Chapter 2 (Origins Arc)
110 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“This mission” I stared at the first mission The Hero System gave me. I clicked my tongue again as I read it over again

Announcement
Investigate the events that lead to your hospitalization last night, locate the attacker. Deal with them through either legal means or otherwise

“Not a lot to go on” I said to myself, closing the window while opening up the power I decided to choose earlier “I suppose just a kitchen knife will work for this, it’s versatile at the very least”

Announcement
Knife Proficiency (Currently at Peak Human Level): You possess an uncanny aptitude with knives, able to accurately throw them and use them in both defensive and offensive ways. This ability is at the very peak of human ability currently. It can probably be pushed further by finding your own unique ways to wield knives, or focusing on a specific type of knife

“A specific type of knife huh?” I closed my eyes and quietly rested. The good thing about this system space was that while I was in it, I was technically sleeping. When I opened my eyes again, it was early morning. 

Both of my legs were in heavy casts and still very much broken, but it seems that in order to maximize my power, my entire fractured arm was healed at the very least. It was still sore, but it was better than nothing. I climbed off my bed and got into the wheelchair provided by the hospital. I rolled it to my kitchen and looked at my collection of knives. 

I wasn’t a knife collector, I didn’t have any weapons at all in fact. It was one reason why I chose knives. Afterall, it would be troublesome to buy a gun, I didn’t even know how that worked. A knife though, that was something anyone could get. It also wasn’t as collectable as a dagger. I didn’t plan on buying anything actually made for combat, to avoid suspicion.

I took out two different ‘knives’ one was a multitool knife, made for cutting rope and such for survival situations. It would be practical to carry around more, so I simply put it in my pocket for now. The other was a large chef’s knife. The longest and heaviest one I owned.

I picked up the simple knife and ran my finger along the top of it’s edge, my new knowledge told me just how dull this was. It was still good to cut vegetables, but it wouldn’t do good for cutting anything hard. I wanted to use this knife though. Something seemed primal and simple about just using a kitchen knife.

“If I want to focus on using a kitchen knife, should I go buy a whet-stone? I believe that’s what they are, yes” I nodded to myself. I took the time to remove the arm cast before rolling over to the scene of what happened for me to end up in the hospital.

Right in my kitchen was a window, and it was heavily boarded up. The glass was already cleaned up from the inside. According to the doctor I was believed to have jumped, but the fact remained that I did not.

It was late at night, and I unfortunately couldn’t see them, they also didn’t seem to be typical robbers. They were far too organized, and nothing was stolen. The front door was even relocked when I arrived back at my apartment earlier. 

I clicked my tongue, a low growl in my throat as I tried thinking harder. There had to be something noteworthy about them. I couldn’t remember the events clearly though. I sighed, I could investigate and think more later. There was someone I should just contact.

I ended up rolling out of my apartment and headed to my job. It was a simple one, working as a gas station clerk. I already knew when I arrived that my boss, the slightly competent one he was. Would ask me several times if I really still wanted to work. I told him that I was cleared by the doctor to work, not a total lie, as he did let me go.

I took my usual station, the early morning didn’t have many visitors. In Violet Ville, incidents weren’t commonplace. I took out my phone and began to quietly explore media apps as I waited. 

Right on cue, at exactly 9:30 in the morning, I heard the door open. I didn’t look up or ask anything at first, continuing to stare at my phone and wait.

“What the hell happened to you!” a voice asked, rather shrill if I had to admit. Still, I did need that sort of reaction from them.

I looked up to see a young woman in her early twenties, her face was rather rough and not smooth, but it had a round shape to it. She had short black hair that only barely reached past her ears. As per usual, she was in a tracksuit this early in the morning.

“Oh, good morning Ava” I hummed “Nothing much, just got pushed out a window” I said simply. The same way one says they cut their finger while dicing vegetables, or dropped a heavy TV on their toe. 

It took, about ten seconds, before she took out her phone from the breast pocket of her tracksuit “Tell me everything that happened Nick, come on, please, this smells like a good story. Don’t leave anything out” she said, getting closer “You’re okay by the way right? Besides your legs, obviously”

I counted on her deciding to ask questions, I nodded “Yes I’m alright Ava. As for what I remember, they broke into my apartment and threw me out the window. Most seem to think I jumped. The door was even relocked when I came back this morning, and nothing was stolen at all from my apartment. Not even my valuables”

She typed everything I said down, biting her lip and staying focused on her phone. She then began to type more and then delete it. I knew this would take her several minutes, going over to the coffee machine and making her usual. I did wonder how she consumed quad shot espresso straight black, twice a day.

I came back once it was ready and set it down, just as she looked up “I think that maybe I knew who those people could be Nick” she said.

I nodded “Who may they be then Ava?” I asked her, sliding the coffee closer “Consider this one on the house” I offered.

She took the coffee without even stopping and took a sip from it “There’s been reports of a splinter group forming off of The Red Vultures” she said, although she hesitated for a moment.

I knew the reason why, nodding “Thank you, I hope you’ll give me a good anonymous thank you in your next issue” I hummed.

“Yeah, of course, see you later Nick!” she waved and quickly jogged out after putting her phone back. Likely going back home to write up a first draft. 

I sighed, my face fell and I took a deep breath before putting my phone down. No longer interested at all in the media. Several seconds later, I stretched my back and took out my phone. 

I stared at my private notes before opening it, The Red Vultures, of course it had to be that one group.

Announcement
Thank you for reading chapter 2 of this prototype story, I would specifically like any comments on the cliffhanger, small theories people have about what the group did, etc. It will of course be explained next chapter. Likely not to be uploaded tomorrow due to my own things going on. 
Announcement
Unrelated to the story, did you all know that The Legendary Mechanic now has a Manhua (I think it's that one)? I didn't, just a cool thing I found out. Goodnight, or good morning to you.
1