Chapter 13: Impressive Feats
349 6 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“-So, how are we doing this?” Asks Lucas

“-There are five of them waiting for us, but there are nine more hiding some distance away. They want us to attack” We say.

This gives some of them pause. Those are higher numbers than they were expecting.

Diego is the first to break the silence:

“-If that’s the case, then we’ll fall for it. We make sure to kill those 5 fast, before the others can join. Any way or another, we can’t let any of them survive. They’ve killed enough people already.”

There are some nods of confirmation and they all start getting ready. Soon, a simple strategy is created. An all-out attack, not giving the enemies enough time to react. Against that many Cyclops, it would be the best plan.

If the spider monkey creatures had decided to start attacking at this time, everyone would get surrounded, though. The hunters wouldn’t be able to eliminate the Cyclops on time, and our casualties would be high.

Good think we’d take care of that.

When everyone is ready, our assault begins.

Our main group rushes towards the monsters and we bite the creatures at the same time. We have just a few of us in each, to give our side a little edge on the battle. Every second that they react slower because of a small distraction, is a second that allows our group to kill them.

And of course, they use it.

Ronaldo throws his axe, and it goes flying straight into a Cyclops head. The creature dodges it, but it isn’t expecting the weapon to come back flying, and it dies with the axe buried on its nape.

A good trick indeed.

Before Ronaldo can call his axe back, Anna is already landing a punch on another of the creatures. The Cyclops doesn’t die, but it falls back and loses it weapon. The others try to grab her, but she moves too fast for it. In the meanwhile arrow’s from Rosa start coming, piercing Cyclops skin. Anna keeps dodging and spinning and none of the monsters are able to touch her. Until finally, the others arrive.

Diego cuts a Cyclops arm off and Douglas stabs it repeatedly through its chest. Amelia electrocutes one and Talia opens its throat with a fast slash. Mateus manages to break a Cyclops jam and Ronaldo tears it away with his axe. A crossbow bolt pierces a Cyclops gut, followed by a hammer strike on its head. The last surviving one already has two arrows stuck on its body and a lot of cuts from Lucas’s slashes, and it finished with a powerful hit from Anna on its face.

And just like that, the first group is dealt with.

The reinforcements are coming, screaming in mad rage. They wouldn’t get wiped away that fast, but our odds are still good.

The battle is chaotic but we trust them to be able to handle it. For the moment, our attention is focused elsewhere. There’s not much we can do to help with the Cyclops besides some occasional distractions.

So we make ourselves busy killing dealing with the second enemy. The monsters watching the fight right now, waiting to turn the table on their favor.

We didn’t ask for them to leave, of course. Even with all the respect those creatures were showing us, we doubted we could order them to just go back to wherever they came from without tasting some blood.

No, we told them to change their attack plan. We said it would be better to separate into three different groups, position themselves around the battle and wait for our signal.

The thing is, we don’t have enough of us to handle all of them precisely.

But if their numbers are separate, we can deal with a group of a time. Being so far for each other, they have no way of knowing what is happening with the other group.

The moment the fight with the Cyclops started we began our killing spree.

We focus first on the smaller group, the one that we sent to approach from the left. We have a few dozens of us in all of them with their permission to do it. We convinced them that by doing this, we would be able to know exactly where they were and we could coordinate everything, ensuring an efficient and deadly attack.

All true, of course. But the humans aren’t the ones receiving it.

We need to be quick, so we make sure to be as lethal as possible. First, we go for their eyes, which they have eight each. It is way easier to get closer to someone’s weak spots when we don’t need to hide while doing it. We munch their corneas, blinding all of them before they can react.

But that wasn’t enough. We need to finish them before they can even realize what we are doing. So even before we give our first bites, we start attacking from everywhere.

Hundreds of us were hidden on the grass, in places where they couldn’t see us. We’d positioned ourselves strategically before we’d taken the creatures there and made sure to have enough bodies to be able to overwhelm them completely.

They never stood a chance.

Most of us fly straight to their mouths, until all air is blocked on their throats. That would kill them within minutes, but that isn’t our goal. We just want to make sure none can cry for help. We can’t risk a single sound coming out, while we fly straight into their nostril and ears. We walk inward, talking bites all the way in. They try to stop us, of course, but it’s already too late. You can’t take us out without tearing your own head. You can’t stop us from eating you from the inside out if we manage to get in.

The monsters all die before they are able to do anything. Most probably died without even knowing they had been betrayed.

Why did they trust us so much?

What really are we?

We go to deal with the second group as fast as possible.

It takes us many seconds to go from one to another, but we’d ordered everyone to bide for our signal. They want to join the fight, but they’ll wait.

The sixth Cyclops dies while we get into position.

Diego takes his sword out of the stomach of the monster he killed with a spin, blocking a blow from a raging creature.

It was a well-known fact that Cyclops only travel with their families. Usually couples or siblings, but it could extend to any close blood relative.  They are way more attached to each other than other monsters.

They also would usually go berserk seeing a member of their family die.

For every one that you kill, you have to deal with the others getting stronger, faster and more resolute to get vengeance.

Literally. Their magic connects them together internally, activating those reactions.

The fight would only get harder and harder.

But still, another Cyclops die as Samuel breaks its neck with a blow from his hammer.

We arrive at the second group and we start the same procedure.

None of the creatures complain as we walk on their face, getting closer to their eyes. They don’t like it, of course, but they let we do it. We repeat the same attack, eliminating the possibility to escape, to call for help and to survive, one at a time. Efficiently and precisely.

Anna rolls to avoid being smashed by a powerful slam, gets on her feet and jumps so high that she’s able to punch the Cyclops right on its face. The creature stumbles and falls on his back, his eye hanging from his eyeball and is finished by Douglas. With the boost that Jane is giving him, he can cut through its flesh without a problem.

On their left, Mateus is thrown flying after trying to block a hit. A stupid decision. At least 4 of his bones were broken from the impact. Before he crashes on the ground, though, Rosa catches him and places his unconscious body besides Daniel. The same Cyclops tries to crush Talia, but before it gets a chance the creature receives an overpowering charge from Amelia. While it’s stunned, Ronaldo chops its head off.

Lucas plays with another one, dodging its strikes without difficulty. The creature starts getting angrier and angrier, but keeps hitting only empty spaces. It roars in fury, holds its club with its two hands and gives an inhuman fast blow, capable of squashing someone completely. Unfortunately for the monster, Lucas is standing safe some feet away from the place hit, smiling. Diego then comes from behind the creature and cut its torso in half.

Three less to worry about now. Only four to go.

“-When are we attacking?” The creature with the rock suddenly asks us.

“-Soon” We answer.

“-The humans almost finished killing all the Cyclops. It’s better if we assault before they can rest. Let us march and slay them.”

“-Not yet”

He doesn’t complain any further, but we can feel its impatience. Fortunately, we are ready.

For the third time, we begin our massacre.

This time, the monsters react a little faster, but not enough to change their doom.

Before the last Cyclops die with an arrow piercing its mouth, we finish killing the last of the spider creatures.

“-Yes, we did it. We are amazing” Shouts Ronaldo, grinning.

“-Oh, yeah. We are fucking amazing” Corrects Lucas, also grinning.

“-Good job, everyone. I couldn’t have asked for better.” Says Diego.

Mateus is on his feet, walking without a problem. Those are the perks off having such powerful healers around. He was the one that got the most injured, but still he is already fine. Dealing with 15 Cyclops and getting nothing more than a few bruises that would soon heal. Not a bad feat at all.

Not as incredible as dealing with two hundred and fifty seven monsters without anyone noticing, but still, not a bad feat.

Now we just need to hide the bodies before the others can notice it.

 

Another long fight! As some of you may have notice our publication schedule have been a little crazy those past few days, but one thing is certain: I'll never stop posting it! Not until the story is finished, at least.

If you are liking it so far please share your thoughts with me! As always, I love some feedback.

13