Chapter 3: Improvement
488 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Chapter 3: Improvement]

After obtaining sword proficiency I checked out any changes that may have occurred. Swinging my sword a few times I felt no significant change in myself outside of the effects of practice. These findings lead me towards the idea that skills are crystallizations of my experiences, rather than some higher encompassing change. Though the skill may just be too low level to notice.

With my new skill in hand I somehow felt much stronger. Filled with new courage I decided to go explore new locations… as soon as I go to sleep. Remembering the time I lay down for the night. Waking up the next morning; I take my newfound confidence and walk into the unexplored side of the forest.

For a while things seem to go well without any encounters at all. However, were I truly paying attention I may have realized that the forest seemed lifeless compared to what I have already explored – almost as if the forest was holding its breath. Soon I reached a clearing similar to where I encountered the goblins, just with the area being a bit smaller and more desolate. Furthering the similarities the area had its own monsters as well.

These new creatures were about a head taller than the goblins, beige, slight furry, and had rounded ears and noses. Furthermore, they had large nostrils as well. One could easily tell that their sense of smell are these things forte. But, while predictable, I still felt terror upon all of the creatures suddenly all turning to look right at me before charging with a roar. With all previous notions of my power shattered I ran with everything I had hearing several creatures screaming war cries behind me.

Using every bit of strength available to me being used, I ran faster than I ever thought I could manage, fear fine tuning my escape. While panting so hard I had no room to scream, I passed the stream reaching the forest area the goblins controlled. Despite the risk of encountering more danger I resolved to go as far as needed to escape my pursuers. However, it ended up unnecessary as the creatures stopped at the stream, immediately losing all motivation and turning back with almost a sulk.

Laying down in the brush attempting to regain any amount of strength I process what happened. I use what little info I have to infer that the stream must split the territories of the goblins and the creatures that chased me. So as long as I stay on this side I shouldn’t encounter them again. Although, if I antagonize them I doubt they would stop just because of me leaving their territory.

On the bright side I notice an announcement.

[Skill obtained]

[Flee| lv: 1]

[When running away increases movement speed by 4%]

A useful, if a bit mocking, skill was obtained in a moment of life or death. Despite the proven effects on my growth the encounter had, I will attempt to minimize situations like that for some time.

Dragging my self back to my cave before washing the best I can in the relatively sterile stream. With me barely managing to complete my exercises, which I continue even after obtaining a skill from it, I soon take an early bed due to exhaustion.

Now armed with a better understanding of my place in this environment I decide to lay as low as possible while building up my strength. Days go by in relative tranquility as I explore my environment.

Even so, excitement is to be found in small but meaningful events. The most notable being me managing to catch a rabbit that I found drinking from the lake. It was a rather lucky event as it tripped as while running away, allowing me to successfully hunt it. While it was my first time doing anything of that sort, the thought of being able to have meat allowed me to be decisive enough to carry out the act. And upon its death I had a strange but not unpleasant sensation as if something entered me, which I figured had to be xp.

After my successful hunt I brought it back to be skinned. However, it would be a hard enough task for someone with proper tools, while all I have a barely sharp stick. Needless to say it was completely ruined in the process. And after burning it I vowed to practice more later.

In other matters, I was forced to realize that I need better tools. So from that day onward I practiced sharpening stones instead of sticks for higher efficiency. With my new plans, I set down to work for the foreseeable future.

[  |Name: Yellow Stone|

   |Species: human|

   |Class: Scholar|

   |Lv: 1|

   |Hp: 10/10|   |Mp: 33/33|

   |Str: 1|   |Dex: 1|   |Agi: 1|   |End: 1|   |Int: 11|   |Cha: 1|   |Luk: 1|

   |Skills: [Basic sword proficiency| lv: 1] [Flee| lv: 1]|   ]

11