Chapter 9 – Darkness is Where the Monsters Hide 
65 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Some traumatic/dark stuff up ahead, do be warned! Things will start to pick up soon. Enjoy!

I woke up in a dark room. 

This time, there was no light, no torch to repel the darkness.

My heart pounded. I called out in a whisper. 

“H-Hello?” 

No reply.

“A-Anyone?”

Nothing. Only deafening silence. Never ending darkness.

And together, the darkness became one with the silence, morphing into a breeding ground for everything one dreaded.

One’s fears. Nightmares. And worst of all, the things that did happen. The things that happened but were forgotten, confined in the darkest corners of one’s mind. And the memories that my mind had locked away finally escaped their cells.

All of a sudden, I was a child again, hiding in the closet. Hiding as the screams penetrated through the walls. Through the fingers shoved in my ears.

I twisted and turned, imprisoned in the suffocating memory. Trapped once more with the broken hangers and their endless shadows.

But the worst had yet to come.

Pain.

My sudden movements burned my skin. Burned it against the things that bound my arms and legs. Another encircling my waist.

They were ropes.

And then it warped into something beyond a memory. A nightmare. A nightmare come true.

The shadows grew into dark vines, writhing and twisting around me. They forced me to kneel, playing with my body like a puppet, becoming the strings that ruled over every muscle, every joint, every movement.

The only thing that I could do was whimper. Cry. Sob.

But when the tears dripped down, I discovered something else besides the ropes. It wasn’t the darkness covering my eyes.

It was a blindfold, dampened by my tear-stricken face.

I screamed.

. . .

It whispered to me, again. Calling out my name.

Yohan.

It crawled on my skin.

Come. Join us.

It uttered promises, promises of release.

It won’t hurt anymore.

And it commanded me to destroy.

Just kill everyone. Annihilate everything. Then, it will all stop.

And we’ll be together.

Forever.

And right when I was about to accept its offer, something washed over me. Some remnant power surging from my temple. It was warm. Like an embrace. Like a hug.

One I’d desperately needed.

The voice screeched, promising to return before it dissipated into ashes. And then I escaped.

The closet, the screams, the vines. They all disappeared.

I gasped for air, lungs expanding quickly, as if I’d been underwater. As if I’d been drowning. My head spun, searching for light. 

But there was only darkness. 

Then, I felt it. 

The wet cloth. The ropes. They weren’t a nightmare. They were reality.

My heartbeat quickened.

“W-what happened?” I thought aloud, panting between short breaths.

My senses slowly returned and I shivered. It was cold. Dry. I grimaced at the unfamiliar sweet and slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

H-had I been drugged?

D-don’t panic, Yohan. Maybe, there’s an explanation for this. It might not be what you think.

I shut my eyes tight, trying to recall the last things I could remember.

Death was the first. Then, waking up in the forest, again. Running. Battling the monsters. More running. And then, I met the man with the bow—

The man with the bow.

“Andrew!” I yelled, calling out his name as the memories of the past few hours rushed back into my head.

The monsters’ deaths. My insanity. The house. Our talk. And then . . .

A sharp pain radiated from my neck.

And when I realized what had happened to me, and who had done it, the blood drained from my face.

My instincts screamed at me to not speak. To stay quiet. But I couldn’t stop his name from leaving my lips.

Andrew.”

My voice grew louder and louder, like an orchestra of damaged instruments reaching their terrible climax.

“Andrew. ANdrew! AnDRew! ANDREW!!”

By the final scream, my voice had completely hoarsened into a painful whisper.

Andrew.”

I sobbed. Cried my heart out, no longer caring if anyone heard me.

How I had been so stupid? Trusting somebody I’d just met. Thought he was my friend. And like some innocent, naive child, I’d believed in his words. That he’d help me. That he’d teach me. I’d actually believed. Believed that I was a hero.

But I wasn’t a hero. It was a lie, one I’d chosen to believe in, like so many others. And this was what karma had in store for me.

Because right now, I needed a fucking hero.

And I knew no one was coming. Since real heroes didn’t exist.

. . . My unsteady breaths continued, ragged and painful as they echoed out into the darkness.

. . .

After what seemed to be an eternity of endless regret and solitude, my heartbeat began to slow down. Out of nowhere, a wave of energy washed over my soul, and something in my mind expanded. Like my entire being had evolved. As if I’d discovered the meaning of life.

And my breaths stilled.

No one is coming. Like always.

You’re alone.

You have to save yourself.

I gritted my teeth. The voice was right. I wasn’t a child anymore. I wasn’t hiding in the closet, waiting for someone to stop the screams. No, it was time to stand up and do it myself.

So I tried to stand, struggling against the ropes.

But he tied them well. 

Regardless, I continued my attempt, trying to find some way out, some wiggle room he hadn’t taken account of. But there were ropes on my wrists, tying my hands apart. Another at my waist, forcing me to stay upright. And two more on my thighs and legs, making me kneel on some cold, hard floor.

Clearly, he was experienced at this. At tying people up and preventing even a single movement. Just how many others had he…

Had he done the same to?

I shook my head. No time for my thoughts to wander. I tried to move again.

Completely useless.

I looked around for something, anything to—fuck, I'd forgotten about the blindfold.

. . .

A few minutes passed and the realization sunk in. Not even my newborn will to fight could deny the fact that, right now, I was completely helpless.

Tsk, tsk. Should’ve listened to Mother, Yohan. Never trust in strangers.

Especially men.

I couldn’t refute the voice this time.

What newfound confidence? What determination? Standing up for myself?

I couldn’t even stand up, literally. I had nothing. No power. No plan. There was nothing I could do except wait.

Wait for my inevitable demise.

. . .

Creak.

Something opened, ever so slowly. And even through the blindfold, I’d sensed the new found presence.

Light.

But this time, I preferred the darkness. I swallowed the dry lump in my throat.

He was here.

What was he going to do to me? He knew that death wasn’t the end for us “heroes,” so was he…

Was he going to torture me? Extract something from my soul? Turn me into a mindless being? His slave? 

“P-Please . . . I’m sorry,” I whispered. “Don’t h-hurt me. Please.”

“Yohan?”

I froze. My heart became a jackhammer, pounding away at my chest. H-Had he heard me? If not, should I answer him?

“Are you there?”

I hesitated.

“Ah, what am I doing? Even if he’s demonized, he won’t wake up for another few hours, not after taking the Somnia.”

After his muttering, another creak echoed. And I knew he was about to leave.

“D-don’t go!” I screamed, not caring anymore about what he might do. He could kill me, again, for all I cared.

I just didn’t want to be left alone. Not again.

Something hard slammed onto wood. I flinched.

“Y-Yohan? I-is that you? Or . . . the demon?” His voice was shaking. Uncertain. Scared. Scared that he had made a mistake.

His words ignited something inside me, tossing fear straight to the back of my mind.

Rage.

Would a demon beg and grovel? No, they wouldn’t.

“Yes, it’s fucking me, you fucking bastard!” I spat, my teeth grinding on each other so hard it hurt.

He gulped. 

“You really came back?”

“I. Was. Always. Here.”

I was beyond angry now. I hated him. No, I despised him.

“Take. Off. The. Blindfold.”

His feet shuffled on the floor. After a few seconds, I felt his hands on the back of my head.

Then there was light.

My eyes recoiled from the sudden brightness, squinting through half-shut eyelids. A moment later, they fully opened and my prison was revealed.

I was in a dimly lit room, walled at every side by gray stone. Barrels littered the place, separated by wooden beams. Countless ropes bound me to one of the beams. My eyes quickly traveled to the center of the room, where the only source of light was coming through a square opening. There was another rope, leading up into it.

Then, I looked at him, standing in front of me. The man I wanted to chew into pieces.

When he noticed my gaze, he looked away.

Can’t even look at me, you bastard?

“I apologize about the blindfold. Just the ropes are necessary to restrain those who’ve been demonized. But I . . .” He smiled pathetically. “I can’t look them in the eyes.”

“Fuck you.” I spat, teeth continuing to grind on each other.

“I-I’m sorry, Yohan. I had to make sure. I-”

“I. Trusted. You. And. You. Made. Me.” I stopped, not even wanting to try and explain. What was the point? He didn’t even care, did he?

“Made you?” He asked, brows arching in hesitation.

I snarled.

“I. Remembered. Everything. Because. Of. You. And,” I paused, gnashing my teeth again. It. Came. Back.”

He blinked a few times, not understanding right away. But when realization finally dawned upon him, his body stiffened like a coroner who had just cut open a carcass and discovered that the person was still alive.

“You met the Inner Demon? Down here?” 

The slight frown told me that he didn’t believe me. And I despised him even more. Didn’t even want to look at his disgusting face.

“I’m. Not. Lyin—”

He touched my forehead. His eyes grew wide. 

“All of it’s gone. How—”

“DON’T. TOUCH. ME.”

He recoiled at my sudden roar, holding his hands out like he was dealing with a wild beast. And right now, I was one. I really was going to kill him.

“Kid, I-I’m really, really sorr—”

“Don’t. Call. Me. Kid.” I hissed.

“Okay, I won’t.” He gave a quick nod. “But, you have to understand, I wasn’t sure it was you. I—”

I stared at him wordlessly. He sighed, surrounding the bridge of his nose with his hands.

“I’m sorry. I had to make sure you weren’t in a dormant stage. It’s happened before. I—”

“Just,” I said, growling. “Take off the damn ropes.”  

“O-okay.” He went behind me.

I jumped at his touch but didn’t do anything until the final rope had been cut loose.

“I-It’s never happened before. Even with the M-Force I left, it should’ve been impossible for you to have escaped its—”

I ignored his shitty attempt at an explanation and walked towards the rope. I’d climb it and get out of this shithole. Then, I’d go and find the other heroes. And we’d find a way to go back home. To leave this damned world.

But when I tried to grab onto the rope, my body failed me. Or perhaps, it was something else. Regardless, I collapsed to the floor, hands jerking as if I was having a seizure. My arms and legs had suddenly become lead weights, chaining me to the ground.

Exhaustion1Not necessarily physical, but like overall.had set in at the worst possible time. Not completely, though, I would discover, when I felt his hands on my back.

Adrenaline pumped through me again and I screamed, pushing him off before crawling away on the floor.

“I-I just wanted to help.”  

I hissed at him before scurrying behind one of the nearby barrels.

His footsteps approached. 

“Get away from me, you basta—”

“I won’t hurt you. I promise.” He stood in front of the barrel, his cerulean shirt above me, erratically rising with every shaky breath. “I just want to bring you back up. You can l-leave after. I won’t stop you. I swear.”

I slowly looked up from his shirt and up to his face, meeting his teary gaze. Endless regret filled the sad, bronze eyes.

But I didn’t care. I couldn’t forgive him. I wouldn’t.

“Please. Just look. This . . . this is what I gave you. Somnia, my own treatme—er, special concoction. It’s a quick-acting sleep potion.” 

A flask appeared in his hand, filled with a purple liquid.

“I’ll drink it. Takes effect in a minute. I’ll bring you up there, fall unconscious, and . . . you can do whatever you want. Leave. Tie me up. Anything.”

Had the scent wafting from the potion not smelled like the sickly taste still left in my mouth, I would have never trusted his words. But I could barely even stand. Climbing a rope? Impossible. I sure as hell didn't want to admit it, but I couldn’t leave without his help. I had to cooperate. 

Still, I didn’t trust him. Not a single bit. And maybe I never would again. 

I gave him an unwilling glare before leaving the barrel and crawling towards the rope. When I reached it, I turned around and stared at him.

He sighed and walked up to me.

“Look, I’m drinking it now.” He said, gulping down the strange mix. “Okay? Just . . . hold on to me.”

I gave him another glare.

“We don’t have long. Please. Or do you want to stay down here?”

I gritted my teeth before relenting and clawing onto his back. Tried to, that is.

“Don’t try to hurt me. It won’t work. Just . . . think positive thoughts and—” He shut up quickly as he realized he’d misspoke. “It’s a Terraria thing. You can’t hurt the natives…normally. So please, just hold on. You can think of hurting me later.”

I scowled, cursing under my breath. Fuck this world and its shitty rules. But despite my disgruntled thoughts, I grabbed onto him again, this time carefully and without attempting to break his skin open with my nails.

After securing the both of us, he climbed the short rope, groaning underneath our combined weight. But he didn’t have the time to complain. Before a minute was up, he brought the both of us to the top and we were back in the room.

The tables. The chairs. The window. The door I wanted to ram straight through.

It was a memory from not long ago. A memory I now wanted to forget. I’d run out of here and never come back.

Something fell behind me. I turned around, only to be met with the sight of him kneeling on the floor.

He gave me a guilty smile.

“Er, I may not have told the e-entire truth.”

Of course. Another lie. I wasn’t even disappointed anymore. What other lies had he told me earlier? Was any of it even the truth? Was everything we had done . . . just some cruel joke? Was my trust that worthle—

“The potion does work! Just . . . I’ve built a resistance to it, so it’ll take a bit longer for it to take effect. But I will fall unconscious for five hours after, I swear. I swear on my name as the Guide. In a few minutes, I’ll be at your mercy.”

I crawled to the door, ignoring his words. I didn’t care anymore about getting revenge or the like. Not like I even could, according to what he said earlier. I just wanted to get out of here. Forget any of this even happened.

“Please, wait.” His hoarse voice made me pause, only for a second.

“I made a terrible mistake. I-I should have been more careful. No.” He shook his head. “I should have trusted you. But I..."

He bit his lip.

"I haven’t trusted a hero in a long time.”

I continued to crawl towards the door.

“I’m so sorry, Yohan. With all my heart, I truly am. I don’t know what you experienced down there, but I know just how terrifying it is. To be all alone—”

I opened my mouth, ready to scream that he didn’t know anything about me. But when I turned around, he slammed his head onto the floor with a loud thud.

“You don’t have to forgive me. Just, please. Please. Please don’t go.” His throat choked with tears.

“Please. I’m begging you. D-don’t leave me here. Alone.”

Something in my heart burst at his words. Words that were too familiar.

And the voice spoke again. A different voice, perhaps. 

Forgive him, like he forgave you.

What I did and what he did are not even fucking close! How could I even trust him? He’s a liar, just like my—

He’s not him. He’s not your father. And he lied because it was necessary.

He tied me up! He left me down there to rot, like some animal! I would have gone insane! I—

And if you were in his place, what would you have done?

I, I would’ve—

You don’t know, do you? Because you’ve never been in his place. Never had to—

“AH, SHUT UP!”

I shrieked at the voice and it buried itself somewhere in my mind again, though it spoke one more time before it left.

Even if you refuse, your heart knows the right thing to do.

I turned around, touching the door in front of me, heartbeat deafening. Fuck. I looked back one more time.

Andrew laid on the floor, moaning in pain. Clearly, that Somnia shit or whatever he had taken was taking effect. The same thing he’d given to me.

“D-don’t go. Please, don’t go.”

I pushed the door open, gritting my teeth. I had to leave. Leave before I would make a decision I knew I’d regret.

And then he said her name.

Axela, don’t. Don’t. . .”

And I turned back, my eyes wide and shaking.

Axela. Axela Heracles. 5’1”. Blonde hair. Wore round, larger than monocles, glasses. Total cliche nerd. Everyone ridiculed her. The oddball. The girl who laughed at every bad joke. The one who'd gone through Undertale’s Pacifist route twenty times in a row, just because she wanted to create more happy timelines. She even paid people to download it on their devices, buying the game for them just so she wouldn’t rewrite her original save. I'd teased her about it for months.

Axela Heracles, my best friend. The one I’d lost contact with two months ago.

How did he know her name?

. . .

I stared at his face. He looked young, and yet, at the same time, so old. Had it not been for the light beard, I was sure that he’d look twenty-five. But I assumed him to be in his late thirties. Thirty-five, maybe?  

Almost his age.

“Mmh. D-don’t go! Stop!”

His words tugged at my heartstrings.

“Idiot.”

I’d calmed down by now. Faster than I’d done before.

But I was still angry.

“You big, dumb idiot.”

I wanted to punch him. Hard. But I knew I couldn’t.

So I just badmouthed him while he slept. Still felt rather good, I had to admit.

I sighed and looked outside the window. The sun was setting.

I looked back at him. Five hours, right? He’d better not have lied again.

. . .

Yohan, we’re coming...

*giggle*

I woke up with a shiver.

“Did I fall asleep

I felt something move underneath me and I jerked back, already knowing what it was.

Ugh. Why was he so damn good as a pillow? I shook my head with a frown, looking away from the mumbling Andrew and outside the window. My frown grew.

The sun had completely set, replaced by an almost endless darkness. The only light nearby was the torch inside the shack, which I’d now grown grateful for despite my inability to understand how it had been burning for so long.

Probably magic. Or something to do with M-Force.

I peeped back at Andrew’s sleeping face, adding the question to the list of things I was going to ask him. But when was he going to wake up? Maybe if I punched him? No, it wouldn’t work.

But it wouldn’t hurt to give it another try, right?

…I’d readied my fist and was about to test it out again before I was interrupted by a groan.

Eurgh.

The hair on my neck stood up.

Eurgh.

There it was again. This time, I’d pinpointed where the sound had been coming from.

The door.

I walked to it slowly.

EuRGH.

The sound was louder. It sounded like something dying. And wait—

I sniffed.

God, it smelled like it was dying too. A putrid smell, like dead fish. I almost gagged.

My spine tingled.

Don’t open it.

But I had grown tired of listening to the voice.

Oh, I should have listened. But let me tell you something. Don’t let anyone tell you how many lives you have. Especially if it’s somehow more than one. Because knowing that I had “ninety-nine” or something lives left had made me fearless. A stupid kind of fearless.

I opened the door, pinching my nose.

“What the hell is making that smell-”

I shrieked. Not because it had bit me. Nor because I’d phased out of reality, again. But because of its appearance.

It was a bloody corpse, the skin on the rotting arms and legs peeling off, blood dripping from every pore. But it was the head that had made me scream. Or rather, what was supposed to be its head. Because unlike the rest of its parts, it wasn't human

No, for some reason, someone had thought it was a good idea to replace the zombie’s head with a fucking blue mucus monster.

hp100_60.png

Oh. The blue screen. Hello, again.

Another thing I’d forgotten to ask about. It disappeared the last time, but I assumed that it was associated with the amount of pain I felt, because, right now, it was like someone had punched me right in the gut. 

I barely managed to slam the door shut before I collapsed on the floor, gasping for air, eyes widening by the second.

“W-what the f-fuck?”

What. In. The. Actual. Fuck. Was. That? 

Our favorite zombie variation (from Bestiary)

SlimeZombie.png

P.S. Somnia does not exist within the game. 

4