Chapter 5 – Scooting Along the Ground
9 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I hope you enjoy!

Chapter 5

 

458 A.C.

 

This room is too hot.

I thought while slowly waking up.

 

My body was drenched in sweat. Through clouded eyes, I saw that I had been covered by a blanket, which I promptly removed, before closing my eye to go back to sleep.

In that moment, my head was filled with a mix of my thoughts and my dreams until a ray of light hit my eyes. Stretching while sitting up, I looked at that which had disturbed my rest. The culprit, that beam of light,  was  coming into the room from the only window in this room, a window to my left.

 

From the window, I saw a small clearing of grass of about 30 meters. Before the grass made way to a dark maze like wall of trees, which obscured me from seeing farther. 

 

Turning from the window, I sighed. When I remembered that I had passed out, when I had cleared my head from it’s grogginess, I was somewhat embarrassed. 

 

Until I felt a sharp stinging sensation on my left hand. Fuck, why didn’t I refuse that crazy idiot?! When I looked at my hand, I saw that it was covered with an ugly series of pink, green, and black magic lines. I tried to touch it, but I quickly pulled my hand back. Shit, that stung like hell. I thought while cursing Daska in my heart. 

 

While looking at my hand once again, thoughts filled my mind.

 

Is this the tracking array?

What should I do when I meet Daska next? I am powerless as I am now and can’t run away. Even if I could do all this on my left hand, I feel like I could be tracked.

Is it that I can't escape?

Well,  anyways, they helped heal me. 

Didn’t Daska say that they could help me recultivate? I will listen to them for now. It is not like I could not help them until I have became strong enough to leave here by myself.

 

I decided to inspect the room I was in. Last time, I had gotten too enthralled in the formations on the wall to get a proper look. Recalling how I acted before I blushed.


Wait, am I even in the same room I was in before?

 

In a slight panic, I looked around the room I was in.

 

It seemed to be the small tan room I was in earlier.

 

The room that I was in was about 5 meters long and wide. The bed, which I was sitting in, was in the back right corner from the door. There was a small desk to my left in the center of the back wall. The desk was a little more than a meter tall, half a meter wide, and a meter and a half long. The desk had a couple parchments on it as well as a quill and some ink. On the wall, to my left, was the window I was gazing through. The door was made of a polished red and silver metal. There was a small ornate brass handle on the door.

 

Minutes passed by as I grew bored. I recalled how I had fallen over the last couple times I tried to stand. I cautiously placed one foot on the ground. The floor was cold; it felt like I had stepped on ice. 

 

I quickly pulled in my leg. Yet, I was curious about the sudden coolness that touched my foot in this hot room. I inspected the ground from my bed, like a bird perched on a branch. The floor was filled with what seemed to be small, intricately carved copper tiles. The tiles were square, with a blue lining in the small crevices between where the plates met.

 

Although not perfect, I was shocked, for the copper on the floor was not corroded or rusted. A substantial amount of effort must have been put into their creation and maintenance. 

 

I once more placed my foot on the ground. The coolness that reached my foot, I welcomed with open arms. The room I was in, itself was somewhat hot, so the cold ground brought welcome relief. When realizing that nothing had gone wrong, I put both of my feet on the ground. 

 

When I tried to stand up, the fact that I didn’t immediately collapse brought me almost immediate relief. My head, though, felt extremely light, like a feather trying to meet the ground. I quickly sat back down on the bed.

 

I was dehydrated and hungry. It had probably been days since I had last properly eaten or drank anything. I got up once more and went to the door. As I got up, and slowly I approached the door, I realized that my sense of balance was shot. So after a step, I decided not to risk a fall, so I sat on the ground. Yet, my hunger spurred me forward. With my hands pulling me, I scooted myself towards the door.

 

One tile forward and I will be fifteen tiles from the door. I thought as I scooted myself forward. I wonder what I will eat? I am excited! Hunger had once more blurred my mind.

 

"What are you doing?" Someone said, through a yawn from the door, which brought me out of my thoughts. I looked up only to see Daska. They were rubbing their right eye while stretching their left arm. It looked as if they had just woken up. 

 

"Did you fall again? Here, let me help you up." Daska moved to me and held out their hand.

 

"Is there anything to eat? I am hungry." I asked to hide my embarrassment, as I reached out with my left hand.

When I saw the lines on the back of  my hand, I quickly realized my mistake and replaced it with my right. With a smile, Daska took my hand and helped me up.

 

"Food? Yes, there is some, but you must follow me if you want any."

"I think I will fall if I stand." I said in a subtle panic.

 

"Don’t worry, I will catch you." They said while turning around "Follow me!" They exclaimed with what seemed to be a sense of joy. I slowly stumbled after them. 

 

After what seemed to be two hours, we reached a room filled with tables and chairs. It was empty of life, as if it had not been touched in years.

 

"Here is the dining room!" Daska exclaimed.

 

"All Archanists and apprentices raised here since the founding of this tower have eaten in this room!"

 

I was shocked, but not at the statement of this room’s history. This room had easily more than two hundred chairs.

 

I am probably the last Arhcanist in the Void Sea.

 

Remembering Daska’s previous statement, coupled with this room, brought me a strange sense of loss. "Now sit here, I will bring you your food!" My stomach growled in anticipation.

 

Thank you for reading, if you have any questions or thoughts please leave them below! And, if you wish to read more of, and to not miss an update for, Under the Tower! in the future, please follow!

 

1