Chapter 22: Yaki
2.5k 15 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Luluka suddenly found herself in a forest. A few meters up ahead was a lake. And beside the lake was a figure laying down on the ground, seemingly unconscious.

 

‘Ruby!’ Recognizing the figure, Luluka quickly ran there.

 

“Ruby!” She shouted and shook Ruby’s body, trying to wake her up. 

 

She was unconscious and seemingly out of harm. There were no injuries on her body. Luluka was a little relieved upon seeing this. All the pending tensions from before melted away, and a sense of relief washed over her.

 

After shaking for a while, Ruby groaned and slowly opened her eyes. She blinked a couple times and looked at the smiling face above her.

 

“M’…lady..,” she called out weakly and tried to get up. Luluka supported her up into a sitting position.

 

She then looked around with a confused expression. “Where… are we? And how’d we get here?”

 

Luluka pulled Ruby into a warm hug and muttered almost in her ear, “I don’t know, either.”

 

She paused for a second and then continued, “I was with my dad earlier when the lightning blast came, then the next moment I was here.”

 

Feeling the warmth in the embrace, Ruby also wrapped her arms around Luluka’s back. The two of them continued enjoying each other's warmth in silence. 

 

The only sound left in the background was the sounds of the cicadas and birds chirping. It was a calming atmosphere which made you relax, especially when you were in an embrace of the person you loved.

 

After a while, Luluka finally broke the silence, “I suddenly got an alarm in my head, so I became panicked and scared. I thought that you were in serious danger.”

 

She tightened her embrace. “So I came looking for you, but then, I suddenly found my dad fighting against two people from the church. I could sense your location right there a moment before, but then right after, it was gone.”

 

“I was…. So scared.” Luluka’s voice got a bit shaky like she was about to cry.

 

Ruby tightened her embrace and patted Luluka’s back. Both of them sat in silence for a while, then Ruby said, “Sorry, m’lady. I made you worry.”

 

“Luluka,” Luluka said, “Call me Luluka.” 

 

Ruby smiled gently and replied, “Alright, Luluka.”

 

Luluka smiled and closed her eyes, enjoying the blissful feeling in her heart.

 

“So, what about you? What happened?” Luluka asked, “Do you remember anything?” 

 

Ruby shook her head. “No,” she said, “The last thing I remember was going shopping, then I suddenly heard a cry in the back alley. I went there and found a boy being abused by two men. I scared the men away and was about to get out of there, and then…..,” she paused, “I don’t remember what happened after that.”

 

Luluka nodded. “I see.”

 

Then, silence descended again. The two girls were hugging each other tightly while closing their eyes. They were enjoying each other's warmth, and took in each other's scent. It was euphoric and both of them felt so comfortable that they almost fell asleep.

 

Then, a rustling suddenly came from the side. Both of them quickly broke out of their embrace and turned to look at where the noise came from.

 

There, in the forest, a figure slowly walked out. Each step it took made a noise as it stepped on the dry leaves on the ground. Not long after, it finally revealed itself.

 

It was a humanoid figure dressed in a black leather jacket and ripped jeans. It was tall and muscular. On its back was a great sword, as big as two of its arms combined. 

 

I say ‘it’ because it wasn’t a human. On that bulky body—was the head of a goat! 

 

It had white fur all over its face with two horns on top. Its eyes were red, and seemed to leave a glint every now and then.

 

Seeing such a strange creature, both Luluka and Ruby quickly got up and got into a fighting stance. Ruby pulled out her daggers and went in front of Luluka to cover her up.

 

The goat-head kept walking closer and then stopped a few meters away from the two girls and calmly said, “No need to be vigilant, ladies. I don’t intend any harm.”

 

Its voice was deep and robust, suiting its massive body. Though, despite saying so, Ruby and Luluka still didn’t put down their guards, for doing so would be foolish.

 

They were standing there, staring at each other in silence. Time seemed to pass by like an eternity when Ruby broke the silence—

 

“Who are you?” She asked, narrowing her eyes.

 

The goat-head raised what looked like its eyebrows up and said in a surprised tone, “Oh my, how rude of me.” 

 

It then bowed down with its right hand on its left chest.  “Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Yaki. Just Yaki. Pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

 

Then, it raised its body up and continued, “Lord Arthur has sent me here to receive the two of you.”

 

Hearing this, Ruby and Luluka became surprised, though they still put up their guards.

 

“You know my dad?” Luluka asked.

 

“Indeed I do, young lady,” it said. “For Lord Arthur is my respected greatest master!”

 

It said in a tone full of pride and vigor. A smile appeared on its face, making it look like a smiling goat.

 

“Dad’s subordinate?” Luluka wondered aloud, then putting down her guard. Though, Ruby still had her guard up as she kept looking at the goat-head with narrowed eyes.

 

The goat-head saw this and just sighed and shook his head. “So be it. It’s understandable that you wouldn’t trust me just yet.”

 

It then inserted its hand into its jacket, seemingly searching for something in there. Ruby became even more vigilant as she lowered her hip, readied to strike at any moment.

 

The goat-head searched for a while until it went, “Ahh!” seemingly finding what it was looking for.

 

Then, from inside the jacket, it pulled out what looked like a scroll. It was rolled neatly into a cylinder shape. Goat-head then tossed the scroll toward Ruby. She caught it professionally and continued glaring at the goat-head.

 

Luluka went beside Ruby and took the scroll from her. She then held it in her hands and just looked at it. 

 

She was being cautious. This thing could be enchanted with magic that could spell a bomb upon opening. She just looked at it in every nook and cranny, trying her best to inspect it.

 

The goat-head just smiled upon seeing this. “Being careful is good, but you don’t need to be in this case. It’s not a bomb, if that’s what you think it is.”

 

Luluka stopped inspecting and casted her eyes up to look at the goat-head. She looked at it doubtfully for a while, then she just sighed and turned to look at the scroll again.

 

“M’lady, you don’t have to…,” Ruby said, not taking her eyes off the goat-head.

 

“It’s fine, Ruby. I got this,” Luluka replied, reassuring Ruby.

 

She then took another glance at the goat-head and slowly peeled the scroll open…

40