Chapter 08: Old Acquaintances
281 9 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Why won’t you answer me?”

This time, when the voice comes, we trace it.

Even though it is coming from all our bodies, the truth is that the sound is reaching some of us some microseconds faster than others. Calculating this difference from all of us, we can pinpoint from where it’s coming from. We find that the origin of the voice is a man, sitting inside a house.

The man is completely immobile, staring at nowhere. We were inside his house before, and he wasn’t doing anything. His lips didn’t move once.

No time to waste in doubt.

A few of us get together and fly to his direction.

As expected, he shows a reaction from seeing so many of us together. But he doesn’t look afraid or surprised. He just keeps staring.

So, making half of a human head with our bodies, we vibrate and say:

“-What do you want?”

“-Well, is this rudeness really necessary? And I’ve already asked you, haven’t I? What are you doing here?”

Outside, some 50 feet away, Anna and us get closer to the ambush. Natalia is with her curved dagger and Sasha is with her short sword, reciting an enchantment. They will both be ready to attack in a few seconds.

We prepare ourselves to attack first if necessary. We fly closer to them, and quietly, start landing on their bodies. We would warn Anna at the last moment. That would be enough for her to dodge and counter attack. We can kill Felipe before he shoots, then focus on keeping the others of attacking her too many at a time. She would win, and we wouldn’t be exposed.

But it was a big risk. We would have to participate way more than what we used did.

While we think, the man gets impatient with our silent.

“Just answer me this, then. You entered this city with the Shinning Siblings. You are right now walking alongside that tough girl. Did you infiltrate their ranks?”

Infiltrate their ranks?  Why is this important for him?

Felipe is aiming an arrow at our head. He is waiting for us to get closer to the others Golden Hope members, to take advantage of the chaos. We prepare to fly into his throat and suffocate him to death.

“Yes.” We say. Not completely lying.

Then, suddenly, the man laughs. His face turns into a maniac grin and he starts laughing hysterically.

We can clearly see there’s nothing human about him when he does it.

“Of course you did. As always, your schemes are everywhere. It seems that this has been for nothing.

Felipe stops aiming at us. Natalia and Sasha sheathe their knives, Gregory his sword. All of their killing intention is gone.

What had just happened?

In front of us, the man gives a big smile.

No. It’s not a man.

It’s just pretending to be one.

What is it, then?

 “But I can’t say that I’m sad. You’re quite a nice surprise”. The creature says, staring at our little swarm.

He knows us. Somehow, he knows us from before we joined the Shinning Siblings. Before we were pretending to be human.

Does he know what we are, then? Our purpose here?

This is dangerous. He doesn’t only know us, he thinks we know him. He thinks we remember.

What will happen if he finds out we’ve forgotten? Would they try the ambush again? Would he attack us?

We should leave. It’s the safest path.

But this is also an opportunity. We just need to be careful.

“-What are you doing here?” we ask.

“-The same as always!” he answers, with a humorous face. “-Creating distrust! Sowing chaos! Playing with life!”

“- It seems like you’ve arrived too late this time” we answer.

He laughs again, and again his face deforms.

“-It’s true. But it’s only fair. Nanaliel can be everywhere and Nagandriel can be anyone, after all.

What?

“But don’t you worry. If you’ve already infiltrated the Shinning Siblings, I don’t need to be around here for long. I’ll be on my way, looking for my next mischievous”.

“Where are you going?” we say before he goes.

“Ohh, interested in others for once? And people say it’s impossible to change. Since my abilities are not needed here, I’m going to the proud city of Termareles, to handle some important matters.”

The capital of the country. Why would he go there? It’s way far from Wild territory. He would be surrounded by human civilization.

We can’t be sure of what exactly he is, but he’s too confident to be weak. Is he stronger than the Shinning Siblings? Would he have killed them, if he did what he wanted here?

Would we care? Would we expose ourselves to stop him?

Would we be able to stop him?

Deciding that the conversation is over, he gives one final smile and walk to the door.

 Before he leaves, though, he turns his head and looks straight at our little swarm. He stares at us for long seconds, then say:

“- Humans are no more. The Heralds shall thrive again. Make sure that none of their troops reach the cursed valley on time. It’s good seeing you, brother.” with that, he leaves.

Who the fuck are the Heralds? What the fuck is the cursed valley?

Did he just call me brother?

We watch him go, and we keep watching while he walks around the city, whistling.

In the middle of all those humans, no one takes a second glance at him. He is better than us, at pretending to not be a monster.

He walks until the end of the city and before leaving, he waves to us.

Will he just walk all the way to Termareles? That would cost him months.

It seems that he trusts us. Enough to leave and let we finish his job.

We and Anna finally arrive at our destination, and part ways. We go to our room, where we can pretend to be asleep while we keep observing the city, and she goes to her room, where she’ll pretend to be asleep and train.

We try to process the things we learned. He was here to infiltrate the Shinning Siblings. Or maybe just kill them, we can’t be sure. Somehow, the Golden Hope is working with him. And he was able to communicate with them instantaneously. Did he talk in their minds like he was doing with me? Was he controlling them? Now that he was leaving, what would change?

He also mentioned. Nanaliel and Nagandriel. And Heralds and the Cursed Valley.

And he called us brother.

There’s a lot of information missing. We should have asked more questions. But we would work with what we had.

Now, what should we do?

 

Alright guys, I hope you liked this chapter! I feel like so far, we had more like a prologue of the story. We got to know a little about our MC and each of the members of the Shinning Siblings, and the plot will finally move forward!

Do you have any favorite so far? Any guess of who the fuck was that man and what the fuck he was talking about? Let me hear your thoughts!

Ps: our publication schedule will change again, and will keep changing every week until I can find the best time to publish (just the time, it'll always be Tuesday and Thursday for now). Any suggestion is appreciated!

14