[ Arc 01 ][ 17 ] The Challenge
1.5k 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been several months since Lucia came to Alex’s home and started teaching him magic. During this time, she had first focused on making sure he could use all the known elements with strong control before moving onto focusing on making him control his output. This proved to be a difficult task for the boy because he was unsure how big the magic output should be.

For this, his teacher advised him, “Have a visual representation of a scenario that you want to play out when you use your spell. Like, in what size should the ball of fire appear, and what size should the ball of water have. Stuff like that. So, focus your mind and imagine the sizes you want them to be, and the Spirits of Life will guide your spell.”

So, Alex began focusing strongly on the visual representation of the size of the output. Gradually, he gained control over the amount of energy he was channeling into his magic spells and was soon capable of adjusting the output of his magic at will.

“Good!” Lucia had said on one sunny morning when Alex was showing off his ability to maintain the output of the magic spells like it was natural to him. “You’ve successfully gained control over your magic.”

“Yes,” he replied with a smile.

He, however, had question that had been bugging him for a while, ever since Luna’s first blunder in channeling the output of her energy ball. All this time, he kept it silently on the back of his mind, because he wanted to focus on his magic control before raising it. Now, feeling satisfied with his achievement, he finally raised the question with his teacher.

“Miss, I had been wondering for a while but… is it possible for energy users to use magic?”

Alex’s question made Lucia look very surprised, making her blink quickly at him in amazement.

“Y-You’re asking me whether energy users can use magic spells like us?” She asked for clarification, to which he nodded in assent. For a moment, she appeared as though she was thinking about it before responding to him, “I think they probably can’t considering they’re on the other side of the coin.”

“Sorry?” He asked, looking puzzled.

“I don’t believe energy users can use magic spells because they’re on the other end of the stream,” she said clearly, but her student continued to look confused. So she decided to explain her chain of thoughts by pulling out a coin and saying, “Let’s take a coin for example. You see this symbol on one side and a different symbol on the other, right?”

“Yes,” he said immediately while nodding his head in agreement.

“Do you think those two can appear at the same time?”

“No way,” he replied while shaking his head. “It’s impossible for them to appear at the same time.”

She nodded and said, “Likewise, do you think energy users can use magic?”

At her question, he looked up at her in amazement and asked, “M-Maybe not? I mean, this is a coin with fixed symbols, but we’re different. We’re able to change, right?”

He spoke doubtfully despite starting to understand what she was trying to explain to him with the coin. Basically, energy users and magic users were living in two separate spectrums that cannot change whenever they can. However, the flaw in that theory was that they were able to change while coins were set in stone and are unchangeable.

Lucia laughed at his doubtfulness and said, “I don’t doubt that energy users can’t use magic; however, such a feat has not happened yet. Like, there hasn’t been a being in this entire world capable of using both energy and magic at the same time. If they were capable, then that individual would be someone not to be taken lightly.”

Alex nodded at her and said, “Yes. That’s what I was curious about, miss, whether energy users are capable of using magic spells or not. Maybe not today, but maybe later in the future? After all, things may change some thirty years from now.”

At his statement, she giggled and asked, “What could change so drastically in thirty years’ time to make energy users to actively learn and use magic?”

“I don’t know,” he said with a shrug of his shoulders. “Maybe a troublesome situation causes people to look towards magic as it’s becomes more resourceful and powerful by that time?”

She laughed and ruffled his hair while saying, “For a young kid, you sure think big,” and gave him a wide smile in cheerfulness.

Alex merely looked at her with a small smile while thinking, “Sorry, miss, but I’m someone from the future. Although I lack the memories of my past, I know destruction is all that awaits us in the future, and… I have this feeling that there would be more magic users than energy users as the demand for magic increases.”

From there, they progressed into Alex learning to use different kinds of magic spells to perform some complex set of actions. Lucia got Alex started on learning this by first making the young boy bounce the water ball he conjured from one hand to the other and then back.

“Um... “ Alex said nervously, looking at his water ball and then at his teacher. He was not confident in his ability to do it at that time and stated it to her in saying, “I don’t think I can do that just yet.”

“Well, you’ve got to start from somewhere,” she replied with a bright smile. “It’s easy, Alex. Use your imagination and picture yourself throwing the water ball and catching it with your other hand.”

He blinked at her and remained silent for a moment before he looked at the water ball in his hand. His heart was beating faster, and he felt very nervous to attempt this feat due to the worry that it might not work.

“You can do it, Alex!” Shouted Luna from a few meters away, where she was training with Samuel.

Alex turned to her in surprise and saw her giving him a bright smile and a thumbs up gesture with both of her hands. Then he saw his father doing the same and felt very happy to see his family encouraging him in their own way. Filled with determination from all of their support, he looked back at his water ball and smiled confidently.

He took a deep breath and slowly let it out before moving his hand in an upward angle to throw the water ball. Like a solid ball being thrown, his water ball soared into the air and headed towards his other hand. Feeling a little amazed that it got launched, he immediately put out his other hand to catch it.

Alex was ready with his hand fully open for to catch the water ball, and as it landed, he grabbed it with that hand. In an instant, the water suddenly exploded and spilled out of his hand. He jumped back in shock at what had happened before looking disappointed at failing to catch it.

“Don’t be so tense, Alex,” his teacher advised him, and he looked up at her. “You’re nervous. Don’t be so nervous. Relax and catch it as if it’s just an ordinary ball. I know you can do it,” and she gave him a bright smile along with thumbs up gestures with the both of her hands.

Her student blinked at her in amazement before nodding with determination on his face. He failed twice more before gradually getting the hang of catching the water ball with his other hand. Once he was successful in capturing the ball without spilling so much as a drop, his teacher clapped her hands together energetically to praise him.

“Well done!” She said brightly, beaming happily at him. “You’ve managed to release your first magic spell with a purposeful action.” As he nodded with a smile on his face, she went on to say, “Let’s continue and have you get the hang of using your spells for a purposeful action.”

“Yes!” He replied with a smile of determination on his face, confident that he would succeed.

From then on, Lucia began to teach him to use his spells for various purposes, like throwing a water ball to catch with his other hand, then launching a fire ball into a tree to set it on fire, and then raining water down on it to put the fire out. Like that, their lessons went on for several months until he was finally able to use his magic spells proficiently.

“That’s so incredible!” Luna commented, watching him juggling several spheres of water simultaneously around him with his hands.

“I can even make them bounce around me,” he said happily, making the spheres float through the air and begin dancing around his shoulders, head, his hand and then back. “Pretty cool, right?”

“Yes!” Admitted his beloved childhood friend, mesmerised by the spectacle he was putting on.

“Yes, about that,” his teacher began wryly, “I didn’t actually teach him to do that, but it’s still impressive to achieve it nonetheless.”

Samuel, who was watching his son performing such a feat, looked very impressed and asked Lucia, “I’m happy that he can do this, but is this all that he’s able to do now?”

“Sir! You have no idea how difficult it had been these several months for your son to come this far!” She told him, looking appalled.

“I’m not doubting my son’s capability!” He replied quickly, realising he had caused a misunderstanding. “What I meant was is this all the magic that he can do right now? I thought he’d be able to heal injuries, increase his potential temporarily, and do a lot more that you showed of doing when you first got here.”

“Oh…!” Lucia said, finally understanding what he had meant and smiled at him. “I understand, sir, and don’t worry about your son. It may have taken him time to have full control his magic and its manipulation, so I’m confident he will learn faster from here on.”

Alex’s father nodded with a smile, but he turned to his son with a grim expression and said, “Alex.” At his father’s stoic voice, the young boy stopped his performance and turned to listen to his father saying, “Listen. Learning magic is great and all, but I’m feeling that you’re neglecting to train your body as well. I think, starting from tomorrow onwards, we’ll shift your magic lessons to evening while we focus on improving your speed, strength, and stamina during the morning training.”

“Huh?!” His son exclaimed, looking thoroughly taken aback by shock. “In the evening? Why, dad? I mean, is it really necessary to train my body to get stronger physically?”

“Of course!” His father replied automatically as if it was a given. “I firmly believe all men, no matter how good they are in using their energy or magic, should be physically strong enough to defend themselves against a close encounter.”

“But, dad, I got my magic to support me,” replied Alex coolly with a smile, which his magic teacher reflected on her smile as she swelled with pride by her student’s confidence.

However, his father looked very seriously at him and asked, “What if you face an enemy that took you by surprise where you’re unable to quickly deploy your spells to defend yourself? What if you ran out of energy to cast any kind of spell? What will you do then? Stand there like a statue and take his attack like a sitting duck?”

“Um…” Alex began and hesitated, unsure of what to reply to his father’s raised question.

He somehow got the feeling that his father was right, however, he was feeling very confident in his magic skills, further boosted by the vote of confidence his teacher had in him because, at that moment, she spoke in support of him.

“Sir, I think you’re being a little too harsh on him,” she said, turning and smiling at Alex to reassure him. Then she looked back at him and said, “He’s my student, sir, and I’m very confident in him being able to take care of himself with my teachings.”

Lucia had somewhat a deflated motion that she was capable of handling herself in a tight situation. However, Samuel was not like that as, unlike her, he grew up in poverty and understood the difficulties of society and knew that one’s strength played a vital role in protecting them when the time came, and after watching her for all these months, he figured out how sheltered she was raised.

He pointed out to her by saying, “Let me tell you something, Lucia. You grew up in a sheltered environment and have a somewhat idealistic understanding about the world, but let me tell you that’s not how it works. There’s good, bad, and the ugly that people just refuse to take notice of because it’s convenient for them to close their eyes and lead a false life.”

Her eyes narrowed at his statement and asked him, “Are you referring to the recent burglaries and killings that had occurred in the nearby town?” She sighed and told him, “Sir, these sorts of things also happen in the heart of the city as well. It’s everywhere, so how can you tell me that I’m being idealistic and not facing reality?”

“I’m not saying you’re not facing reality,” he began, trying to clear up the misunderstanding, “but I have this feeling that you’re taking for granted that we’ll be safe when there is no guarantee. We’re riddled with strife every single day of our lives, so a problem can happen at any second without notice and it will attack us ruthlessly!”

Lucia sighed wearily and said, “Sir, don’t you think you’re probably overworking? Maybe the stress of your job is clouding your judgement?”

This irritated Samuel very much, and he narrowed his eyebrows as he replied, “I’m perfectly… fine! It’s you that’s not understanding the good intentions that I’m telling my son to develop his body physically so that he’s prepared for anything!”

“Sir! Pardon my rudeness, but we could do a million things and still be unprepared!” Lucia said in an aggravated voice.

“That’s true,” he said, nodding at her in agreement, “but we do what we can to prepare ourselves. If everything falls apart, then there’s nothing we can do about it, but when we have the chance to make a change now, I say we take it and not argue stubbornly like this!”

Lucia looked hurt by his angry statement and replied imploringly, “Sir, I’m not arguing for the sake of it.” She shook her head and said, “No. I’m arguing because your decision to push my student’s lessons to the evening is something that I strongly disapprove.”

“Why is that?”

“He’ll be tired, sir!” She replied in an exasperated voice as if that obvious. “Training in the morning and having general knowledge lessons with his mother will leave him feeling very tired. He wouldn’t even have the time to play, let alone concentrate in his magic lessons!”

Suddenly, a loud clapping sound rang from the direction of the house, and they turned to see Sarah standing with her hands clapped together since she used it to make the sound to divert their attention. She was looking at the two of them with a grim expression on her face.

“Sarah!” Her husband asked, looking amazed. “Where did you come from?”

“I came from the house after hearing the two of you bickering in loud voices,” she replied in a voice that contained all of the annoyance she felt. “Don’t you notice our neighbours looking at us?”

It was then that both Lucia and Samuel realised what they had been doing and glanced around at the houses. Sure enough, people were watching them through their windows or poking their heads altogether out of the window to better hear what they were bickering about. Realising  their mistake, the two adults turned to face Sarah with a sheepish looks on their faces.

While Luna was looking around in amazement, Alex frowned as he noticed the watching neighbours and thought, “Don’t these people have anything better to do than eavesdrop on us?”

Sarah sighed at them and shook her head in disbelief before saying, “Whatever happened has happened, but I want you to stop bickering in the future. You’re causing too much attention to occur on us.”

“We’re sorry,” replied both Samuel and Lucia with sad faces.

“I didn’t ask for an apology,” replied Sarah heavily with a sigh. Then she looked at them seriously and suggested, “Anyway, in order to sort out your issue of laying out your respective plan, why don’t we hold a contest between you two?” As they looked at her in surprise, she continued on saying, “Have Alex have a mock battle with Luna and the winner gets to decide the schedule. How does that sound?”

There was a moment of silence as the two turned to look at one another with firm looks on their faces. Both of them had high pride in themselves and did not believe they simply obey what someone else told them when they firmly believe something else. As such, their decision was made in an instant.

“Let’s do that!” Lucia said, smiling confidently while Samuel nodded in agreement while folding his arms in front of him with a serious expression on his face.

Sarah looked at them and nodded her head in assent before saying, “Alright. We’ll hold the contest between Alex and Luna this weekend, meaning five days from now. Make sure to sort out your issues and whatever else you got on your chest there and then itself. Got it.”

Both Lucia and Samuel nodded in agreement, looking towards each other with determination on their faces. Alex, and Luna looked up at the adults and then at each other helplessly, feeling they were needlessly dragged into something they did not want to be a part of.

Thus, in an unexpected turn of events, a contest was decided to be held between Alex and Luna in five days time, with the victor getting to choose the appropriate times for Alex to attend his lessons with his father, mother and teacher.

14