic. But let's hope I don't have to go down those routes. At least...that's what today is about: Decision Day or D-Day for short.

Pulling my shirt down and grabbing my bag, I bend down to scratch my large orange tabby. 

"Hey girl, I'm heading out now. Wish daddy luck, okay?" She stands still for a second, before turning around with a swish of her tail, giving me a full view of her behind, dismissing her litterbox attendant. Well so much for the good luck...but then again I'd be worried if she acted any different. 

Turning, I push open the door to exit my apartment. Immediately, I step out onto a galactic bridge. The first few times I did this it freaked me out since I am from a pretty rural planet after all and walking, practically, on midair isn't the easiest thing to get used to. But now, I'm no longer a rural little boy who knows nothing, I'm a genuine intergalactic citizen. And, if fate permits it, I'll be an intergalactic soldier, proudly serving the universe soon enough.

...Fate did not permit it. I gaze at the holographic sheet in front of me, dumbfounded. 

Offers of Employment: 1

Position: Caretaker

Salary: 50,000 galactic coins

Only one offer of employment, that's not ideal but it's fine...holdup, what's with that position??? Ooh, that salary ain't bad-but that's besides the point! Why is the only position offered to me one I never even applied for nor studied???

"Professor, what's this?" I ask, pitifully turning towards the beak nosed, albino man sipping his tea behind me. 

"Your offer of employment." He replies.

"But-but, as a caretaker?"

"Why not? You'll be good at it...better than you ever were with mechs anyway." I open my mouth to retort yet, I've spent all twenty two years of my life never talking back to others and I can't start now. My mouth shuts with a snap. For a moment the office is silent, then my professor glances at me, probably sensing my displeasure which is likely thick enough to solidify by now.

"You don't want to?" I stare at him, my eyes conveying my clear refusal.

"Well then, I guess you'll miss the chance to find out the truth behind your precious general then."

"What?"

...And with that I'm slouching in an intergalactic carriage, headed for god knows where. He held out the bait and I took it...sigh...

0