Chapter 45: Returning Home
7.2k 44 158
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“A break?” Scarlet said, confused as to why Charles and Isaka were suddenly asking for a break from exploring the Labyrinth when they had all just agreed that it was time to go down to the deeper floors.

“Many of us have hit our current Class level cap. As such, it would be most beneficial for the entire group for us to train our Class Skills, but while exploring, we have to always keep mana in reserve for emergencies, which hurts our progress.” Isaka explained. “I’ll admit I am being a little selfish, as if I wish to reach Tier 4, I will need extra time to focus on training my Class Skills for a week or two. But I believe that everyone could benefit from the opportunity.”

“...That’s true.” Scarlet said, nodding her head a bit.

She also needed to train her Class Skills if she wanted to proceed, as well as her magic. In order to move from an Arcane Knight to an Elemental Swordsmaster, she would need to have level 125 in all 6 elemental magics. Her [Wind Magic] was already almost there, and she was pretty far along in [Earth], [Water] and [Cold Magic] too, but [Fire] and [Lightning Magic] were pretty far behind.

She’d placed her last Talent Point into [Dual Evocation] in order to speed up the process and she was now receiving a +500% growth bonus from her Class, but it was still going to take time. Probably around three months.

If she didn’t reach the requirements before she maxed out her Class Skills, she could settle for becoming a Holy Knight instead. It was a good defensive, self-healing Class, but Scarlet already had some pretty potent defensive skills. What she needed was the more versatile set from the Elemental Swordsmaster Class.

The Hurricane Blade Class was also an option, if she wanted to deviate from her plans of becoming a Valkyrie. It was a strong Class, with really high DPS. And the Avatar of the Storm Class that it led into was a really powerful Class… but… Something told Scarlet that her objective was the Valkyrie Class.

“Alright. I understand. I could use some extra training too.” Scarlet said with a nod of her head. She wasn’t really in that much of a hurry, but if everyone wanted to take a break from diving into the Labyrinth, she could reallocate all that mana she was using to scout into training her elemental magics and Class Skills. She could also spend some more time crafting items and working on getting her potions right.

While her last attempt with the Draught of Dreamless Sleep had been… disastrous, she was still willing to keep trying and see if she could find something that worked.

Even the thought of the potion depressed her and the boys all saw her visibly wilt in front of them.

“Actually, we thought that you might want to use this time to return home for a short bit. Visit with your mother and the rest of the girls.” Charles said, much to Scarlet’s surprise. 

“Return home? But I…” Scarlet faltered. 

In truth, staying at the Labyrinth was better for training, even if they weren’t going to be fighting monsters. Her mana regeneration was more than doubled down there. But the sound of going home to her mother and seeing everyone was very tempting. Perhaps even more tempting than the siren call of levels.

“Things have not been going smoothly for you at the Academy. We all know that. Taking a week or two off in order to recharge would honestly be for the best. After that, we will all be more prepared for the trials ahead.” Nico said gently. 

Part of Scarlet was annoyed at the insinuation that she needed a break, but she really could feel herself longing for home. “...You sure it is okay for me to go?”

“It’s fine. We really don’t need you here.” Charles said with a nod of his head.

“...Young Master, you really… Uh…” Andy could only facepalm at his lord’s words, while everyone else just looked at him like he was an idiot. Scarlet wasn’t sure whether to feel indignant or to laugh. “You really need lessons on how to talk to women.”

“Huh? Why would I need lessons on that? I have never had a problem talking in front of women?” Charles asked, visibly confused.

“I feel sorry for them then.” Lloyd said with a sigh. “Things might be more boring with you gone, but you don’t need to worry. Boring can be good sometimes.”

“...Alright then… I’ll go.” Scarlet finally agreed.

She really did want to see her mother again.


“How long are you planning on sulking?” Annabell said with a sigh as she looked down at her childhood friend, who hadn’t been herself since Scarlet had left.

“I’m not sulking.” Maria said with a pout, turning her head away from her sister-in-law as the young woman held her one-year-old daughter, Daisy. The sight of her friend with her youngest being another reminder of who wasn’t there.

Even after three weeks, there was just a sense of wrongness about everything without Scarlet there. It ate at her at every meal. It left her unable to focus whenever she tried to work. She couldn’t even sleep at night without her beloved daughter there to wish her pleasant dreams… as utterly backwards as that was.

Scarlet had been her life for several years now, and with her gone everything just felt off.

She hadn’t felt this way in years. Not since she had been taken away to that house at the edge of the slave camp. And the similarity between the feelings had left her unable to cope.

(It’s alright. Scarlet will be back before you know it.) Her spider Bond told her, trying to give her comfort.

“Honestly, you act as though she was dead or something.” Annabell said, picking the absolute worst words as Maria visibly shivered at the thought. “Mary, I didn’t…”

“She isn’t… She wouldn’t.” Maria said, paling.

“Of course she isn’t.” Judith said, slamming a plate full of grilled meats and veggies in front of Maria. “While she is a bit impulsive, she’s a smart girl who can figure her way out of bad situations. I’d feel more worried for the safety of any nobles or monsters who want to try anything than for her.”

...She wasn’t exactly wrong. 

While not good with normal touch, Scarlet wasn’t shy in combat. She also didn’t know the meaning of the phrase ‘fighting fair’.

Maria and Judith had long realized that Scarlet had planted the evidence that incriminated Jonathan, sicking the inquisition on him, resulting in the man being tortured until he revealed everything about the books. Which he obviously couldn’t do, because he had no idea where they came from. So he was likely tortured to death. Not that either of them were about to tell anyone about this. Jonathan deserved what happened to him.

Though it wasn’t the last instance of Scarlet using laws and political figures to do the work for her when it came to removing annoyances. Specifically, annoyances to her family.

Dealing with the nobles who came to question them about Scarlet had become more difficult without her to take control of the situation.

Maria wondered when it was that Scarlet had become her safety blanket. The thing that made her feel like things would simply work out.

“I miss her.” Maria said quietly.

“...Yes. I know.” Judith said with a sigh. While the rest of them had gone months at a time with Scarlet and Maria running around together on hunting trips, this was Maria’s first time away from her baby for more than a few hours since the day Scarlet had been born. But none of them had thought that she would handle it so poorly. It made them wonder what the woman would do once Scarlet grew up and would get married. If she would follow along behind her for the rest of her life.

But as an awkward silence began to stretch, with Judith and Annabell wondering what to say in order to cheer her up, the bell to the front door to their shop/home rang and they heard a familiar voice call out. “Mama! Mama, are you here!?”

Maria’s eyes widened and she scrambled to the door as fast as her high stats would allow, going from the kitchen into the main room of the shop, afraid that if she didn’t act quickly enough, that the voice would disappear and leave her alone again.

But as she opened the door, she saw her standing there with her shorter than usual red hair, the white raven perched on her shoulder. “Mama, I’m home.” Scarlet said with a smile, her voice full of longing.

“Scarlet!” Maria cried, running forward to embrace her daughter, the two of them having a long hug in the middle of the room without a care about who was watching and what they might think. “Welcome home, my baby girl.”


 

Scarlet spent an entire day talking with her mother, just spending time together, before the pair went on a little trip up to visit with Raphaela and Caesia, as well as Charles’ mother and father, all of them gathering at the dining table, interested in getting any kind of progress report.

“So, things are going well then.” Iris said, sounding relieved at the news that Scarlet had brought her of her only son’s well being. Charles choosing to go down the same path as his grandfather had left her worried, but he had progressed faster than they could have ever hoped.

Her reaction was much different than Maria’s, as Scarlet’s mother had become embarrassed after hearing all of the things her daughter had been up to, thinking about how she herself hadn’t gotten anything done in the weeks since the girl’s departure.

“No fair. The rest of you are getting ahead of me.” Raphaela pouted, slumping down on top of Nisien, as Scarlet had brought the Timber Wolf back home with her inside of a space bending dog carrier. With just a bit of grinding, involving Scarlet breaking the bones of monsters before letting Nisien have his way with them, the little pup had grown to level 40, and was now the size of a horse, and looked like the cross between a wolf and a reindeer, with wooden antlers growing from his head. “I should have snuck into the Academy too.”

“You would have been caught straight away.” Caesia said in a matter of fact tone. “While Scarlet is tall for her age and has a bit of a boyish personality, you wouldn’t be able to help yourself when it comes to acting like a girl.”

“Hey. I’ll have you know that Nico is constantly getting on my case for acting too girly.” Scarlet said indignantly. Getting a chuckle out of Caesia. “You really aren't that far behind though, since everyone needs to max out their Class Skills in order to extend their Class level cap anyways.”

Raphaela was already a Tier 4 Class, like the others, and her level wasn't that far behind them yet. It was only Scarlet who had reached Tier 5 early because of her massive mana regen.

“Yeah, maybe. But I’m still going to have to find a way to level up on my own, since most of my normal party isn’t going to be around for the hunting season.” Raphaela said.

“Well. I wouldn’t worry too much about that. I’ve just received word that your mother and father have recently made landfall, and that they will be coming here after a short meeting with the King.” Richard told the girl. “I’m sure they would be more than happy to go with you.”

“Really!?” Raphaela shouted, her expression immediately brightening up. It had been almost a year since she had last seen her mom and dad, and the prospect of it was exciting to the young girl. “I can’t wait! I’ll have to train hard to show them how strong I’ve become!” 

Iris giggled at the girl’s reaction before flinching a bit and rubbing her stomach.

“Are you alright?” Richard asked, seeing his wife’s discomfort. 

“I’m fine. It is too early for you to be doting on me just yet.” Iris said, waving the man down.

“Is something the matter? Do you need healing?” Scarlet asked.

“No. I’m fine, really. I’m not sick. Just pregnant.” Iris said with a chuckle.

“Oh… Huh!? I mean, congratulations!” Scarlet shouted in surprise. She hadn’t even noticed the small bit of stomach that Iris was now sporting underneath her dress. “So that means that Charles is going to have a younger sibling now, right?”

“...Hopeful. If all goes well this time.” Iris said, her face full of worry.

Scarlet was confused, until Caesia filled her in.

“Lady Iris has actually given birth to four other children after Charles, but all of them died within days of being born.” Caesia quietly informed her.

“What? How?” Scarlet said in surprise.

While miscarriages were something that happened, a death after birth was something unexpected. Especially since the family had connections to someone like Joshua, who had enough power and skill to literally bring the dead back to life if on the scene. 

“Sometimes children are just born sickly. While magic can extend their lives for a bit, if you can’t solve the underlying problem, it is only a matter of time.” Iris said sadly. “Ever since Charles, we’ve been very unlucky. But I still hope that this time things will be different.”

“...Would it be alright if I use a little [Identification Magic] to check on the baby?” Scarlet asked.

“By all means.” Iris said, not expecting much but not seeing a reason not to let the girl try.

Scarlet activated [True Sight] and used it to cast an identification spell on Iris’s fetus. She scanned through the massive amount of information she was being given, trying to search for a reason why Iris’s children had been dying, but it wasn’t until she cast the spell again on Iris herself that Scarlet noticed something.

“You’re Rh negative.” Scarlet said quietly, her magic identifying the missing proteins for her.

“Rh negative? What does that mean?” Iris asked.

“It’s a little hard for me to explain. You see, people have different proteins in their blood depending on their ‘blood-type’, they inherit from their parents. And these blood-types determine peoples compatibility when it comes to things like blood transfusions.” Scarlet said, though things like blood transfusions and organ donations didn’t exist in this world, since mid level [Healing Magic] could replace one’s blood, and organ failures of the kind that can’t be healed are rare and far between. But since Scarlet understood the theory of what the proteins were for, her [Identification Magic] allowed her to identify them. “If you have blood of an incompatible blood-type inside of your body, your immune system treats it as a threat and will make antibodies to attack it, and in your case, you and your baby have incompatible blood-types. This has likely been the case for all of your children.”

“What!?” Iris said in shock, her husband equally speechless. “But… But…”

“Did the baby’s have a yellowness to the skin around their eyes that didn’t go away?” Scarlet said, getting a nod from the parents. “It is a condition that is caused by their red blood cells being attacked and no longer being able to carry oxygen properly. If it last too long, it causes brain damage, and eventually death. And since the cause is natural, normal [Healing Magic] won’t be able to fix it.”

“But… But Charles turned out fine.” Iris said, not wanting to believe that it was because her and her husband were simply incompatible with one another.

“That is usually the case for the first child. It isn’t until the later stages in the pregnancy that problems start to occur, so Charles was born before your body had learned to create the antibodies that would have attacked him.” Scarlet explained.

Blood-types weren’t discovered until the 1900s, and only because of blood donations becoming a more common practice, so knowledge of it was basically nonexistent in this world, despite their ability to analyze the proteins inside of cells using magic. Not only that, because of leveling being a thing, Iris’s immune system was likely two or three times stronger than that of a woman on Earth, meaning the damage dealt to the newborn was even worse.

She wondered how many women had this exact same problem.

“Is there a cure?” Richard asked.

“Of course, once you identify the antibodies, it is just a matter of making a drug that surprises them for the last month or two of the pregnancy. There are also treatments that can be done for the child after birth in order to fix the problem in their blood, though I would say it is probably better not to wait that long, since there is the possibility of brain damage. I could probably make the medicine right now if you’d like.” Scarlet said. [Alchemy] and [Transmutation Magic] were extremely useful in situations like this. The chemicals needed to make the medicine could be found in the food on the table.

Iris didn’t know what to say, and Scarlet became flustered as the woman broke down into tears. She really wasn’t any good when people started crying.

The deaths of her children had not been easy on the woman. Beyond the fact that they were her babies, born from her body, it was her duty as a noblewoman to produce children to continue on the bloodline. For noblewomen, to be unable to produce more children was like there being something wrong with them. It wasn’t uncommon for women in her position to be discarded by their husbands and replaced.

While Richard would never do such a thing, the fear of being replaced was not something that could easily be shaken off.

“It seems like we are yet again in your debt.” Richard said as he went to comfort his wife.

“Not you too.” Scarlet said miserably. “Why do people keep going on and on about debts?”

Caesia could only chuckle at Scarlet's reaction. “You would think she would have gotten used to it by now.”

That night, Scarlet made her miracle drug which could prevent the ‘Noble Wife’s Curse’ which had long plagued the Nobility, saving the lives of hundreds of newborn children, and the reputations of their mothers. Because of this, the name ‘Rebecca’ would become the most popular baby name among young noble girls in the following years.

...Scarlet didn’t know how she felt about that.

Swamped by exams, homework, research papers... and my dog passed away... That last one is the one that really hurts. So I'm really not doing well right now.

Updates are probably going to slow and might even stop due to the onslaught of depression.

158